Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists breaking lights!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

First Up wrote: »
    So its OK then is it?

I didn't say that.

I was making the point that generalizing won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

So does anyone know what's allowed in this situation if a cyclist damages your car and tries to do a runner?

Are you allowed physical force to stop them and hold them there while waiting for the Gardai?

So do an awful of motorists.

Don't generalise OP, it doesn't help your case.

Just be glad you didn't seriously injure yourself or the cyclist. The car can be fixed.

Wouldn't the cyclist have injured themselves? Wasn't the drivers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

omega666 wrote: »
    So does anyone know what's allowed in this situation if a cyclist damages your car and tries to do a runner?

Are you allowed physical force to stop them and hold them there while waiting for the Gardai?
    No. Exact same rules as if any other vehicle hits yours and leaves. You're not permitted to detain another citizen except under specific circumstances. You can perform a citizens arrest if you believe they've committed an offence, but you can't detain them unless the offence is a specific one. I forget the rules off-hand.

All you can do is follow the other vehicle and/or make a report to the local Garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

A cyclist that does stop at red lights, doesn't travel the wrong ay up one way streets and doesn't cycle all over footpaths is very much the exception.

I am going to walk 2 minutes to my car now and I can pretty much guarantee you that I will see one of these 3 things....

For the record, yesterday, in this 2 minute walk, I saw 2 cyclists on footpaths, and two acting as "pedestrians" by cycling through red lights when the green man was on. I didn't see any cyclists going the wrong way up a one-way street to be fair.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't the cyclist have injured themselves? Wasn't the drivers fault.

Don't be pedantic.

I just meant the OP should be thankful no-one was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

seamus wrote: »
    No. Exact same rules as if any other vehicle hits yours and leaves. You're not permitted to detain another citizen except under specific circumstances. You can perform a citizens arrest if you believe they've committed an offence, but you can't detain them unless the offence is a specific one. I forget the rules off-hand.

All you can do is follow the other vehicle and/or make a report to the local Garda station.

Is it the same though?
    A vehicle has a licence plate so if they do a runner you still have a way to identify them. There’s no way to id a cyclist so if they take off you most likely will never see them again. Following them prob wouldnt work either as you cant folllow a bike everywhere.

Would the offence not be criminal damage to property or attempting to leave the scene of an accident?

You can identify them by description.

The offence would be leaving the scene of an accident as it's an incident under the road traffic act.

Don't be pedantic.

I just meant the OP should be thankful no-one was hurt.

Relieved, yes. Thankful, no.

The cyclist should be thankful that no one was injured as they are the one who caused this. But I suppose they would only be thankful for that if they had the common decency to stop and take responsibilty for their actions.

Accidents happen. I doubt the cyclist set out that day with the intention of damaging a vehicle. But leaving the cost of repairs in the hands of an innocent party is a dickhead thing to do.

Relieved, yes. Thankful, no.

The cyclist should be thankful that no one was injured as they are the one who caused this. But I suppose they would only be thankful for that if they had the common decency to stop and take responsibilty for their actions.

Accidents happen. I doubt the cyclist set out that day with the intention of damaging a vehicle. But leaving the cost of repairs in the hands of an innocent party is a dickhead thing to do.

Absolutely. I'm not taking issue with that.

I am taking issuing the OP generalizing and acting as though the cyclist was being deliberately dangerous on his/her bike.

As you say accidents happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

So do an awful of motorists.

Don't generalise OP, it doesn't help your case.

Just be glad you didn't seriously injure yourself or the cyclist. The car can be fixed.

I wasnt generalising as such, I simply stated that a cyclist broke a red light and caused a fair amount of amount to my car aswell as mental distress, im still not over it fully yet!!!

I am glad no one was hurt. However, if he had obeyed the rules of the road the accident could have been avoided!!!! I walk from rathmines down to the grand canal to work every morning (the day the accident happened I was on annual leave) and at all the junctions on the way down I always see at least one cyclist breaking the lights. There is one particular junction down near mount street where pedestrians have a green man and the cycle man is red, however I have seen so many people almost hit and then the cyclist to yell abuse even though they were in the wrong!

