Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eircom - Securing Your Router (Wireless)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

k123456 wrote: »
    How do i check if my laptop wireless card does support WPA

It should be in the manual, online or if you have a WPA network, try it!
    k123456 wrote: »
    Thinking of changing my wireless router's security from Wep to WPA

In addition to my laptop wirelessly connecting to my router, I have an ATA wired to one of the wireless routers ethernet ports .

Am I correct in assuming that WEP, WPA etc have nothing to do with the ethernet ports of the router

Yes, they are completely different. WPA applies to the wireless / radio bit only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublindanny

please,can anyone help me,i did a stupid thing and reset my router and now its looking for a user nameand password,i tried my internet provider,perlico,and they cannot help and suggested i ring netopia england,i tried and the number is not ringing,how can i find the correct user name and password?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

please,can anyone help me,i did a stupid thing and reset my router and now its looking for a user nameand password,i tried my internet provider,perlico,and they cannot help and suggested i ring netopia england,i tried and the number is not ringing,how can i find the correct user name and password?
    Try "admin" and "password' all lower case.
    It's Netgear's thing.

maybe it's looking for your eircom log-in
    User: [email protected]
    Password: broadband1
    Good luck!

thanks for quick reply,eventually got it part working,i have laptop ok but i cant get my protec6900 to connect,every time i go into internet network d.c.h.p. showing all zeros and when i go between static and dchp machine locks up,trying to find solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Anyone using two computers on an eircom network (one vista, one xp) find the xp has randomly stopped working with the internet?

The xp has excellent signal strength to the router, is apparently all connected and is able to connect to the eircom router page (dunno if thats what you call it, but its 192.168.1.254) with no problems but when connecting to, say, google it says server not found. I have tried everything!! Nothing seems to work.

• Advertisement

thanks to all who came to my aid,in the end i purchased a zyxel router and so far everything is good.:)

Anyone using two computers on an eircom network (one vista, one xp) find the xp has randomly stopped working with the internet?

The xp has excellent signal strength to the router, is apparently all connected and is able to connect to the eircom router page (dunno if thats what you call it, but its 192.168.1.254) with no problems but when connecting to, say, google it says server not found. I have tried everything!! Nothing seems to work.

Thats very strange. I run 4 different OS types from an Eircom router. OS's have nothing to do with the router so I doubt there is a Vista / XP conflict. That sounds like a DNS problem. Open your command prompt, type "tracert www.google.ie" then hit Enter. Tell us what you get.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thats very strange. I run 4 different OS types from an Eircom router. OS's have nothing to do with the router so I doubt there is a Vista / XP conflict. That sounds like a DNS problem. Open your command prompt, type "tracert www.google.ie" then hit Enter. Tell us what you get.

it just says that tracert is not recognised as an internal or external commant, operable program or batch file.

I dunno...

it just says that tracert is not recognised as an internal or external commant, operable program or batch file.

I dunno...
    tracert www.google.ie

or
    ping www.google.ie

Check your spelling. Its a default windows command.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The link for the key generator seems to be broken,don't know if the soroban site is down or what.Any other links for a generator?

Oh found one, thanks for the thread btw.

• Advertisement

dubtom wrote: »
    The link for the key generator seems to be broken,don't know if the soroban site is down or what.Any other links for a generator?

Oh found one, thanks for the thread btw.

Oh, your right. Could be a glich.

However, any password will do. Just make sure it includes letters, numbers and characters. So:
    a-good&boards/password2010

Most hacks on WPA use dictionary based attacks. The less dictionary words you use, especially Gaelic words, in addition to numbers and special characters, you'll be fine. Most people arn't bothered with WPA as it takes too long on a normal PC even with Rainbow Tables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I am experiencing similar problems at the home at the moment, both my mother's(Windows 7) and brother's(Vista) laptops will say they are connected but when you go view a page you are presented with "this page is not available".
    ping www.google.ie gives
    "ping request could not find host www.google.ie. Please check the name and try again"
    tracert www.google.ie gives:
    "Unable to resolve target system name www.google.ie."

The desktop PC at home(XP) is connected directly into the modem via the ethernet port and works fine. My Macbook(OSX 10.6) and me my brother iPod Touches (iOS 4) also work over the wifi. I have been fixing my friends laptop and after upgrading him to windows 7 his laptop can connect to the net over the wifi just fine.
    I think if I rebooted the laptops back to factory spec. the problem might go away but obviously it would be better to find out whats going on here. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

All I can say is my problem turned out to be a problem with the motherboard. I got it replaced several months ago and now everything is fine.

I can't really be of any help, I'm not very experienced in this field. Sorry!

I am experiencing similar problems at the home at the moment, both my mother's(Windows 7) and brother's(Vista) laptops will say they are connected but when you go view a page you are presented with "this page is not available".
    ping www.google.ie gives
    "ping request could not find host www.google.ie. Please check the name and try again"
    tracert www.google.ie gives:
    "Unable to resolve target system name www.google.ie."

The desktop PC at home(XP) is connected directly into the modem via the ethernet port and works fine. My Macbook(OSX 10.6) and me my brother iPod Touches (iOS 4) also work over the wifi. I have been fixing my friends laptop and after upgrading him to windows 7 his laptop can connect to the net over the wifi just fine.
    I think if I rebooted the laptops back to factory spec. the problem might go away but obviously it would be better to find out whats going on here. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

If on both PC's you can connect to the router (192.168.1.254) but not to Google, then its a DNS fault. Can you post up exactly what everything is and how its connected?

