Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

PMBC wrote: »
    I know I need to 'put in the hard work' to develop some familiarity. Now I've started reading this thread from the beginning. So far Ive learned to use AltGr key with 4$ to type €. For the last few years I've been using E!!
    From such small steps .....etc.
    Thanks to the OP for that one.

I use Ctrl+Alt+4 to get €
    Don't worry, it'll all come to you as you use it and get used to it. I remember when I started on computers back in the 80's I didn't even know the meaning of landscape and portrait, when I found out I wondered why they didn't just say A4 and longwise!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Thanks Jellybaby! I just learnt nice trick with emojis. Windows symbol key and the full stop key pressed together give a panel of emojis to include in text.

😛 see it worked even in here so not stuck wiht the smilie choice on right! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nice one! ��

Edit - oh drat it didn't work! Why did it work for Garlinge and not for me?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not all emojis are supported by Boards, Looksee. :)

That's very unreasonable of them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could even say :( :mad:!

So sorry.... you could try it out in some other site? I use in online game where previous only had :) and :( and spade, heart, club or diamond symbol.

👩

Garlinge wrote: »
    Thanks Jellybaby! I just learnt nice trick with emojis. Windows symbol key and the full stop key pressed together give a panel of emojis to include in text.

�� see it worked even in here so not stuck wiht the smilie choice on right! ��

�� Sweet! ✨������*�� Ta-daaa!! Thanks Garlinge. Awwwww! �� :(

Other half tells me it might be a feature of present laptop Microsoft. 👩

Other half tells me it might be a feature of present laptop Microsoft. 👩

Only one of mine came out properly. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all

I need to send my details by PDF to a Solicitor. But I want to Password Protect same - any recommendations of a good free utility to do so??

regards

OSI wrote: »
    Adobe actually have an online utility to do just that:

https://www.adobe.com/ie/acrobat/online/password-protect-pdf.html

Hi ...is it free do you know?? Am having problems logging in at moment...but will try later.

many thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Masala wrote: »
    Hi all

I need to send my details by PDF to a Solicitor. But I want to Password Protect same - any recommendations of a good free utility to do so??

regards

What about creating a password protected Zip file of the PDF?

What about creating a password protected Zip file of the PDF?

Ya... I have also found that. I have WinZip and most of my end recipients come back to me complaining that nothing arrived!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is indeed.

A lot of email servers will reject a Zip file.

Put the protected Zip into a folder and send that folder.
    I think that bypasses the refusal to transfer a protected Zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Sorry I know this is a serious thread - but in case anyone feels their questions are silly they can’t be any worse than what my mother thought:
    She thought that you need the switch on the printer in order to send an email. So every time before sending an email she would get up, plug in and switch on her printer before clicking send.
    I think she did this for years before sending one in my presence and I was like ‘are you printing something’ lol.

Adobe actually have an online utility to do just that:

https://www.adobe.com/ie/acrobat/online/password-protect-pdf.html

Unfortunately - its says 'Protected Files cant be Sent' when trying to email off the PDF. I reckon it wants me to pay a subs to get rid of this option

New Home wrote: »

Many thanks - but this suits going from Word to a PDF and then protecting.

I have a PDF already populated and just need this passworded!!!

Could you convert it to Word, add the password and convert it back again? I guess it'll depend on what version of Acrobat you have. There are some other alternatives, but read the T&Cs and Privacy statements carefully. :)

• Advertisement

I know this thread isn't really the place for the printer story above, but it made me laugh, so I shall leave it :D

(and I kinda get where she was coming from :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

PDFEncrypt ( https://pdfencrypt.net ) a free, open-source native app that allows you to password protect (encrypt) PDF files for free might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Masala wrote: »
    Many thanks - but this suits going from Word to a PDF and then protecting.

I have a PDF already populated and just need this passworded!!!
    Libre office will do all.

Open writer, write out your stuff.

Click File-->Export as-->Export as pdf-->click security tab

This is less computer question and more internet query. I've been watching the TV series Cuckoo on Netflix. I didn't really enjoy it, acting great, but too wacky for me. So I come on Boards to see if anyone ever commented and read a thread in the Television forum, everyone loved it. Ok, that's that. I logged out of Boards and decided to browse my other interests on Youtube and BOOM, Greg Davies and Taylor Lautner in Cuckoo pop up all over the screen! I've never searched for Cuckoo, Davies, or Lautner on Youtube ever. I hadn't even signed into Youtube either. Am I being stalked? :eek:

This is less computer question and more internet query. I've been watching the TV series Cuckoo on Netflix. I didn't really enjoy it, acting great, but too wacky for me. So I come on Boards to see if anyone ever commented and read a thread in the Television forum, everyone loved it. Ok, that's that. I logged out of Boards and decided to browse my other interests on Youtube and BOOM, Greg Davies and Taylor Lautner in Cuckoo pop up all over the screen! I've never searched for Cuckoo, Davies, or Lautner on Youtube ever. I hadn't even signed into Youtube either. Am I being stalked? :eek:
    You're tracked all over the net.

FFVII wrote: »
    You're tracked all over the net.

Well, the cheek! :( Didn't realise it was so blatantly in your face like that. I'm seriously thinking of closing my subscription with YT now but I enjoy connecting with people with the same interests as me. Oh well.

Well, the cheek! :( Didn't realise it was so blatantly in your face like that. I'm seriously thinking of closing my subscription with YT now but I enjoy connecting with people with the same interests as me. Oh well.
    you can use firefox, adblock, ghostery, privacy badger, duckduckgo, don't use gmaps, don't use gmail, lock down android and on and on it goes...:pac:

I have adblock and ghostery. I use google maps, gmail, you tube, and I generally accept cookies because I usually can't be bothered sorting them out, but I haven't noticed a serious amount of 'stalking'. I get virtually nothing in the way of spam.

Every so often I will go into Chrome and 'clear cookies'.

• Advertisement

FFVII wrote: »
    you can use firefox, adblock, ghostery, privacy badger, duckduckgo, don't use gmaps, don't use gmail, lock down android and on and on it goes...:pac:

I am already using firefox. I have gmail though. Never heard of adblock, ghostery, badger or duckduckgo, don't know what lock down android means!
    looksee wrote: »
    I have adblock and ghostery. I use google maps, gmail, you tube, and I generally accept cookies because I usually can't be bothered sorting them out, but I haven't noticed a serious amount of 'stalking'. I get virtually nothing in the way of spam.

Yes I use google maps, gmail and youtube too. Sometimes I accept cookies but sometimes I check what I'm accepting and they in the main not 'on' only the essential ones so I click 'save' and then 'close' on the sites I've used.
    Every so often I will go into Chrome and 'clear cookies'.

We do that regularly too, at least himself does. :)

A lot of new fangleddanglers mentioned here. Sorry folks, technology passed me out along the way. :(

Advertisement