Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Cork’s bike scheme will launch on December 18.

Customers who pre-register for the scheme on www.bikeshare.ie will get a 50% discount, receiving a special offer of a €5 annual subscription per city. When a customer registers for an annual subscription, they will receive a welcome pack containing details of the scheme and a subscription card.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bikeshare-scheme-preparations-go-up-a-gear-as-launch-nears-297390.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Great news it's coming soon, nice early bird deal too. The map on that site is the first good look at the docking station locations.

As well as heading out towards CIT in the future, it'd be great to see some stations put along the way out to Blackrock.

So disappointed that this is sponsored by Coca-Cola though. I get that sponsorship money is needed but this is another case of the poison slapping it's name on the remedy.... so to speak. "Cycle, be healthy and have a Coke while you're at it" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Bacchus wrote: »
    Great news it's coming soon, nice early bird deal too. The map on that site is the first good look at the docking station locations.

It's perfect timing too -

"Now son, I know you wanted a bike for Christmas, well this is a special bike. So special you have to share it…"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

What's the story with the deposit? Is it locked when you take a bike or it's locked for as long as you're part of the scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Looks like they put a hold on your card, like hotels sometimes do and then debit it if you damage/steal etc. bike.

From Terms..

"In the case of an Annual Account, this security deposit comprises the pre-authorisation by you for the debit of your payment card by an amount of up to €150 in respect of loss, theft or damage to any bike hired by you and/or associated equipment. In the case of a 3-Day Account, the security deposit is debited from your payment card as part of the Account establishment process.
    If a bike is not returned within 24 hours of the commencement of the hire it is considered to be missing. In the case of an Annual Account, the payment card associated with the Account will be debited by the penalty fee of €150. In the case of a 3-Day Account where the Customer has not returned a bike within 24 hours of the commencement of the hire, the security deposit will be retained by the Authority and will not be returned to the Customer. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

With the €150 hold, does that actually take the money out of the account if you use a debit card? (Visa debit.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

It doesn't as far as I know.

I'm joined gocar and they have a similar thing in their T&C's but the hold is 1000 euro. I think it only comes into play once you report something or it goes missing. It wont affect your balance day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As far as I'm aware, a hold on the card can affect the ability to use the card. In the sense that, it may show up as €150 balance, but if a hold was on it for €70, and you wanted to buy something for €85, it won't go through. Hopefully I'm wrong, otherwise I won't be able to use this scheme.

Looking at the map, the locations of the stations are slightly wrong. The College of Comm one is outside the front door on the corner, not the opposite side of the river. And one at Merchants Quay looks slightly off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Mushy wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, a hold on the card can affect the ability to use the card. In the sense that, it may show up as €150 balance, but if a hold was on it for €70, and you wanted to buy something for €85, it won't go through. Hopefully I'm wrong, otherwise I won't be able to use this scheme.

I don't think the bike scheme could expect anyone to accept not being able to use 150 quid of their own money in their account. As I said with gocar, If you fail to bring the car back or damage it, then they will put a hold on the money in your account. They wont keep it day to day just in case. That would be insane and hardly anyone would sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I was half way through signing up till I saw the deposit. I won't be signing up till I'm sure they won't be taking money or blocking my card.

• Advertisement

I don't think the bike scheme could expect anyone to accept not being able to use 150 quid of their own money in their account. As I said with gocar, If you fail to bring the car back or damage it, then they will put a hold on the money in your account. They wont keep it day to day just in case. That would be insane and hardly anyone would sign up.

Oh right that's what I was hoping. Cheers for that, because I really don't want to be down an awful lot of money, or seemingly so. It is a great incentive, even though most of my journeys will be short should I wish to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I signed up using my Visa Debit card and they took the €5 but not €150.
    I haven't been able to check if I will be allowed to go below €150 on my balance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

the 150 will be frozen in your account till you bring back the bike, on the off chance someone steals a bike they have to be sure you have the funds to cover such lose, exactly the same as car hire, money stays in your account but you cant access it till bike is returned safe.

the 150 will be frozen in your account till you bring back the bike, on the off chance someone steals a bike they have to be sure you have the funds to cover such lose, exactly the same as car hire, money stays in your account but you cant access it till bike is returned safe.

So would I be right in saying that the hold starts as soon as you take a bike, but is then returned when bike is put back? So may only have a hold of 20 minutes at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

So would I be right in saying that the hold starts as soon as you take a bike, but is then returned when bike is put back? So may only have a hold of 20 minutes at times?

I think the hold lasts as long as you are subscribed to the service, not just when you've a bike taken out.

no the hold lasts the day, takes the bank a day or two to release the funds then after that,

no the hold lasts the day, takes the bank a day or two to release the funds then after that,

It doesn't last for the full year, i.e. as long as you are registered?

So you need the money in the account to take the bike out of the stand then! Cos towards the end of the pay month I wouldn't have €150 in the account, or would use it twice in a day so would need €300.

Bit stupid!

So you need the money in the account to take the bike out of the stand then! Cos towards the end of the pay month I wouldn't have €150 in the account, or would use it twice in a day so would need €300.

Bit stupid!

its also a bit stupid of a company to give you a bike for a fiver and hope you bring it back with no guarantee ? tesco make you pay a euro deposit for a trolley and if they didnt they would end up everywhere

Guys, ye do know that this is a very successful scheme in many cities in the world don't ye? I don't see why it won't be in Cork.

Mushy, you don't need that much money in your account. As far as I know you sign up for a year and in doing do you agree to a clause that the operators can take 150 euro from you if they don't get their bike back from you. You're free to use the bike throughout the year. The 150 euro isn't taken unless the bike goes missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

the money will not be taken from your account and will not be frozen in your account. They can charge your account if the bike goes missing, but it won't affect your bank balance otherwise.

its also a bit stupid of a company to give you a bike for a fiver and hope you bring it back with no guarantee ? tesco make you pay a euro deposit for a trolley and if they didnt they would end up everywhere

I know, just my experiences of a hold being put on money is that you then cannot access it for use. I've nothing against the charge if something happens, just my experiences of having a hold on funds.
    zulutango wrote: »
    Guys, ye do know that this is a very successful scheme in many cities in the world don't ye? I don't see why it won't be in Cork.

Mushy, you don't need that much money in your account. As far as I know you sign up for a year and in doing do you agree to a clause that the operators can take 150 euro from you if they don't get their bike back from you. You're free to use the bike throughout the year. The 150 euro isn't taken unless the bike goes missing.

I hope and think it will be successful. Small enough city, it's perfect.
    cgcsb wrote: »
    the money will not be taken from your account and will not be frozen in your account. They can charge your account if the bike goes missing, but it won't affect your bank balance otherwise.

That is what I was hoping for. Thanking you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

cgcsb wrote: »

My account has a €1 hold on it. This allows them debit the €150 if the bike goes missing or is damaged. Anyone get their welcome pack yet? Signed up on the 12th, no sign of anything yet.

signed up around the same time - no sign of the welcome pack yet either. I wonder are they still on target?

You can see the docking stations around the place.
    Some of them just have the foundations in place while others have the actual bike docks and the control booth.
    However I haven't seen any branding in place yet.
    Seems ambitious that we will be able to be operational in just over two weeks. (Dec 18th)

I also applied for my welcome pack on day one but haven't received it yet.

the app is now available for iphone anyway - bikeshare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Galway got their cards about a week before their launch.
    I registered for limerick and got my card today.

I would say you Cork folk will get your cards the week before the Cork launch.
    I don't know what they're holding them back for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭thomil

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Seems ambitious that we will be able to be operational in just over two weeks. (Dec 18th)

I wouldn't be too worried about that. The Camden Quay station is literally just around the corner from me, and it only took them a couple of days to get that up. Of course, the big question is how many construction crews are working on that project, but that is something that none of us know at this point.

On a different note, it looks like they're getting ready to move the bike racks at Emmet Place again, if i had to guess, i'd say it's being done to make room for the docking station there.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Has anyone got the welcome pack yet? I did not even manage togfet to the payment stage, I get a server error.

Advertisement