Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL in Knocknacarra?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

According to today's City Tribune (page 4) the Planning Appeals Board has refused planning permission for the Lidl supermarket in Knocknacarra :(

Would have been nice to have one on this side of the Corrib.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    "Pedestrian access" from the Western Distributor Road.

Yeah right.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    All is well. The planning conditions require "a professional piece of artwork .. in the interest of orderly development."

Presumably the artwork will be so uplifting that it will enable shoppers with children in prams and disabled people in wheelchairs to levitate over the Blake roundabout.

From the Bord Pleanala files:
    The revised layout also provides for pedestrian access to the site from both the Cappagh Road and the Ballymoneen Road with pedestrian crossing points proposed on both roads. The development I consider provides for a reasonable level of accessibility and permeability to the adjoining residential areas, roadways and lands.

No mention of the Western Distributor Road at all in that context. In other words, the ABP Inspector did not given any consideration at all to pedestrian access on the main arterial route to the proposed development. It seems all that mattered was access from adjoining residential areas, and the pedestrian access needs of residents in Sli Burca, Fana Burca, Sli Gheal, Radharc na Farraige and other estates along the Ballymoneen Road north of the WDR were conveniently ignored. Or maybe the Inspector assumed they would drive rather than try to cross on foot or by bike. Or maybe he thought that vehicular access was the most important consideration.

Luckily, the Board disagreed with this blinkered, car-centric view:
    In deciding not to accept the Inspector’s recommendation to grant permission, the Board ... was also of opinion that the proposed access to the site, while meeting traffic requirements, did not represent an appropriate or welcoming environment for other users, such as pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 galwaygem

They have put the boards up in the field again two weeks ago. I think they had to go back to the drawing board regarding the exit and entrance, looks like Lidl are pushing ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

they were asked for Further Information last Tuesday

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Christ, what are people queuing for? Will it be safe to start shopping there this weekend or will it be as crowded and overrun with kids as westside?

Christ, what are people queuing for? Will it be safe to start shopping there this weekend or will it be as crowded and overrun with kids as westside?

€100 vouchers were up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

It still looked pretty busy there today (though no actual queues). I gave up the idea of going in, I'll leave it for a quieter time.

Eeden wrote: »
    It still looked pretty busy there today (though no actual queues). I gave up the idea of going in, I'll leave it for a quieter time.

I went in today. Busy but not maddening. Nice big shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I went in today. Busy but not maddening. Nice big shop.

What was the parking like?
    I passed by it last week and I saw the car park which looked a bit small to me.

bobbyss wrote: »
    What was the parking like?
    I passed by it last week and I saw the car park which looked a bit small to me.

I got a spot straight away. There wasn't any queue. Much easier to navigate than Westside.

I also passed by twice today and the car park was jammers. They're going to need double-yellows painted on that road. It was already a bad habit around Monkey Business and it has the potential to get a lot worse with the increase in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

So this planning board refused lidl because they saw no need for this kind of store in Knocknacarra yet they have no problems with the same kind of store from Aldi in the same area. Wtf.

I would have loved to have access to cheap fresh bread, Aldi was easy enough to get to on the Westside anyway.

I, too, would have appreciated the bakery right around the corner. However, I have no doubt it makes more sense to develop the B&Q / Dunnes area as a commercial zone. There is a large amount of scrub land and 'the pit' already there to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

I would have loved to have access to cheap fresh bread, Aldi was easy enough to get to on the Westside anyway.

I agree. While it's nice to have an Aldi even closer, Westside is a fairly easy run if you time it right. It would be great to have a Lidl on this side for the things they do better.

I think the new Aldi might have a problem with the entrance for trucks to make deliveries. I was there about 7pm the night it opened and cars were backed up to the entrance of Pure Skill. The reason was a truck trying, with great difficulty, to make the turn into the car park. It took him ages and he had to drive up on curbs to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

it was a pretty stupid idea to stop lidl but allow aldi. There is no lidl that side of the river but there already was a aldi. Sometime you have to wonder if they are trying to cause traffic jams around the town.

The lidl in doughiska should have been made an aldi as lidl already had one in oranmore. It would have been the same number of shops and it would have aided the traffic flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

it was a pretty stupid idea to stop lidl but allow aldi. There is no lidl that side of the river but there already was a aldi. Sometime you have to wonder if they are trying to cause traffic jams around the town.

The lidl in doughiska should have been made an aldi as lidl already had one in oranmore. It would have been the same number of shops and it would have aided the traffic flow.

Lidl was in Doughiska before they opened in Oranmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

werid to turn it down for those reasons and grant aldi permission

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Ludikrus wrote: »
    I think the new Aldi might have a problem with the entrance for trucks to make deliveries. I was there about 7pm the night it opened and cars were backed up to the entrance of Pure Skill. The reason was a truck trying, with great difficulty, to make the turn into the car park. It took him ages and he had to drive up on curbs to make it.

I was there too, sat in my car for over 20 minutes along with many others waiting for him to reverse into a very narrow bay trying to avoid bollards, kerbs and parked cars. It's right beside the main car park entrance for customers too. It was farcical. Surely this was down to poor design, somebody must have made a huge mistake with the layout of this in the plans. Very unGerman!

Now I realise that most deliveries will probably take place at night or early in the morning but even still it won't be easy for a big lorry to manoeuvre into.

Every car park in Galway is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

werid to turn it down for those reasons and grant aldi permission

Yup, especially since their inspector recommended approval. I smell a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    Yup, especially since their inspector recommended approval. I smell a rat.

I don't. Aldi had planning permission for ages, but didn't build due to the downturn. Once Lidl appeared on the scene they scaled down their plans and started building. The Aldi site makes more sense, too as it ties in with the rest of the area.
    Would have liked a Lidl in the area, nevertheless. The one beside Argos is a pain. Not enough parking and it can be hard to get in and out of the car park.
    Only go to the one in Doughiska when I'm in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I think the one in B&Q/Dunnes takes the buscuit. I often avoid it just because of the car park.
    I go to Westside instead even though the Dunnes is inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think the one in B&Q/Dunnes takes the buscuit. I often avoid it just because of the car park.

Westside car park takes the biscuit altogether. Don't understand why people have to park at the entrance to dunnes holding everyone up when there is a free spot 2 fecking meters away.

Couldn't agree more but why stop there? Westside Aldi? Argos/Lidl? Woodies/IMC and the entire Galway Shopping Centre from now until February.

B&Q/Dunnes have the same problem as Wellpark: why not have an entrance to the underground carpark right as you turn in? Instead you have to deal with the idiots that fight over the surface spots and waste 10 minutes to go underground to an empty carpark.

We really need to bring some civil engineers from Spain to teach us how to to build roads and carparks correctly and quickly. Whatever about older areas, it kills me to see new construction done wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The worst has to be the one at the Jury's Inn, the rainbow streaks of paint on the ramps tell the story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement