Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL in Knocknacarra?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

the planning file - http://gis.galwaycity.ie/PlanEnqLite/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=26a-12268 - shows no due date or decision, wonder what's the story with it.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

jkforde wrote: »
    the planning file - http://gis.galwaycity.ie/PlanEnqLite/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=26a-12268 - shows no due date or decision, wonder what's the story with it.

The formatting is a bit crap, but the status is FURTHER INFORMATION and none has been submitted so far, so it looks as if it's with the applicant to decide what they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Got a notice in the post today from the council stating that 'further information' has been received.

Here is the link to the application (notice the further information button): http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=12268

All I can see is there is now a decision date of 24/9.

Is anyone able to discern more?

The planning permission has been posted at the site.
    http://i.imgur.com/or19GDj.jpg

Of particular significance:
    The further information submitted includes the relocation of the proposed vehicular access from the Ballymoneen Road to the Western Distributor Road / Cappagh Road, an increase in the planning application boundary to 0.77 hectares, an increase in the proposed gross floor space to 1,894 sqm, repositioning of the building and other and/or associated modifications.

It would have been a terrible mess having a busy downhill entrance near a roundabout and adjacent to the entrance of an estate and several residential properties. With the traffic issue resolved I'm fully in favour of having a fresh bakery and offy nearby!

Looks like the decision date got bumped a bit.

Decision Due Date: 06/10/2013

• Advertisement

Just thought to check this. The decision date is still 6/10/13 but decision type is still 'Not yet decided'.

I got a letter in the post today stating that a response for the Clarification of Further Information had been filled.

The response was submitted on 3/2/14. It names architects, traffic and transportation consultants, landscapers, noise impact assessment, etc used in their response and appears to addresses each request for info point by point.

So it looks like things are proceeding and a new newspaper and site notices are to be published.

The Decision Type is still Not Yet Decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

http://www.thejournal.ie/lidl-announces-50-jobs-in-new-stores-1318033-Feb2014/

Is the Galway store Lidl are referring to the one being discussed for Ballymoneen Road? They don't make it clear in the article - wonder how long that will take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

Delicia wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/lidl-announces-50-jobs-in-new-stores-1318033-Feb2014/

Is the Galway store Lidl are referring to the one being discussed for Ballymoneen Road? They don't make it clear in the article - wonder how long that will take?

the article specifcally mentions Doughiska so I don't think so....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It says Doughiska.

edit: Never mind. jkforde beat me to it.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/three-new-lidl-stores-in-cork-galway-donegal-622795.html

So sorry you both couldn't jump down my throat at once. In fairness a confusing article from the Journal & Lidl aren't giving too much away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is the existing store a few hundred yards away going to remain open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/three-new-lidl-stores-in-cork-galway-donegal-622795.html

So sorry you both couldn't jump down my throat at once. In fairness a confusing article from the Journal & Lidl aren't giving too much away?

A confusing article???? It's specifically mentions Doughiska as pointed out by the helpful posts you are overly sensitive to!

zarquon wrote: »
    A confusing article???? It's specifically mentions Doughiska as pointed out by the helpful posts you are overly sensitive to!

No, I'm sorry I'm not being sensitive, overly or otherwise. The posts replying to me were just a tad quick to assume I hadn't read the article properly? The 'Doughiska' mentioned in the Journal article is in Cork - not Galway.

Back on topic - what is the story with Lidl on the Ballymoneen Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

No, I'm sorry I'm not being sensitive, overly or otherwise. The posts replying to me were just a tad quick to assume I hadn't read the article properly? The 'Doughiska' mentioned in the Journal article is in Cork - not Galway.

It is confusing, but the Doughiska referred to, though it sounds like it could be in Cork from the way it's written, is in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

NThe 'Doughiska' mentioned in the Journal article is in Cork - not Galway.

No, it says "The three new stores in"
    1. Doughiska,
    2. Cork City Centre
    3. Letterkenny

will open on Thursday, February 27

But unless there is a second store in Doughiska, Galway, it might be somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Why do you think the Doughiska in the article is in Cork? It isn't. The article is referring to Doughiska in Galway. And, while the Journal article is not in itself confusing the situation is confusing, it is unusual to open a new store only a few hundred yards away from an existing one (as pointed out by gordongekko above).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

As the galway city forum is a mostly harmless place with some absolutely lovely regular posters I don't think anyone was trying to jump down anyone else's throat, let's not get overly bogged down by a simple miscommunication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It is unusual to open a new store only a few hundred yards away from an existing one (as pointed out by gordongekko above).
    Some comments on the Advertiser's Facebook page suggest the old Lidl is closing (and maybe being kept as a warehouse?) and the new one down the road will be bigger and will take its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

There must be loads of room for a LIDL or ALDI in Knocknacarra. Near Dunnes/B&Q/Aviva would be ideal. Knocknacarra is essentially one big housing estate and must have a very high grocery buying populace with cash to spend.

The LIDL beside Argos and the ALDIs in Westside and Galway SC can be very awkward traffic wise. Knocknacarra seems an obvious alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Birroc wrote: »
    There must be loads of room for a LIDL or ALDI in Knocknacarra. Near Dunnes/B&Q/Aviva would be ideal. Knocknacarra is essentially one big housing estate and must have a very high grocery buying populace with cash to spend.

The LIDL beside Argos and the ALDIs in Westside and Galway SC can be very awkward traffic wise. Knocknacarra seems an obvious alternative.

Aldi already have planning in for a site across from Pure Skill/Monkey Business.

It seems the Knocknacarra Lidl has been redesigned, there's a photo of it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=653386801384232&set=a.154527567936827.36001.148746965181554&type=1&stream_ref=10

Meanwhile, a revised planning application for the proposed new Lidl supermarket and off-licence in Knocknacarra has been lodged. The plans are for a 20,000 square foot supermarket on a two-acre site off the Blake Roundabout, located on the corner of the Western Distributor Road and the Ballymoneen Road. Changes include a redesign of the supermarket building and alterations to pedestrian access. The access road has been moved from Ballymoneen Road to the Western Distributor Road while deliveries will now only take place from 7am and 11pm.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/67113/lidl-to-open-new-store-in-doughiska

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"Pedestrian access" from the Western Distributor Road.

Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwaystar

Planning permission for the store in Knocknacarra has been granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Galwaystar wrote: »
    Planning permission for the store in Knocknacarra has been granted.

Link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

All is well. The planning conditions require "a professional piece of artwork .. in the interest of orderly development."

Presumably the artwork will be so uplifting that it will enable shoppers with children in prams and disabled people in wheelchairs to levitate over the Blake roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Does this mean the entrance is to be on the Ballymoneen Road before the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

According to today's City Tribune (page 4) the Planning Appeals Board has refused planning permission for the Lidl supermarket in Knocknacarra :(
    Would have been nice to have one on this side of the Corrib.

• Advertisement

That's a pity, I was looking forward to being able to walk to a fresh bakery. Is that the end of the road, appeal wise?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement