Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyway if they didn't think to sub him the last day they clearly have no intention of dropping him. He couldn't have as bad a day again in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rossmartin

Hi folks,
    I have 2 All Ireland Hurling final tickets, Tipp vs Kilkenny.
    For sale at face value
    Give me a ring or a text if interested or tell anyone who may be interested <snip>
    Cheers
    Ross

No personal contact details. PM user only.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

Tipperary not getting much credit at all this year.
    Should have held out against an excellent Limerick, a team that were Munster champions at the time, a team that pushed both Cork and Kilkenny close.
    They defeated Galway, most said it was a Galway collapse due to so many games despite Kilkenny winning the Leinster final the very next day having played the same two difficult games.
    They waltzed past Offaly and Dublin, of course it was Dublin who were flat, Tipp bet them by 13, a similar beating than what KK gave them.
    They then crushed Cork, last years Munster finalists, All Ireland finalists and this years Munster champions.

If I was Kilkenny, i'd take note. They are quality this year and playing the most attractive, dynamic hurling. Saying all this, Kilkenny have had their measure in big matches. It'll be close but i think Tipp will make it 2-2 in final matches, KK 2009, 2011, Tipp 2010, 2014.

Tipp by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, championship meetings each year with a few league finals thrown in for good measure. I suppose statistics can be used for any purpose and in this case for A.I finals only. Fair enough though not even remotely reflecting the true history between the sides since 2009. As for credit that never comes until after the A.I final and only then to the winners. Kilkenny won every competition they entered this year Walsh Cup, League and Leinster getting somewhat less credit even thanTipp.
    By the way Kilkenny by 8+

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, championship meetings each year with a few league finals thrown in for good measure. I suppose statistics can be used for any purpose and in this case for A.I finals only. Fair enough though not even remotely reflecting the true history between the sides since 2009. As for credit that never comes until after the A.I final and only then to the winners. Kilkenny won every competition they entered this year Walsh Cup, League and Leinster getting somewhat less credit even thanTipp.
    By the way Kilkenny by 8+

Come on the cats. Kilkenny the home of hurling. Up Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Tipp might have truly laced Corks boots in semi but the cats are different animals and Tipp will not win this one. Kk to win by 8 points jj to have a stormer and clean out Tipps forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

JJ will have to clear a lot of lines if KK win by 8, the KK defence ain't what
    It used ta be,would you reckon Buckley and Holden in the HB line would be
    Similar ta Tommy and JJ at their best??

Hello all. Any of the clubs receive their tickets yet.

68deville wrote: »
    JJ will have to clear a lot of lines if KK win by 8, the KK defence ain't what
    It used ta be,would you reckon Buckley and Holden in the HB line would be
    Similar ta Tommy and JJ at their best??

Few will ever be as good as Tommy and JJ in their prime. They are legends and will continue to be spoken of in years to come. We are blessed in Kilkenny to have had the two greatest half backs ever to play the game, play together for so long. I went to my 1st A.I final in 1957 and down the years I have never seen two better half backs either from Kilkenny or any other county. I cannot speak pre=1957 but those who can and know their hurling are mostly of the same opinion. It is a simple truth.
    I would not expect Joey Holden or Cillian Buckley to be as good but I am happy they are up to inter-county standard and a very high inter-county standard. Buckley in particular is still not in his prime and is the outstanding man in his position this year. The guy is exceptionally good and will make a great center back in years to come.
    The Tipp defense will have to clear just as much ball as the Kilkenny defense so we will wait and see who manages the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Tipp

• Advertisement

Blondie919 wrote: »
    If Corbett were to be dropped who would take his place?

I will. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 americanboi

surely kk have to win. henry's last? how much more of a reason do they need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

surely kk have to win. henry's last? how much more of a reason do they need?

Being honest Id be very surprised if that has any bearing on this game

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Tipperary win by five points, Lar Corbett to score two goals and drink the bitter tears of the Kilkenny supporters

Tipperary win by five points, Lar Corbett to score two goals and drink the bitter tears of the Kilkenny supporters

You must be dreaming lol.

Carlesberg dont do dreams but if they did, that would be one of the most extreme dreams of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

bgmfq.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Barry Kelly confirmed as referee for the final.

Barry Kelly confirmed as referee for the final.

