Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden Stratospheric Warming 2016/2017 ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    A technical BUT an extremely weak SSW. The zonal winds at 10hPa are -0.1 m/s which is very weak and could potentially be the weakest SSW on record unless they go more negative over the next few days but I don't expect any further drops, I expect the zonal winds to go back into positive territory.

Meanwhile, the AO is trending very negative up to 16 February. Very interesting but unfortunately, the NAO is still trending rather positive and for a better chance of a sustained cold spell, you need the NAO to go negative. :(

That's true.
    It's a weak warming because of the westerly QBO state- that is why the NAO is likely staying positive too. The one thing on our side is the size of the block, although with a positive NAO and the vortex forecasted to quickly recover due to the weak reversal, the odds of the Atlantic getting back in over us is high. England, as always, has a greater chance of holding on to a continental feed. Still i wont complain at all if only we get a 2- 3 day cold spell with heavy snow showers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Hi guy!
    I admire all the technical know how. The charts, the edumacation gone into it. But for the life me lads what are ye saying? :( are we getting snow or a hurricane?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

This winter will go down as the winter that promised so much but gave F all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hi guy!
    I admire all the technical know how. The charts, the edumacation gone into it. But for the life me lads what are ye saying? :( are we getting snow or a hurricane?

Neither :P, more bland dry weather after a very unsettled spell.

UK people could be in for a February 1991 situation as the Polar Vortex looks like being properly split despite the SSW being extremely weak unlike in 2013. I'd like to thank the guys at Netweather for sharing this chart from January 1991.

This chart in the attachment below shows some very significant warming at the end of January 1991 much like what happened in January 2017 but unlike this year, the 1991 warming wasn't considered a SSW. Nevertheless, due to how weak the SSW is in 2017, it is very similar to 1991's warming.

For anybody that doesn't know, February 1991 started off exceptionally cold across the UK in particular with the cold far less intense over Ireland but it was still colder than normal. Around the end of the first week, snow started to show its hand across the east of Ireland and there were some heavy falls. After around 2 weeks of bitterly cold conditions, however, the Polar Vortex reformed and we got a much milder and wetter end to February 1991 with 13c on the 23rd. Read more about it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwAX53FX4EFMVEdtbTRFTDRCdjQ/view?usp=sharing

Before January & December 2010, February 1991 was the last month in England to record a mean temperature of less than 2c.

February 1991 was not the most severe cold or snowy month by any means but I'd take it if I were offered it :D.

• Advertisement

No doubt if netweather forum was around in 1991 some people there would have looked for the breakdown at week two, rather than enjoy the two weeks of snowy nirvana:D

I noticed the UKMO added this to their forecast for late next week:'some snow showers are likely to affect the east and northeast. There is just a small chance of these becoming heavy and spreading to central and some western areas this weekend. "

GFS is now showing another significant warming to take place through the 3rd to last week of February. This one looking like disrupting the Polar Vortex more abruptly.

GFS is now showing another significant warming to take place through the 3rd to last week of February. This one looking like disrupting the Polar Vortex more abruptly.

I fear mother nature likes trolling us, by showing us what we could have in winter time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

blap.gif

I'll leave this for greater minds than mine to interpret.

New Moon

Joe B tweeted this recently

strongest phase 8 MJO in 40 plus years record forecasted now on BOMM, NCEP, ECMWF, JMA Amazing
    Just went through major warm phases 5,6,7

Will the models in response start showing eye candy charts for the second week of March soon? I have acute model fatigue syndrome at this stage.

• Advertisement

Could this mid-March cold spell that's being shown by the models be the response to the Stratospheric Warming?

Could this mid-March cold spell that's being shown by the models be the response to the Stratospheric Warming?

The guys over on the Netweather Stratosphere thread believe there is usually a two- three week lag period before the effects begin to show up in the troposphere.
    As i mentioned in the other thread, the uk met office must, to commit to a cold spell at this stage, be picking up a strong signal from their own model.

Of course it will all go pear shaped in the end:pac: At this time of year it does not bother me if that happens, as without the perfect set up it will be cold rain or sleet, rather than snow that gives accumulations at lower levels.

The guys over on the Netweather Stratosphere thread believe there is usually a two- three week lag period before the effects begin to show up in the troposphere.
    As i mentioned in the other thread, the uk met office must, to commit to a cold spell at this stage, be picking up a strong signal from their own model.

Of course it will all go pear shaped in the end:pac: At this time of year it does not bother me if that happens, as without the perfect set up it will be cold rain or sleet, rather than snow that gives accumulations at lower levels.

So there was no response to the January SSW (which was extremely weak)?

So there was no response to the January SSW (which was extremely weak)?

I think there was, remember that brief weak south easterly flow we had due to the scandi high, which quickly sunk.

I think there was, remember that brief weak south easterly flow we had due to the scandi high, which quickly sunk.

You thought that was the response? I thought that was way too fast for a response to the SSW.

You thought that was the response? I thought that was way too fast for a response to the SSW.

Apparently it was, according to what i read, usually the response takes two- three weeks

It looks as though the response to the late February stratospheric warming is taking place now except in the USA where the eastern seaboard is much colder than normal and a nor'easter will take place in the coming days bringing blizzards. This is a contrast to the warm Winter they recorded. Meanwhile, temperatures at home are expected to go back down to average or stay slightly above for the next 7-10 days after a warm weekend.

It looks as though the response to the late February stratospheric warming is taking place now except in the USA where the eastern seaboard is much colder than normal and a nor'easter will take place in the coming days bringing blizzards. This is a contrast to the warm Winter they recorded. Meanwhile, temperatures at home are expected to go back down to average or stay slightly above for the next 7-10 days after a warm weekend.

I have family over there They say its quite cold at the moment, and it will be cold all week.

Advertisement