Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yup. Page 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I certainly wouldn't consider these as any kind of an investment, as I can't imagine them going up in value. If anything I can see them going down to their bullion value eventually.

So, 99 dollars for the first coin, that's about 74 Euro per ounce.
    79 dollars for each of the other coins, that's about 59 Euro per ounce.
    The John Philip Holland coin contains 0.841 ounces of silver for 44 Euro. That's 52.32 Euro per ounce.

So the official coins are better value and are far more likely to hold, or go up, in value as has been proven over the last decade. If these new coins are not successful they could fall to their bullion value which would currently be 14.92 Euro.

If you are a collector of all things related to the 1916 rising then you might buy these for your collection. But as far as numismatic or bullion value these are a real loss, just like the stuff the 'Dublin Mint Office' produces.

Not to mention the fact that the this is a new company with no pedigree. Will they still be in business in 2016 when they are supposed to release the last of these coins. I hope for their sake that they haven't bought all 20,000 of their first coin yet. The central bank can't even sell that many.

A bit of maths for anyone interested.
    The Irish commemorative silver coins weigh 28.28g each.
    To convert grammes to troy ounces you multiply by 0.0321507466.
    However the silver content of the coins are 92.5%.
    Therefore the silver content is 28.28 x 0.0321507466 x 0.925 = 0.841Toz

The company seems to be run by Fintan Walsh from Finglas. He is pictured on the facebook page delivering the first coin to a customer. If you google him, it says that he is The Lord Mayor of Finglas. I don't know if that makes me more or less confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The UK situation doesn't inspire confidence in commemorative coins as an investment ....

Struck gold? How coins have fallen

£500 Olympic silver coin (2012) – Royal Mint sold for £3,000, dealer pays £1,400

£5 royal wedding silver coin (2011) – Royal Mint sold for £82.50, dealer pays £75

Winston Churchill crown (1965) – Royal Mint sold for around £1, dealer pays 20p

£5 Queen Mother’s 90th birthday cupronickel coin (1990) – Royal Mint sold for £9.95, dealer pays £3

£5 Diana, Princess of Wales 1999 memorial gold coin – Royal Mint sold for £1,745, dealer pays £1,000

Bank sold us £5 coins that aren’t worth a penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Does anybody know when the Silver Horse sold out at the central bank? I tried to check the threads before posting in case it was answered already and saw nada.

Got a few before they sold out and just went back to get one or two more but all gone. Does that mean that they will go up in value or am I being too optimistic?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Not2Good wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the Silver Horse sold out at the central bank? I tried to check the threads before posting in case it was answered already and saw nada.

Got a few before they sold out and just went back to get one or two more but all gone. Does that mean that they will go up in value or am I being too optimistic?

Thanks

Lots of coins have sold out at the CB but many have not gone up in value because of it. With a lot of them you'd be luck to get your money back. As the silver horse was available for a long time after release I wouldn't expect it to go up in value any time soon. It's only the ones that sold out quickly that have a chance of increasing in value, the likes of the GAA, Celtic Cross, Joyce, Mestrovic, Collins etc.

Blade wrote: »
    Lots of coins have sold out at the CB but many have not gone up in value because of it. With
    a lot of them you'd be luck to get your money back. As the silver horse was available for a long time after release I wouldn't expect it to go up in value any time soon. It's only the ones that sold out quickly that have a chance of increasing in value, the likes of the GAA, Celtic Cross, Joyce, Mestrovic, Collins etc.

Thanks for that reply. In for the long haul so. Cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't consider these as any kind of an investment, as I can't imagine them going up in value. If anything I can see them going down to their bullion value eventually.

He got on the radio saying that because they're bullion they can only increase in value, emm not when you're paying 4 or 5 times the bullion value to begin with! Only 20,000 pieces of each "coin", yeah good luck with that! And he's still describing them as coins and mentioning competing with the Central Bank. Listen here from 23 mins in:
    www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10305769%3A56%3A26%2D07%2D2014%3A

On the one hand, I think fair play to the guy, he seems genuine, he has started his own business and I hope it is a success for him. It could be a nice little business if he sells to the tourist market. What these are is overpriced, high quality Irish souvenirs and there is certainly a genuine tourist market for that. Just go into any one of a dozen jewellery shops in Dublin and look at all the Claddagh rings and Tara brooches etc.

What I don't like is the implication that this is a good investment which can only go up in value. If you want to invest in silver, then by all means go and buy as much bullion as you like. If you are interested in numismatics then buy the central bank coins. But I can't ever see these medals going up in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Sometime round May this year

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for that.

On the one hand, I think fair play to the guy, he seems genuine, he has started his own business and I hope it is a success for him.

