Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand referendum on plans for a new flag without Union Jack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Why don't the Aussies and the New Zealanders use the American star spangled banner? If you're going to copy America's culture, you might as well copy their flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Rugby lads on the back of sheep, charging the black gate into Mordor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Kiwi Flag has 4 red stars, Aussie has 5 white stars and the Federation star. Couldn't be simpler.
    Yes, major major differences. Not like there are any striking similarities to be confused by.

1/4 Union Flag
    Blue background
    Stars in a Southern Cross constellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What about a kiwi eating a kiwi

A kiwi eating a kiwi while it eats a kiwi. I think the bird might be endangered so having it in the middle of the chain might be unpopular. Although the bird eating a person is only really suitable if the Boltons took over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd say it will end up like the Scottish independence referendum. There'll be lots of noise about it being on a knifes edge, maybe even a poll or 2 suggesting a victory for changing the flag. Then on the day itself about 60%+ of people will vote to retain the current flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

They should keep the Union Jack.

Il be honest I dont really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The new flag should be all black...
    Good idea. They should also get Flight of the Conchords to write a new national anthem while they're at it.

Black Flag you say....

Why don't the Aussies and the New Zealanders use the American star spangled banner? If you're going to copy America's culture, you might as well copy their flag.

Hmmm...meanwhile in Hawaii the state flag features this popular motif...

http://www.50states.com/flag/image/nunst016.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Kiwi Flag has 4 red stars, Aussie has 5 white stars and the Federation star. Couldn't be simpler.

It could be simpler. One could be red and the other could be blue. To suggest that there's not striking similarities between the two is disagreeing for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I always find it gas how English cricket fans wind the Aussies and Kiwis up by chanting 'get your sh1t stars off our flag' at cricket matches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Empires span human history.... It's not like the lads next door invented that idea. Where do you stop sure what did the Romans ever do for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Seems rather odd that they'd want to have a flag so similar to their nearest neighbours and one that has another country's flag implanted on to their own.

This one below looks cool

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1413329503/571/10619571.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Empires span human history.... It's not like the lads next door invented that idea. Where do you stop sure what did the Romans ever do for us.
    Why does the German and Russian coat of arms still show the Roman eagle? Don't they have any pride in their national identity?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why does the German and Russian coat of arms still show the Roman eagle? Don't they have any pride in their national identity?!

The Russian believe they are the heirs of Byzantine empire, while the Germans were once rulers of the holy roman empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I think one does not get the reference... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The Russian believe they are the heirs of Byzantine empire, while the Germans were once rulers of the holy roman empire.
    Were the British not once rulers of the British empire? The New Zealanders are of British descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Were the British not once rulers of the British empire? The New Zealanders are of British descent.

Plenty of Scots, like Canada, and while similarly very imperialist in the Forties and Fifties, more Pacific-oriented now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

'm pretty sure them Maori lads would love to hear you explain to them that they are descended from the Brits!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wow those proposed new flag designs are absolutely awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

'm pretty sure them Maori lads would love to hear you explain to them that they are descended from the Brits!

Isn't there almost nobody left that is 100% Maori?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Isn't the Irish flag the same as the Ivory Coast flag?

Or is it just a faded Italian flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Isn't the Irish flag the same as the Ivory Coast flag?

Or is it just a faded Italian flag?

A back to front Ivory Coast flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

List of 40 potential flags.

Personally like the second one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

List of 40 potential flags.

Personally like the second one myself.

Hard to choose.

Honestly I think i'd keep the old one.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Lizzy is set to kick the bucket soon enough, best chance is if Charlie gets to sit in the big chair.

That will really up the odds of Australia (and Canada) finally putting on their big boy meritocracy pants and electing their own head of state.

Thereafter there might be a slim to medium chance of Australia changing their flag, NZ however are more content with keeping the "royals" and G.Britains flag.

They'll keep it as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'd pay in to see that one meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It could be simpler. One could be red and the other could be blue. To suggest that there's not striking similarities between the two is disagreeing for the sake of it.

I disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's the Maori people that should have the final say, seeing as it was their land that was stolen under the banner of the Butchers Apron.

*insert yawn here*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    NZ is a fairly conservative country so I'd be surprised if this passed, parts of it are more English than England.

NZ gave women the vote in 1893 - Ireland 1922 (ok, the Irish didn't have a choice in that one, but the UK dragged it out until 1918)
    NZ legalised prostitution in 2003 (note, it's illegal to coerce someone into becoming a prostitute, emphasising freedom of choice)
    NZ legalised civil unions in 2005 and same sex marriage in 2013 - Ireland took to 2015 to stop mucking about (but am glad they finally did).
    NZ legalised abortion in 1977 - Ireland, still waiting.

I don't think NZ is as conservative as you may think, and it's more multi cultural than many expect - especially the bigger cities. You might to visit again.

The new flag designs are crap.

Advertisement