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Tipp won the 2010 final with a team that was tipped (no pun intended) to win more All Irelands. Much was made by their supporters of Tipp stopping Kilkenny winning 5 in a row.
    Many of the same players are still playing, and since 2010 only made the final once, losing to Kilkenny]They could be going for 5 in a row themselvesI]
    Why haven't such obviously talented players made more of an impact.
    Kilkenny have been in decline but won in 2011 and scraped a win in 2012, did a small bit of team building and are back this year.
    My own opinion is that the Tipp players lack a bit of something, belief, will to win, tactical awareness, something Cody can bring to his players
    In short the manager is the difference and hopefully will be the difference again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

GerB40 wrote: »
    As a Tipp man I'll be called bitter if I agreed with the above.
    What I will say is Kelly won't take shít from either team but should allow for a free flowing game. Right choice in my opinion.

It's a free country. You can do what ye like. All the offences listed are red card offences. AFAIK KKs red/yellow card count is among the lowest in inter county hurling. That's the beauty of Boards, you can post what you like and it doesn't even have to be based on fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

citykat wrote: »
    It's a free country. You can do what ye like. All the offences listed are red card offences. AFAIK KKs red/yellow card count is among the lowest in inter county hurling. That's the beauty of Boards, you can post what you like and it doesn't even have to be based on fact.

But the low card count is the point. When people speak about Kilkennys 'dark arts' I believe they're talking about their ability to foul like mad and not get caught..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Either that or people are blinkered and see the "dark arts" and "Phantom fouls" where none exist.

But the low card count is the point. When people speak about Kilkennys 'dark arts' I believe they're talking about their ability to foul like mad and not get caught..

Two free pair of glasses and a spare pair of contact lenses from Spec Savers for rainy days allocated by Croke park to each ref should solve the eye sight problems for the refs who are missing all these fouls. A lot cheaper than installing Hawk Eye and running courses after course showing video after video that just keep on missing all these "dark art" fouls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So you and your ilk have some kind of magical ability to see fouls that trained inter-county refs simply cannot, for years on end, ever seem to see? Do you not think it's a little more likely and plausible that maybe Kilkenny are no different to any other team, that perhaps what you are seeing is a projection of your own bias? A tendency, maybe, to go out of your way to see Kilkenny fouling, because that's what people do with all winning teams?

No, you're right, it's literally Kilkenny's 'dark arts', a magical spell that tricks every referee, but not you for some reason. Do explain, preferably without reference to some kind of GAA conspiracy to keep Kilkenny winning...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Dark Arts ? :pac: Wouldn't it be great if posters who go on about this stuff would also post what county they are from ? It would help us differentiate between the bitter and the just generally begrudging posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

So you and your ilk have some kind of magical ability to see fouls that trained inter-county refs simply cannot, for years on end, ever seem to see? Do you not think it's a little more likely and plausible that maybe Kilkenny are no different to any other team, that perhaps what you are seeing is a projection of your own bias? A tendency, maybe, to go out of your way to see Kilkenny fouling, because that's what people do with all winning teams?

No, you're right, it's literally Kilkenny's 'dark arts', a magical spell that tricks every referee, but not you for some reason. Do explain, preferably without reference to some kind of GAA conspiracy to keep Kilkenny winning...

I never said I believe in the whole 'dark arts' talk. Firstly the term itself is ridiculous. All teams foul sometimes, there's no art to it.
    Secondly I personally believe this whole conspiracy bullshyte only exists because Kilkenny are the best hurling team in Ireland, people need to find an excuse for that rather than just acknowledge that KK are that good.

In short, I'm in full agreement with you. But others are not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

KK have ruined hurling and turned it into a game of rucks and numbers behind the ball- They should enter the Ulster football championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I have to say I think Tipp will win. I felt it before the 2010 Final and I have the same feeling today. I think 2014 will be Tipp's year. If they play like they did yesterday then I think they will win. Although KK are still the benchmark, I think they are not as good as they used to be. This feeling could well be wishful thinking but I'll enjoy for the next few weeks.

Best game I've ever attended in any sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Vanolder wrote: »
    KK have ruined hurling and turned it into a game of rucks and numbers behind the ball- They should enter the Ulster football championship.

Yeah, really ruined it by taking it to a whole other level and helping improve standards across the board. Now we will never get back to the mediocrity of the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement