Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you pay for your TV channels?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Basic UPC with no packages. Don't know why we still have it.
    Same here. In an apartment block and basic cable was available when I moved in. Never paid a cent. I presume UPC pipe in basic cable but intend to sell digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Those of you paying for basic channels from Sky/UPC need your heads examined.

Most of those channels are free and the majority of the ones which aren't are rehashed repeats from free channels.

Cop on like.

If you don't get Sky Sports it's hard to see the benefit right enough

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I have Sky. Out of contract with them but how would I set up freeview if I cancel Sky. Can I get freeview on the Sky dish or is there lots of technical stuff to be done? Would appreciate a bit of advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

maringo wrote: »
    I have Sky. Out of contract with them but how would I set up freeview if I cancel Sky. Can I get freeview on the Sky dish or is there lots of technical stuff to be done? Would appreciate a bit of advice.

Freesat, not Freeview. You have a choice keep your SKY box take the card out and you'll have the UK SKY EPG with the Free to air channels in the clear but if you have a SKY+ box you won't be able to record anything. If that's not an issue for you then you are set fair (just make a favourites list to speed-scroll through the EPG!) If you want to record then get yourself a Freesat PVR and stick the cable/s in. Everything else is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Thanks for the info Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I pay for Netflix. We have the free channels but I never use the telly. I watch everything on the internets and have done for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

We don't watch much TV, I download everything we watch mostly but I have all the channels in HD by another means, just for the football really, movies, discoveries etc never get watched

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Have free to air UK set up at the moment. Just waiting to get Saorsat put in over next few weeks. Dont watch enough telly to justify getting a subscription service put in.

Currently have Sky but I'll probably cancel it once the contract is up. I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I pay for Netflix. We have the free channels but I never use the telly. I watch everything on the internets and have done for years.

How much does Netflix cost and how many gigs a month would it use on the Internet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

TURRICAN wrote: »
    How much does Netflix cost and how many gigs a month would it use on the Internet ?

€6.99 a month, well worth it I think, especially if you use a service such as unblock US or my personal favourite playmo.tv so you can get the US version. As for how many gigs a month, that really all depends on how much you watch, I have heard something like 1GB an hour been thrown around, how accurate that is I honestly don't know. Oh and Netflix is free for a month, they only start charging if you don't cancel. Its worth it to me because I have 3 "unlimited data" so when speeds are decent enough I can stream a lot. I have no idea how much I use a month but I would imagine its in the region of atleast 25-30GB

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Currently pay for a basic sky package. In new house planning to do something dodgy... the topic is banned on boards so not sure if I can use the term...
    You can say rimjob on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We pay for Upc and we have sky sports (free through the xbox) :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    ...As for how many gigs a month, that really all depends on how much you watch, I have heard something like 1GB an hour been thrown around, how accurate that is I honestly don't know...

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

michellie wrote: »
    we have sky sports (free through the xbox) :)

Tell me more

Currently with upc, sports & broadband, costing me a fortune :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tell me more

Probably got someone's Sky Go account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I currently get Saorview channels only on 1 TV through a VHF aerial, but, looking at getting Freesat for that and another TV in the kitchen. The VHF aerial freezes up sometimes when watching TV.

I haven't had my 15 UK channels in four years. My family used to pay for them through (Old Cablelink) UPC Cable.

It's ridiculous in this day and age to potentially pay for them again when you don't have to.

EDIT: Can a Mod make the results public?

Canee be done I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

FTA (or Freesat) is Greeeeeeeeeeat :D

No bills, and so many TV and Radio channels, lovely jubbly.

Those of you paying for basic channels from Sky/UPC need your heads examined.

Most of those channels are free and the majority of the ones which aren't are rehashed repeats from free channels.

Cop on like.

Freesat is not much good imo. You miss all the documentary channels like discovery, history etc. No sky1, comedy central, syfy etc, poor selection of music channels and plenty more. Its grand for a bedroom not so much for the main room.

Back on topic we have the full sky pack, all entertainment channels, sports, movies and the HD add on, I could take or leave the movies but couldn't be without the entertainment and sports packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Freesat is not much good imo. You miss all the documentary channels like discovery, history etc. No sky1, comedy central, syfy etc, poor selection of music channels and plenty more. Its grand for a bedroom not so much for the main room.

Back on topic we have the full sky pack, all entertainment channels, sports, movies and the HD add on, I could take or leave the movies but couldn't be without the entertainment and sports packs.

yep pretty much in the same boat except minus the movies and HD. just finished getting sky sports at half price so waiting for another offer before we sign up again. ridiculously expensive otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Free to Air = currently getting about 185 genuine TV channels and 95 decent Radio channels, not forgetting the HD channels BBCHD BBC1HD ITV1HD CHN4HD NHKHD. Of course we also get SKY News, BBC News 24, BBC3, BBC4, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, then there's all the UK regional stations including BBC Scotland, BBC London, BBC Wales, BBC NI, etc etc etc and all the + 1 channels too! Childrens channels including CBeebies, movie channels, music channels, etc etc etc, yes of course there are some notable exceptions, but for a 'freebie' service its bloody brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

LordSutch wrote: »
    Free to Air = currently getting about 185 genuine TV channels and 95 decent Radio channels, not forgetting the HD channels BBCHD BBC1HD ITV1HD CHN4HD NHKHD. Of course we also get SKY News, BBC News 24, BBC3, BBC4, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, then there's all the UK regional stations including BBC Scotland, BBC London, BBC Wales, BBC NI, etc etc etc and all the + 1 channels too! Childrens channels including CBeebies, movie channels, music channels, etc etc etc, yes of course there are some notable exceptions, but for a 'freebie' service its bloody brilliant.

Nice One :cool:; that's the future TV arrangement sorted for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I have liveonlinefooty for football which have HD Streams and every premier league match for 7 quid for two months and a lot of Spanish games. I hook laptop up to HD tv which is great. I also have the free to air skybox where I get BBC, ITV etc(Have to get a HD box soon). I also download every episode of my favourite tv shows and play them through my XBOX as well as films for free. I recently subscribed to Netflix because offering a lot of stuff in HD and can be a pain to download instead of streaming. Dont know will I continute with it TBH. Its good through the XBOX though.

I used to have Sky and only channel I liked was comedy central and then realized it was all repeats and could just download everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Tell me more

Probably got someone's Sky Go account details.

Yep, something like that. I don't know the ins and outs of it!

I have Sky "Dogs Bollix" package.

Advertisement