Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

I have been testing out my new multi fuel stove.: bring it on

Got enough fuel for a long cold hard winter, or enough money to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I am new here, I saw this thread when I typed Another Sever weather warming issued for winter in Google, looking all over the net, then i found this thread.

This thread looks like a lot of fun, (This why i join the site ) as i also fan of Winter.

I also think this winter will be another Snowy cold one, This Winter going to be even more Snowy then last year (I am also hoping for one as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Tindie wrote: »
    I am new here, I saw this thread when I typed Another Sever weather warming issued for winter in Google, looking all over the net, then i found this thread.

This thread looks like a lot of fun, (This why i join the site ) as i also fan of Winter.

I also think this winter will be another Snowy cold one, This Winter going to be even more Snowy then last year (I am also hoping for one as well)

you'll need a ticket for one of these
    300px-Dorney_Park_Steel_Force_Thunderhawk.jpg
    darkman2 offers the best value :D

delw wrote: »
    you'll need a ticket for one of these
    300px-Dorney_Park_Steel_Force_Thunderhawk.jpg
    darkman2 offers the best value :D

I hates rides, I used to like them but not anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just as a observational thing, whilst driving today along a long tree lined road , i noticed all the leaves falling off and all the trees with their orange leaves etc.

Is it just me or does it seem a few weeks earlier this year , the dullness of the days the last few weeks mustnt of helped the trees at all.

Just as a observational thing, whilst driving today along a long tree lined road , i noticed all the leaves falling off and all the trees with their orange leaves etc.

Is it just me or does it seem a few weeks earlier this year , the dullness of the days the last few weeks mustnt of helped the trees at all.

I suspect that as we've had such a poor summer, they're preparing for winter earlier than usual, plus the fact that most of us here are watching closer than usual for signs of a forthcoming cold winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Autumn is early in my back garden too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This years weather was just plain weird....

A very cold winter, strangely warmish spring, virtually no summer and now heading straight for winter. The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness hmmm I think not....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Well I bought an old dog of a Fourtrak for the whiteout this year...I estimate that by the tingling in my willy that it'll snow from November 23 right up to Feb 17th Bring it on !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well I bought an old dog of a Fourtrak for the whiteout this year...I estimate that by the tingling in my willy that it'll snow from November 23 right up to Feb 17th Bring it on !!!!!

I had that before. You should go to a doctor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hillbillyhilux

Apparently too many winter threads? Not enough I'd say.

Long time lurker first time poster.. Just thought I'd jump on the wagon and start another snow related thread.
    I was following the winter chat on here last year too and feelt I should now contribute.
    Well what sort of prepping have people been doing in advance of the snow? Not just around the house but vehicle-wise also?
    I know after last year we will be more than ready,with a wood burning stove, a good supply of logs also got 10 rolls of insulation into the attic. As the user name would suggest I bought a pickup.
    So has anyone got any tips or suggestions that they may have found usefull in previous winters that they would like to share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Guys 'n gals, I've closed a couple of the other snow/winter threads that were springing up as it was getting a little ridiculous - it's only September! So keep doing as you're doing, post discussion about the coming winter in Ireland in this thread, and we'll keep the other Snow and Ice thread for talking about Arctic Sea Ice and other northern hemisphere snow, as it says on the tin. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Apparently too many winter threads? Not enough I'd say.

Long time lurker first time poster.. Just thought I'd jump on the wagon and start another snow related thread.
    I was following the winter chat on here last year too and feelt I should now contribute.
    Well what sort of prepping have people been doing in advance of the snow? Not just around the house but vehicle-wise also?
    I know after last year we will be more than ready,with a wood burning stove, a good supply of logs also got 10 rolls of insulation into the attic. As the user name would suggest I bought a pickup.
    So has anyone got any tips or suggestions that they may have found usefull in previous winters that they would like to share?

What snow ? I think its time for a reality check folks. Fair enough, we got heaps of snow last year but there is no guarantee whatsoever that Ireland will get any snow at all this year.

I feel there might be a lot of disappointed people on these boards come the end of winter 2011/2012................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

derekon wrote: »
    What snow ? I think its time for a reality check folks. Fair enough, we got heaps of snow last year but there is no guarantee whatsoever that Ireland will get any snow at all this year.

I feel there might be a lot of disappointed people on these boards come the end of winter 2011/2012................

Couldnt have said it better:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Only people who live on high ground are guaranteed snow every winter - above 200m asl.

Well that is what I find, never had a winter with no snow, even the mildest ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Derekon, you can't guarantee there won't be snow either :p.

Seriously, though I think most people are wise enough to know that snow is not a certainty in this country. I think it's more giddy/child-like excitement at the prospect of seeing more snow this winter. Well it is in my case anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

your right there is no guarantee of snow this winter although there is a higher chance of a cold snowy winter this year, due to la nina,jet stream low solar activity and weakened gulf stream, it may not be be guaranteed cold winter although there is a higher chance of this winter being a very cold one than a mild one ..hah :p

Back in Feb 2009

I used to work in Aston, and brother picked me up that day and when i left work, it was snowing in Aston not sticking) (This was first year we moved to Streetly Sutton Coldfield, we moved in July 2008)

As my brother was driving to Streetly Sutton Coldfield, (We made a bet (I said it will stick by are house and he said he not going stick anywhere) there was no snow that was sticking, not even by the Asda down the road from us, which is 2 min drive from are house)

When we got to our road, it was all white (I told my brother to give the £10 )

Happy memories :)

I am so happy that i am on high ground!

so cold outside and its september, 11 degrees in dublin, feels even colder, strong winds and heavy rain...its unbelievable its been raining hevily with strong winds non stop literally from september 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

*Bookmarks post for later use :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Pangea wrote: »
    *Bookmarks post for later use :pac: :pac: :pac:

fact ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

he who beleaves has the last laugh alot of people here like our goverment with the roads last year not prepared :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

jimmy.d wrote: »
    he who beleaves has the last laugh alot of people here like our goverment with the roads last year not prepared :D

They listened this year and hav ordered a triple supply of salt.

WILL IT BE ENOUGH? hahaha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Did anyone see Evelyn Cusack on the weather forecast, i think it was yesterday.
    She basically said that there have been a lot of long range winter forecasts going around predicting a cold winter coming. And that everyone should ignore them because the longest a scientific weather forecast can predict is about 10days.
    She must be getting a lot of questions from people about snow this winter so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Did anyone see Evelyn Cusack on the weather forecast, i think it was yesterday.
    She basically said that there have been a lot of long range winter forecasts going around predicting a cold winter coming. And that everyone should ignore them because the longest a scientific weather forecast can predict is about 10days.
    She must be getting a lot of questions from people about snow this winter so!

I'm sure Evelyn has a look at this forum now and again. ;)

Surely the government have to realise aswell that some forecasters could be right?
    WHat else would they be going on by getting so much salt for this year? ha :)

I'm sure Evelyn has a look at this forum now and again. ;)

she may even post for a laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Surely the government have to realise aswell that some forecasters could be right?
    WHat else would they be going on by getting so much salt for this year? ha :)

Making sure there isn't a repeat of last year regardless of forecasts maybe?

Making sure there isn't a repeat of last year regardless of forecasts maybe?

True true... but its alot of money to be spending in current times without any backup thought..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

True true... but its alot of money to be spending in current times without any backup thought..?

The cost of tripling the road salt/grit reserves to our economy would be about equivalent to the effect an otter's fart into an amazonian tributary would have on katia's path over the atlantic ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It has been very cold tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

They listened this year and hav ordered a triple supply of salt.

So we'll last a full week before they run out this year.

And as we discovered last year it is easy for the NRA to claim they have ordered massive amounts of salt but it is of feck all use if it is in a warehouse in Africa waiting for someone to collect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

I never understood why they had to ship salt in from overseas when it is mined on the island. Link to Irish Salt Mines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Coles wrote: »
    I never understood why they had to ship salt in from overseas when it is mined on the island. Link to Irish Salt Mines.

It's the first rule of the NRA (and Irish Civil Service in general). If it seems to be the obvious, easy and efficent solution you've missed something so go for a harder solution where you already know the problems. Seriously next time your man from the NRA is on the radio listen to him do the hard sell on some stupidly complicated proposal and then dismiss the obvious solution from the interviewer/listeners with a vague answer that boils down to well it's more complicated than that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Coles wrote: »

Isn't that the mine that has a contract to supply the UK with their salt needs?