I get the impression that he came into this with no numismatic experience whatsoever, I certainly don't know him as a dealer or from numismatic circles in Dublin. The very fact that he still thinks they are coins and comparing his business model to that of the Central Bank is worrying from a business point of view. I can't remember exactly what he said on the radio but when he was wished well about his new business he replied with something along the lines of counting on it otherwise he was going to be in serious financial trouble. Think he just implied that.

I really think he just came up with this one day out of nowhere and dived in without experience and without discussing it with anyone more knowledgeable. The CB sometimes struggle to sell 10,000 pieces of their official coins and they've a much bigger market and existing customer base and sell for much cheaper prices. His idea is nothing new like he probably thinks it is, I know of another guy who produced 1916-2016 medals (might have shown them to you here), quite nice ones too but he can't seem to shift them. I was offered them very cheap, way below his retail price and we're not even at 2016 yet. The likes of the Dublin "mint" too have a much bigger reach with their controversial marketing tactics. I just think this guy is way out of his depth and hope for his sake he didn't invest too much of his personal money in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The eBay page has 1 positive feedback tonight for 8 apparently sold. I've only just noticed that eBay in their infinite wisdom have now made it impossible to check the background feedback of those leaving feedback. Another reason why I'm glad that I rarely use their site these days.

The eBay page has 1 positive feedback tonight for 8 apparently sold. I've only just noticed that eBay in their infinite wisdom have now made it impossible to check the background feedback of those leaving feedback. Another reason why I'm glad that I rarely use their site these days.

The rush in sales is always at the start of a new "coin" release, it tends to slow down after that. The fact they only sold 8 on the first listing is quite worrying especially if they've already paid upfront for 20,000 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fantafanta

New silver Holland coin looks nice. I heard that central bank will issue a silver coin dedicated to scientist Ernest walton next year. Hopefully design will compliment the theme, which I guess wouldn't have automatic appeal to coin collectors imo.

A new coin set is being advertised on the Central Bank website. It is a triple set containing the three silver coins from the 'Animals of Irish Coinage' series that was available in 2010 - 2012. It isn't for sale yet but will be available to buy at the coin fair in the RDS on 17 -19 October.

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/Coinsets.aspx

Thanks for that

Thanks

Presumably that is why the Horse coins suddenly disappeared from the site recently. They must have only had a thousand of them left and needed them for these triple sets.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

A new coin set is being advertised on the Central Bank website. It is a triple set containing the three silver coins from the 'Animals of Irish Coinage' series that was available in 2010 - 2012. It isn't for sale yet but will be available to buy at the coin fair in the RDS on 17 -19 October.

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/Coinsets.aspx

Do you think they would sell out at the fair? I'd like to get my hands on a set, but won't be able to attend....

Spocker wrote: »
    Do you think they would sell out at the fair? I'd like to get my hands on a set, but won't be able to attend....

That is the problem. It is fine if you live in Dublin or were planning on going to the fair anyway. But if you don't, it is a bit of a pain and expensive to go all the way to Dublin, just to get this coin set. I presume that they will also impose a limit, like they did with the Mestrovic sets. So it will probably only be one set per customer.

On the one hand the limit stops fair attendees from buying them all up, but on the other hand it means that you can't get someone else to buy you one if you can't make it to the fair. If there is a limit, then it is more likely that there will still be some available to buy online after the fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Has anyone received their brochure in the post yet for this coin?
    I received the new coin brochure in the post this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

MasterSun wrote: »
    I received the new coin brochure in the post this morning.

So did I, and ordered one over the phone :pac::cool:

So, what do people make of this new triple set? Personally, I like it a lot. I have always been a fan of the 'Animals of Irish Coinage' series. They are beautiful but simple coins. They are reminiscent of the older coins of both decimal and pre-decimal times. I also like the look of the presentation of the three coins together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

If the triple set had been available from the start I would have gone for it but not sure this time around as I already have a few of each albeit in individual boxes. Tough one but working on a v. limited budget with this hobby. I do like it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I think its a great idea, nice and compact aswell, I actually had one of each and sold them so this set will be perfect for me! I think the new coin looks great really nice detail on it so will be getting one for sure, Once your hooked theres no turning back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Coin Fair 17th - 19th October, RDS, What times does it begin on 17th (Friday)?

signostic wrote: »
    Coin Fair 17th - 19th October, RDS, What times does it begin on 17th (Friday)?

Doors usually open at 11:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I still haven't received the booklet on this - usually I get a two copies

pawrick wrote: »
    I still haven't received the booklet on this - usually I get a two copies

You should give them a ring. I got mine on Tuesday and so did a few other people. They might have done a tidy up on their mailing list and removed you thinking you were a duplicate entry.

• Advertisement

So, did anyone pick up the new coin from the Central Bank? Does it look nice?

Advertisement