Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring and limiting bandwidth per MAC on Netopia 2247?

Options
  • 18-03-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to limit the bandwidth each MAC address is able to use on a Netopia 2247, and if so how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Further, is there a way to see. either on the router config or running software on one of the clients, how much each client connected is using?

BUMP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No, it's the cheapest POS router Eircom can get their hands on. Bridge it and add a better one

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, it's the cheapest POS router Eircom can get their hands on. Bridge it and add a better one

Thanks, any recommendations? It does not need to be top of the line.

dusf wrote: »
    Thanks, any recommendations? It does not need to be top of the line.

That depends on your networking skills. I'd recommend Mikrotik, but they are really only for enthusiasts. Thread on configuring them here.

If that's over your head get a router that supports the DD-WRT firmware, most Linksys do, check the database.

• Advertisement

That depends on your networking skills. I'd recommend Mikrotik, but they are really only for enthusiasts. Thread on configuring them here.

I am an ethusiast, of sorts, I just do not have too much residential. I can maintain my employer's enterprise network on shift but I really can just do what I have been trained to do though I am learning more all the time and training is constant.

That router looks like a nice little project, which I shall consider!
    If that's over your head get a router that supports the DD-WRT firmware, most Linksys do, check the database.

Nice, I was also wondering is there some way I could install a custom firmware on the Netopia 2247 that would do what I need. For instance, I have read it is possible to install... I think it was called OpenWRT, or something similar, that would have allowed me to access the router here remotely from home and use it like a VPN/ssh tunnel without there having to be a computer on running a server Eircom side. I was trying to access Eircom study hub videos at the time.

Sounds like you already knew this, but I checked out the compatible devices for DD-WRT and the 2247 wasn't listed, that said Google led me to this thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=620409

The first responder is a d!ck, no?

The Netopia is a terible POS, forget it. It has incompatible hardware for any custom firmware

Advertisement