I can not connect to the router via 192.168.1.254. Dose this mean it is a problem with the laptops hardware/software?

I can not connect to the router via 192.168.1.254. Dose this mean it is a problem with the laptops hardware/software?

Can you post up like this:

PC - Windows 7 - Connected by Cable - No Google
    Laptop - MacOS - Connected by Wifi - Working

etc

Router - Netopia 2247NWG (eircom)
    PC - Windows XP - Connected by ethernet port - Working Fine
    Laptop - Windows 7 - Connected by Wifi - No Google
    Laptop - Windows Vista - Connected by Wifi - No Google
    Laptop - OSX 10.6 - Connected by Wifi - working fine
    iPod Touch - iOS 4.0 - Connected by Wifi - working fine (x2)

Router - Netopia 2247NWG (eircom)
    PC - Windows XP - Connected by ethernet port - Working Fine
    Laptop - Windows 7 - Connected by Wifi - No Google
    Laptop - Windows Vista - Connected by Wifi - No Google
    Laptop - OSX 10.6 - Connected by Wifi - working fine
    iPod Touch - iOS 4.0 - Connected by Wifi - working fine (x2)

Ok, excellent. And with the No Google machines can you access the router at 192.168.1.254?

It sounds like the two No Google machines are not getting a DNS address.

both windows laptops give the same "cannot connect" message when I try to access 192.168.1.254

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

both windows laptops give the same "cannot connect" message when I try to access 192.168.1.254

It might just be that the windows laptops are not getting an IP address via DHCP from the router . Check the network settings for the wireless adapters and/or run 'ipconfig /all' from a command prompt and post the results.

• Advertisement

ipconfig gives
    Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c405:55d5:7e1f:7f5f%13
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8389263F-DE6F-4B86-9A5C-11EC907FE3BD}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{4D29BA0F-7D5A-4C52-AE7B-C9B9C6E75D82}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

ipconfig gives

That looks normal. Can you run 'ipconfig /all' instead of just 'ipconfig'?

ipconfig/all:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Heneghan-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11bg 54Mbps
    USB 2.0 Network Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-1A-04-41-DB-53
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c405:55d5:7e1f:7f5f%13(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 September 2010 16:56:00
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 September 2010 17:56:00
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335553119
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-C5-6C-9F-00-03-0D-E0-81-DD

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS191 Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-0D-E0-81-DD
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8389263F-DE6F-4B86-9A5C-11EC907FE3BD}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Again nothing obviously wrong there. Right ! Time for the scattergun approach to troubleshooting ;)

1.Check that the laptops work okay when connected to the router with an ethernet cable
    2. Verify that the Win7 & Vista laptops can connect to other wireless networks.
    3. Turn off all other wireless devices and try one laptop at a time on your wireless network (jut in case one of devices is interfering in some way)
    4. Change the SSID & key on the wireless router and try again (in case the laptops have saved some odd settings related to the current network).
    5. Change the security (e.g. WPA, WPA2 etc.) and encryption type (TKIP etc.) on the router.
    6. Change the wireless channel on the router (it's probably on 6 so try 1 and 11).
    7. Try this tip from DrunkMonkey on another thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Right so.

Used to have a wired eircom router which i connected to a belkin wireless router to broadcast my broadband to PC laptop and iMac.

Upgraded to an eircom wireless router to save clutter. I set it up using the cd with my laptop.

On iMac it connected automatically (once I entered the security key on the bottom of the router) but when I connect on my laptop the connection says local only and I cannot connect to the internet :(

Please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 jay dev

How can i view my wpa key:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

Hi,

Mine is set-up using WEP (I know you said it's bad)...BUT I have the MAC option also set-up. Is it secure enough with BOTH WEP & MAC or should I change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

WAP can be cracked , it may take longer ( a few more minutes ) but can be cracked .

GAFF wrote: »
    Hi,

Mine is set-up using WEP (I know you said it's bad)...BUT I have the MAC option also set-up. Is it secure enough with BOTH WEP & MAC or should I change it?

Yes, change it. Your average user can crack WEP. Takes a little more cunning to spoof a MAC (Most won't bother or know, but still a risk)

mach1982 wrote: »
    WAP can be cracked , it may take longer ( a few more minutes ) but can be cracked .

Its WPA ;) Your right it can be cracked but you significantly increase the time if you take words outside the dictionary. WPA cracking is currently based (Mostly) on precomputated tables such as RainBow or Look Up tables. So if your password was say "dublin" it would most likely fall in seconds. However if your password was "dub1n_g34@7" it would not appear in a rainbow table and hence forth a requirement to brute force would be required. That password would take a very long time to crack. There are new methods using packets and vectors like the original WEP attack, but from reading up on them, they are still taking quite some time to fully crack WPA. Remembering also that WPA has variants such as WPA-PSK and WPA2.

Its important to note however that any password system will eventually fall with enough computational power behind it. So the stronger you make your password, the longer it will take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭rcanpolat

Don't forget to turn on WPS ;)

I mean OFF! http://www.tacnetsol.com/news/2011/12/28/cracking-wifi-protected-setup-with-reaver.html

Also WPA can still be nuked using Amazon's Cloud and a bit of tegra support. Spend 10 to 20 euro and there is a good chance you'll murder the password within an hour

Advertisement