And didn't we discuss this last year and it turned out that shipping it in from southern Europe was actually cheaper and larger stocks could be delivered in one go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm in a child like mind when it comes to snow this year. I we don't get tons of it I will be like this

tumblr_l8nu0iLgvX1qzx2fh_thumb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

On the news on radio 1 today the were talking about severe winter weather and if it makes a return this year and having the right equipment in the house to deal with it. Some guest was talking i didnt catch his name was listing of some of the 62 items needed. Wait for this! One was having a BBQ :eek: I never laughed so much i nearly crashed the car. I just tought to myself we will all be having BBQ's if we have a winter like last year, So its to my house first Ladies and Gentleman.:D BBQ classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    On the news on radio 1 today the were talking about severe winter weather and if it makes a return this year and having the right equipment in the house to deal with it. Some guest was talking i didnt catch his name was listing of some of the 62 items needed. Wait for this! One was having a BBQ :eek: I never laughed so much i nearly crashed the car. I just tought to myself we will all be having BBQ's if we have a winter like last year, So its to my house first Ladies and Gentleman.:D BBQ classic!
    The UK Met Office were a laughing stock when the predicted a "barbecue summer" (it wasn't!!) a couple of years ago but I never thought I'd ever hear of a barbecue winter:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you see power outages or burst gas pipes, you might be glad of the aul BBQ ;)

(Why would a gas pipe burst? I dunno... :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the cost of having sufficient salt supplies for the same snow levels as last year (or worse), is far outweighed by the money it saves the ecomony by keeping the roads open and traffic moving

Ok so whats the story with everyone saying its gona snow in a few weeks time?
    http://www.herald.ie/news/hurricane-katia-heading-our-way-2870989.html

The news comes as it was revealed Ireland is set to be under a blanket of heavy snow within weeks.

Forecasters say temperatures matching last year's record lows of -17.5C are just around the corner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Story on a big freeze within weeks on Tv 3 news in the next few minutes.

Looking foward to reading M.T's winter outlook

went onto tv3 nd come dine with me is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

bb1234567 wrote: »
    went onto tv3 nd come dine with me is on?

did you miss it then ? i seen it.. looks savage :D

snow in 3 weeks , happy days :)

• Advertisement

Looking foward to reading M.T's winter outlook

If memory serves he didnt release it last year until November, maybe if winter comes in October this year he will have to release it earlier. :D

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=62519&locID=1.2&pagename=news

Pangea wrote: »
    If memory serves he didnt release it last year until November, maybe if winter comes in October this year he will have to release it earlier. :D

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=62519&locID=1.2&pagename=news
    Saw it on the news, as Martin King said take it with a pinch of salt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just read the following post over on UK's TWO (The Weather Outlook) boards about this coming winter....

Personally, I don't think a relatively weak La Nina is going to have much of an impact on our winter this year.

I would punt for conditions in the pacific to be pretty much neutral throughout autumn and winter.

I am more interested in solar activity, and current patterns when looking towards my LRF.

I believe that the activity has increased in this respect in recent months, and this will (in my opinion) have an impact this winter.

Early thoughts are a much less severe winter than the previous two, although perhaps lasting a little longer when any cold spells do materialise.
    I don't expect January and February to be record-breakingly mild, but equally, I don't anticipate December to be record-breakingly cold.

First opinion from my perspective is that a more "average" winter is likely, based on the balance of probability.

That's not to say I don't expect some interest from all quarters during December/January & February.

I will continue to collate the data that I use for formulating my LRF and I will issue preliminary thoughts at the end of October, followed by my full LRF on November 30th.

This post was made by a poster called "Moomin 75" - if memory serves me correct, is this not the same poster that MT Cranium works with to formulate his annual winter forecast ? If it is the same poster, it does not bode very well for a cold snowy winter........:mad:

This post was made by a poster called "Moomin 75" - if memory serves me correct, is this not the same poster that MT Cranium works with to formulate his annual winter forecast ? If it is the same poster, it does not bode very well for a cold snowy winter........:mad:
    i think MT works with "Blast from the past" to formulate his annual winter forecast if im not mistaken,well im sure he did last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Snownagedon then ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement