Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand referendum on plans for a new flag without Union Jack

Options
  • 22-09-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nz-moves-scrub-union-jack-flag-103942467.html#pl4Ek1Q

New Zealand's PM has outlined plans to redesign the flag as it is too similar to Australia's this includes removing the Union Jack but the nationalist PM wants to keep the monarchy and strengthen ties with it.

I personally don't understand why both NZ and Australia continue to have the Union Jack on their flag. I get they're part of the commonwealth, but they're not colonies anymore. Even in sport the Aussies and the English hate each other.

Time for their own identity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's the Maori people that should have the final say, seeing as it was their land that was stolen under the banner of the Butchers Apron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Yes - a blue background with a massive brown kiwi on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Ok Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yes - a blue background with a massive brown kiwi on the front.

What about a kiwi eating a kiwi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Entirely up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Is cannibalism a suitable representation of the NZ people? They metaphorically ate and spat out the Maori's, so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's the Maori people that should have the final say, seeing as it was their land that was stolen under the banner of the Butchers Apron.

Well that didn't take long

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well that didn't take long

:rolleyes:

It's true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I suppose in a country in which their recorded history only begins in the late 18th century. Many of the ancestors of the British colonists would promote and latch on to the enriching British culture and heritage. While at the same time distracting people from the culture and heritage their ancestors almost erraticated when they arrived.

I guess after a couple of hundreds years at least New Zealand feels like it has established enough of an Itentity to break away from the commonwealth image.

Good on them, beautiful country, lovely people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Is cannibalism a suitable representation of the NZ people? They metaphorically ate and spat out the Maori's, so why not.

Maori's killed and ate the previous occupiers, the Moriori

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's true though.

I suppose this thread will suffice until the annual poppy thread pops up in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's true though.

Hor far are you going to go back so? Is this just limited to beneficiaries of the British empire or does anyone who gained from land then by force lose their vote? I'm fairly sure none of us would be voting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The new flag should be all black...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its kinda of interesting.

How long do countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada keep links that are getting out of date and make a new statement saying "This is what we are now and this is the way we are going"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The new flag should be all black...

Seems a missed opportunity to not represent the countries largest ethnic group, the sheep :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this seems like a pretty trite distraction from the issue of having a republic and all the other issues to do with sovereignty and native peoples.

New Zealand just voted John Keys back in, theres must be alot of conservative people on those islands

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Maybe a flag that's all black?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Maybe a flag that's all black?

8 minutes late dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Help!!!! wrote: »
    see the
    The Moriori in New Zealand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriori_people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Moriori were the a-proiri occupiers of the Chatham islands not NZ. I only mention it because I just googled 'Moriori' and I got to wordplay with a priori ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Nah, I'm pretty sure yer man in the Time Machine destroyed their base and freed the Eloi.

Good idea. They should also get Flight of the Conchords to write a new national anthem while they're at it.

With a picture of Xzibit saying "Yo Dawg, I heard you like outdated internet memes kiwis!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

So everyone born in NZ since then shouldn't have a say in their flag? Also there was actually a treaty signed with the Maori. Look up the Treaty of Waitangi.
    this seems like a pretty trite distraction from the issue of having a republic and all the other issues to do with sovereignty and native peoples.

New Zealand just voted John Keys back in, theres must be alot of conservative people on those islands

Not much of a push for a republic in NZ and as far as native people go, the Maori probably did the best out of all those colonized by Europeans. I'm not saying it was completely fair or perfect.

Also they didn't re-elect John Key by a landslide because they are conservative. Its because he has been doing brilliant things in that country. Economy is growing and unemployment is below 5% A few of his ideas might help out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A sheep instead of the Union flag, representing the nation's favourite pastime/national sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The shortlist of forty alternative designs, should the current flag be scrapped, has been announced. That said, most just seem to be variants of two common themes, namely the Maori flag and the silver fern on a black background, so three real choices for the Kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Never really understood why two supposedly independent proud nations (Aus and NZ) cling onto a rather ridiculous flag design which;

a) are indistinguishable from each other (Aus and NZ).
    b) looks exactly like a British naval ensign.

NZ is a fairly conservative country so I'd be surprised if this passed, parts of it are more English than England.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Jimoslimos wrote: »

a) are indistinguishable from each other (Aus and NZ).

Kiwi Flag has 4 red stars, Aussie has 5 white stars and the Federation star. Couldn't be simpler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The current flag of New Zealand . . . . .

The flag of New Zealand is a defaced Blue Ensign with the Union Flag* in the canton, and four red stars with white borders to the right. The stars pattern represents the asterism within the constellation of Crux, the Southern Cross.

*Union Flag/ represents The Cross of St George [English settlers], The cross of St Andrew [Scottish settlers], and The cross of St Patrick [Irish settlers], not forgetting the Welsh who are automatically accommodated in the Union flag.

Maybe it is time for them to change their flag? and maybe it is time to represent the Maori tradition on the flag too?

We'll have to wait and see what they vote for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Calibos wrote: »
    The Moriori were the a-proiri occupiers of the Chatham islands not NZ. I only mention it because I just googled 'Moriori' and I got to wordplay with a priori ;)

The Moriori seemed like quite enlightened people living within their means non-violently until brutally subjugated by Maori invaders.

Advertisement