Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

Options
  • 17-08-2014 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭

Has a familiar ring to it at this stage. Make no mistake about it, the 2 best teams in the country are in the final.

Tipp have had 1 test all season (v Limk), they narrowly failed it. Similarly, KK had only 1 test, again v Limk. They narrowly passed it. This suggests a close final.

KK have won somthing like 10/11 of the last meetings between them. I'm sticking with Tipp, they have the forwards to win it, but unlike the semi-final, they'll need to be at their best to win it.

Best of luck to both teams.

Mod note: If anyone if looking to buy/sell/swap tickets for the All Ireland Hurling Final, please post in this thread to avoid derailing discussion about the match itself.

Who will win the All Ireland Senior Hurling Final 224 votes

Tipperary
    0% 0 votes
    Kilkenny
    45% 103 votes
    Draw
    54% 121 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Heh, interesting timing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Based on recent meetings, there will be probably more goals than points scored at the end of the match :pac:

This is going to be unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A Kilkenny double win will do me in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Can't wait for All-Ireland now, should be some battle

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Can't wait for All-Ireland now, should be some battle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

If Kilkenny win, which Tipp player do you think will get man of the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

KK are 4/6 to win. A 2 point handicap and then Tipp are marginal favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

If Kilkenny win, which Tipp player do you think will get man of the match?

Lar Corbbet for keeping Tommy Walsh scoreless after Tommy coming off the bench for the last ten minutes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Here goes 31 counties plus Warwickshire, London and New York shouting for Tipp but we don't care. I do think we would have been motivated to give cork an awful bating if we had met them after last year but unfortunately I don't think they will get within an asses roar of a final for a long time now. I said it earlier in the year that for all the bull about cork and Clare last year, they happened to be in the right place at the right time when we had injuries and had knocked Tipp out. Bad news for the rest of ye but I think there could be another two or three years of Tipp/Kilkenny domination in store ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Here goes 31 counties plus Warwickshire, London and New York shouting for Tipp but we don't care. I do think we would have been motivated to give cork an awful bating if we had met them after last year but unfortunately I don't think they will get within an asses roar of a final for a long time now. I said it earlier in the year that for all the bull about cork and Clare last year, they happened to be in the right place at the right time when we had injuries and had knocked Tipp out. Bad news for the rest of ye but I think there could be another two or three years of Tipp/Kilkenny domination in store ha ha

I don't agree with you at all, but I think we should focus on the actual match in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

3rd replay in a row anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That first sentence isn't true. Where is there that idea on this forum or elsewhere?
    I don't think there will be 2/3 years of Tipperary/Kilkenny domination. Cork/Limerick etc will be there or there abouts in this time.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    3rd replay in a row anyone?
    No. Will be won on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

KK will win this I think. They won 10 of last 11 meetings so that tells me KK know they can beat Tipp. I seriously would question Tipps forwards such as McGrath and Corbette. JJ will keep Callanan in his pocket. Who is going to step up for Tipp If Callanan and Bubbles don't perform?

Clare and Cork could only beat who was in front of them last year. Unfortunately Tipp and KK weren't within an asses roar of the AI last year. Tipp beaten twice last year so enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

KK by 5-7 pts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gonna go with a KK win, had predicted them to do it from the start so not going to change. Never thought it'd be Tipp they'd play in the final, but delighted they got there.

Should be a belter, with no more than 3 points in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

being a kilkenny man i'd have to go for my own county but this is a tough one to call. tipp looked very sharp yesterday even if cork were flat. i don't think tipp will get the freedom in midfield or up front that they got against cork. the high ball into the tipp forward line was havoc for cork in the first half but i can't think of any better backs thean jj and jackie under that kind of ball. all in all it has the makings of a cracker. now to find a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Impossible to call. Who will "turn up", who will play well, will one set of forwards click.....should be high scoring if both sets of forwards play to their potential. If I had to put money on it I would go for Kilkenny;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

earlytobed wrote: »
    Impossible to call. Who will "turn up", who will play well, will one set of forwards click.....should be high scoring if both sets of forwards play to their potential. If I had to put money on it I would go for Kilkenny;)

In all the times that these teams have met over the last 10 yrs both have turned up. Some savage matches in the last 5 yrs when ever they have met. Just have an idea KK will be better equipped to handle tipps forwards than any other team they have met. It is a hell of a long time since Kilkenny have won a big match when the heavens have opened and it didn't look so good last Sunday week but they dug so deep it was awesome. I just wonder have tipp used all their shooting exceptional points total quota yesterday. You get one game every so often that every thing you hit goes over the bar. See a very close game up to 10 minutes left then KK to pull away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

being a kilkenny man i'd have to go for my own county but this is a tough one to call. tipp looked very sharp yesterday even if cork were flat. i don't think tipp will get the freedom in midfield or up front that they got against cork. the high ball into the tipp forward line was havoc for cork in the first half but i can't think of any better backs thean jj and jackie under that kind of ball. all in all it has the makings of a cracker. now to find a ticket.

Actually, I thought it didn't. A lot of long, high Tipp deliveries in the first half were spilled by the recipient and cleared on the break by the Cork defence. A lot of Tipp scores in this period came as a result of more structured moves. The delivery in the second half to the Tipp forwards was more targeted and an increased rate in the scoring resulted.

In the drawn game v Galway, KK didn't deal with the long, high ball too well. Tactics changed for that replay.

At this remove I'm shading slightly towards Tipp but will think more about it as the day approaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

dzer2 wrote: »
    In all the times that these teams have met over the last 10 yrs both have turned up..

Notable exception 2012 All Ireland Semi (Lar and Tommy show):D

Lar didnt turn up either yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Maybe, maybe not but it was one hell of a first half Tipp were a point up at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

after watching the way tipp came from behind and defeated galway, i predicted they would go on and win the all ireland. dont see any reason to change my opinion now!

MfMan wrote: »
    Actually, I thought it didn't. A lot of long, high Tipp deliveries in the first half were spilled by the recipient and cleared on the break by the Cork defence. A lot of Tipp scores in this period came as a result of more structured moves. The delivery in the second half to the Tipp forwards was more targeted and an increased rate in the scoring resulted.

In the drawn game v Galway, KK didn't deal with the long, high ball too well. Tactics changed for that replay.

At this remove I'm shading slightly towards Tipp but will think more about it as the day approaches.

i have to agree with you on the first day against galway our backs were poor. but in the 3 games since they have been very good.( i thought they were very good in the replay, they weren't under much pressure against dublin but only for they were so solid against limerick we would have lost that game). you have to remember that tipp conceded a lot of goals early in the championship and many had written off the tipp back line. i don't think anyone could say a bad word about them now. i for one can see a serious battle on all ireland sunday and can't wait.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Lar didnt turn up either yesterday.

no he didn't get a sniff of it and drove one(of very few for tipp) very bad wide. he can be hot or cold but when he's on form he is seriously dangerous.
    i thought against us last year he looked like a savage threat until he was forced to go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

no he didn't get a sniff of it and drove one(of very few for tipp) very bad wide. he can be hot or cold but when he's on form he is seriously dangerous.
    i thought against us last year he looked like a savage threat until he was forced to go off.

Re watch it. Larry did a great job at being a general nuisance. Drawing backs away from their positions thus creating goal opportunities.
    Clearly that won't work against KK but that bit of versatility could do wonders against the cats..

But yeah, he'll have to find his best form to justify his place on that panel..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

donnem33 wrote: »
    after watching the way tipp came from behind and defeated galway, i predicted they would go on and win the all ireland. dont see any reason to change my opinion now!

Best team in the country when they hit their peak. KK won't be able to stop them if they get going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I have to say I think Tipp will win. I felt it before the 2010 Final and I have the same feeling today. I think 2014 will be Tipp's year. If they play like they did yesterday then I think they will win. Although KK are still the benchmark, I think they are not as good as they used to be. This feeling could well be wishful thinking but I'll enjoy for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

It's a hard one to call. 2 teams going hell for leather. It'll come down to which ever defence gets on top.

Whoever concedes the least should win it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement