Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you pay for your TV channels?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

So a guy called to the house the other day asking did I want a certain popular satellite TV installed on a 'special deal' he had? He wanted to charge me €300 for the box and a years subscription to this service. I didn't take it but I was talking to two guys in work who have this system installed and it got me thinking how many people are actually still paying for their TV channels between Saorview, FreeSat or dodgy boxes?

So Boards.ie do you pay for your TV channels?

EDIT: Can a Mod make the results public?

Do you pay for your TV channels? 164 votes

Yes - I have Sky
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - I have UPC
    36% 60 votes
    Yes - I have a Foreign Satellite or other subscription
    22% 37 votes
    No - I get Saorview/Freesat/Freeview
    3% 5 votes
    No - I'm a criminal and I don't want to disclose how I get my channels
    28% 47 votes
    Ah leave eh ouuu
    9% 15 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, I pay.
    Sky, Netflix (not strictly a channel but has series programmes), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

No i steal it all off the interweb.

Anyone know a good site to download a car?

Yeh I have the full package.

I also pay for my TV channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

sky, only way to watch most sports these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

OP, what do you mean? Was he selling 'subscriptions' to Freesat or to Sky (card-sharing thingamajig)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I pay for sex, I don't pay for TV.
    I am not like most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I have an old Sky box that picks up all of the free English stations,on the rare occasions when there's something decent on RTE,I watch it on the (terrible) RTE player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Free to air satellite.

Why hidden results?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Currently paying for Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I pay Sky for the whole bananas package. €76 per month well spent (not actually paying that but should be ;))

Why are results hidden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He wanted to charge me €300 for the box and a years subscription to this service.
    I get a letter through the door offering me the box free, free installation and 3 months for for free every six months or so. He was really trying to do a number on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

can i download the poll results illegally?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Where's the "No - I have Sky* " option?

through the xbox :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So a guy called to the house the other day asking did I want a certain popular satellite TV installed on a 'special deal' he had? He wanted to charge me €300 for the box and a years subscription to this service. I didn't take it but I was talking to two guys in work who have this system installed and it got me thinking how many people are actually still paying for their TV channels between Saorview, FreeSat or dodgy boxes?

So Boards.ie do you pay for your TV channels?

Thought Nagravision 3 had pretty much put dodgy boxes off the market. That said scammers might try to charge you for a system that is in fact Free to Air.

Anyway FTA/Freesat is the way in these impoverished times, no good if you can't live without your sport of course but otherwise you'd be an idiot to pay for SKY when FTA and Soarview are one off payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Netflix with Unblock US is fantastic, as is FiimOn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

OP, what do you mean? Was he selling 'subscriptions' to Freesat or to Sky (card-sharing thingamajig)?

Sounds like a dodgy box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Can a mod make the results public? Mistake on my end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Basic UPC with no packages. Don't know why we still have it.

I have a website and a torrent site where I basically can watch every TV show or Movie I want, when I want. It's great.

The days of being told you're watching ****ty programmes x at time y are coming to an ennd thank F*ck !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you really want to save money get an old tv,take the front off and stick it on the window,brillant 3D picture and fully interactive.Not much on at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Can a mod make the results public? Mistake on my end!
    Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

kneemos wrote: »
    Sounds like a dodgy box.

Maybe not a dodgy box but definitely a dodgy salesman. I've heard a few stories about people (usually older folk) paying €100+ for (what they think are) subscriptions to the free-to-air channels.

One lady I know of had a call-card from the early 90's in her set top box believing it worked like a Sky Card and paid a lad €60 every every 3 months for it!

Crafty scumbags :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yeah, cardsharing or something like that. Illegal Sky really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Lollers wrote: »
    Netflix with Unblock US is fantastic, as is FiimOn.

Sorry for sidetracking thread but how do you do that?

I have sky which I pay for, just the basic package. Used to have the sports as well but if there is a game I really want to watch now I just stream it or go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Yeah, cardsharing or something like that. Illegal Sky really.

Ah leave eh ouuu

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

on upc, only the basic package but it has what i want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Those of you paying for basic channels from Sky/UPC need your heads examined.

Most of those channels are free and the majority of the ones which aren't are rehashed repeats from free channels.

Cop on like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dirtyden wrote: »
    Sorry for sidetracking thread but how do you do that?

I have sky which I pay for, just the basic package. Used to have the sports as well but if there is a game I really want to watch now I just stream it or go to the pub.

Can't be explained here - breaks forum rules.
    Ask the question in google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Currently pay for a basic sky package. In new house planning to do something dodgy... the topic is banned on boards so not sure if I can use the term...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I recently switched over from Virgin media to a Sky TV, internet , phone package and not sure how many but we have a wide variety of channels now which we are happy enough with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I pay nothing. Get the Irish channels through aerial/Saorview. Get the UK channels on aerial also. Live close to the north. When the changeover happens I'll just get the UK channels on Freeview. No point in paying for all this through Sky.

Advertisement