Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another shooting.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

space_man wrote: »
    This time in D22.
    Young man (20) shot in the neck.
    Critically ill.

Probably drug related, but he might just be an innocent guy walking home.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-shot-a-number-of-times-in-ganglandstyle-attack-29116590.html

No innocent bystanders these days eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

And?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

"...and they killed him with one shot...bang bang".

I wonder was it random or targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

"...and they killed him with one shot...bang bang".

I wonder was it random or targeted.

Gardaí say he wasn't involved in the drug business. Possibly in the wrong place .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

The victim is not thought to be involved in serious crime.
    Detectives are trying to establish a motive for the shooting but believe it could be drug related.

Time to take the drug trade out of the scum's hands (I'm not calling this guy scum because he could still turn out to be innocent)

Gardaí do not believe he has been involved in serious crime and there was speculation that it may have been a case of mistaken identity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

People say that it's all grand once it's gang mmbers shooting one another, and maybe they're right, but how long will it be until another innocent guy walking home one night gets shot?

The only policy that works is absolute zero tolerance. That means that the Gardai need to be properly equipped to deal with armed gangs, and give life in prison for anyone with a gun on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

A great way to cut down on drug related murders would be to legalise drugs and treat it like any other industry, not have a "zero tolerance" approach which would be another costly failure.

gaffer91 wrote: »
    A great way to cut down on drug related murders would be to legalise drugs and treat it like any other industry, not have a "zero tolerance" approach which would be another costly failure.

yes it could be a nice little earner for the exchequer. there would be strict quality control, so users would know exactly what they're getting.

problem is no other country (that i know of) has ever tried this, so it would be a giant social experiment with possibly unforseen consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

A cashless society would eradicate 80 percent of the drug gangs.everything done by card,yes people would still find a way,but its just too easy when cash is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But with the spineless tossers running this country, not a chance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

'Merica!

Oh, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

A cashless society would eradicate 80 percent of the drug gangs.everything done by card,yes people would still find a way,but its just too easy when cash is involved.

Probably the most un-Jack Sparrow thing anyone has ever said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Probably the most un-Jack Sparrow thing anyone has ever said.

Haha good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

yes it could be a nice little earner for the exchequer. there would be strict quality control, so users would know exactly what they're getting.

problem is no other country (that i know of) has ever tried this, so it would be a giant social experiment with possibly unforseen consequences.

Take a look at Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    'Merica!

Oh, wait.
    why cant people put the location at least in the thread title? Last thread on a shooting i saw was in china, or russia... I cant remember.
    Do you want to know why? Because it WASNT IN THE ****ING TITLE

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Take a look at Portugal.

why? what have they achieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ELSuarez

why? what have they achieved?

Alot more than us, decriminalization off all drugs in 2001 and it works.

http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Here we go again...

ELSuarez wrote: »

http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7

interesting, but i cant see Minister Sh1tter approving that anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

i think the swiss decriminalised hard drug use(not dealing) and it didn't work out all that well.in Holland addicts are given heroin by the state as opposed to methedone everywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The only policy that works is absolute zero tolerance.
    That's the only policy that's been proven not to work, conclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Canada provided addicts with heroin and allowed them to inject in a supervised environment. This reduced the number of needles in the street, reduced crime and reduced the number of ODs and had no negative effects.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Canada provided addicts with heroin and allowed them to inject in a supervised environment. This reduced the number of needles in the street, reduced crime and reduced the number of ODs and had no negative effects. They're even considering opening more permanent clinics.

Similar clinics are open in Holland with similar effects.
    Similar clinics even opened in Iran, they had awful problems due to being on the heroin trail. As you'd expect they had a policy of zero tolerance and limb removal for offenders which had no affect whatsoever. They now have treatment and rehabilitation and are finally beginning to see improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

ELSuarez wrote: »

http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7[/QUOTE]

So more people take drugs just because its illegal, i call BS on that - thats what that article implies.

I agree the approach has merit. Im totally anti drugs, the strain on the health service through alcohol and smoking is enough. The Health service is becoming a sham in Ireland. Im all for better treatment and preventive measures when dealing with "junkies", but not every drug user is a junkie.

Decriminalizing drugs may not be such a bad idea, as in the person taking them is not the real criminal in my eyes, they are just idiotic. Repeat offenders or people who refuse help should go to prison, and im sure thats the case in Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

whatever happens lets keep drugs illegal and in the hands of these nice chaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

interesting, but i cant see Minister Sh1tter approving that anytime soon.

if we demanded it he would and if he didn't we'd just have to go knocking on his front door until it happened. while we sit around joking that this idiot wouldn't approve it anytime soon there are many people suffering needlessly.

So more people take drugs just because its illegal, i call BS on that - thats what that article implies.
    Drugs are surrounded by a whole culture now. People buy into the lifestyle and can become separated from society as a whole. If people could try drugs without having to get into the whole scene and culture they may just try a drug and move on. If they're invested in the culture they'll have to stay around drug dealers and people that use drug and go to parties where they can get drugs.

The law basically forces people down a one way street and wont let them come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

ScumLord wrote: »
    Drugs are surrounded by a whole culture now. People buy into the lifestyle and can become separated from society as a whole. If people could try drugs without having to get into the whole scene and culture they may just try a drug and move on. If they're invested in the culture they'll have to stay around drug dealers and people that use drug and go to parties where they can get drugs.

The law basically forces people down a one way street and wont let them come back.

If you decriminalize drugs, its still illegal to sell, import or distribute them. So for people to obtain drugs they still have to go down that "dark alley way".

I do agree Ireland is becoming a drug culture. Because of the buisness im in, ive dealt with drug users, both junkies and recreational users. Problem is these days, more people are "just trying" drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Do food coupons in the USA work? No. It just makes targeting poorer people more profitable.

• Advertisement

If you decriminalize drugs, its still illegal to sell, import or distribute them. So for people to obtain drugs they still have to go down that "dark alley way".

I do agree Ireland is becoming a drug culture. Because of the buisness im in, ive dealt with drug users, both junkies and recreational users. Problem is these days, more people are "just trying" drugs.
    I don't agree with decriminalisation, I don't see the point of it really. It's fine for the end user but does nothing to tackle the problem.

Ireland like the rest of the world has always had a drug culture, drugs are and have always been a big part of human culture. I think religion is the direct result of people taking drugs.

Advertisement