As for fixing the car, im a graduate trainee on a low salary and repaying back a loan for completing my masters last year. I am not able to afford to fix my car. Why should I be forced to pay for fixing it when I was not in the wrong. The cyclist broke the red light not me!! do you think if it was the other way around he wouldnt have made a huge deal over, probably say he badly injured himself etc trying to get compensation?

I reported the incident to the guards and i have phoned my insurance company. There is a shop beside the junction and i went in to see their cctv but it would not be able to pick up the traffic lights unfortunately.

Well by taking the decision to jump the red light, the cyclist was being deliberately dangerous.

I think the OP was just venting. I'm not gonna bust their balls over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Absolutely. I'm not taking issue with that.

I am taking issuing the OP generalizing and acting as though the cyclist was being deliberately dangerous on his/her bike.

As you say accidents happen.

Anybody who breaks a red light is being deliberately dangerous, motorist or cyclist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭The Singing Beard

A bicycle is a vehicle as far as I know.

Cyclists only seem to regard bikes as vehicles when it comes to their rights and NOT as a vehicle when it comes to their responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I didn't say that.

I was making the point that generalizing won't help.

Where's the generalising in criticising cyclists who ignore the rules of the road (and pavement)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Accidents don't just happen.

They are usually caused.

First Up wrote: »
    Where's the generalising in criticising cyclists who ignore the rules of the road (and pavement)?
    L. O. Funking. L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

seamus wrote: »
    L. O. Funking. L.

Criticising a specific set of cyclists (or motorists) for a specific reason ie breaking the rules of the road is not generalising. No more than saying you condemn people who murder is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

newport2 wrote: »
    Criticising a specific set of cyclists (or motorists) for a specific reason ie breaking the rules of the road is not generalising. No more than saying you condemn people who murder is.

You would have thought that was obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I'm glad of a red light. Let's me get my breath back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Saw one break a red this morning and another going along the footpath just half an hour ago.

Motorists that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

They don't even pay road tax Joe!

But who does?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

fxotoole wrote: »
    Cyclists do it more regularly than drivers though. They think that the law shouldn't apply to them and don't bother their holes obeying the rules of the road

They have a rubber arsed tour de France fantasy to live out, no time for any of that other nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

im a cyclist myself and i have seen a number of cyclists ignore traffic lights. It is strange. I think they think that cyclists dont have to adhere to the lights or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I wasnt generalising as such, I simply stated that a cyclist broke a red light and caused a fair amount of amount to my car aswell as mental distress, im still not over it fully yet!!!

I am glad no one was hurt. However, if he had obeyed the rules of the road the accident could have been avoided!!!! I walk from rathmines down to the grand canal to work every morning (the day the accident happened I was on annual leave) and at all the junctions on the way down I always see at least one cyclist breaking the lights. There is one particular junction down near mount street where pedestrians have a green man and the cycle man is red, however I have seen so many people almost hit and then the cyclist to yell abuse even though they were in the wrong!

As for fixing the car, im a graduate trainee on a low salary and repaying back a loan for completing my masters last year. I am not able to afford to fix my car. Why should I be forced to pay for fixing it when I was not in the wrong. The cyclist broke the red light not me!! do you think if it was the other way around he wouldnt have made a huge deal over, probably say he badly injured himself etc trying to get compensation?

I reported the incident to the guards and i have phoned my insurance company. There is a shop beside the junction and i went in to see their cctv but it would not be able to pick up the traffic lights unfortunately.

I'm shocked by the behaviour of this guy and also with many of the floppy responses regarding it. this is a serious hit and run case.:mad:

it's a pity the camera didn' t get it. personally, I would do anything to get this b***, he can't get away with it.
    as somebody else said, he's probably going that route every morning, can you not try to spot him and follow him to work or wherever he stops?? such guys need to learn their lesson by paying for everything including being brought to court. as said, it's a hit and run, imagine he's behind a wheel of a car, big possibility he'll doing a hit and run even when injured humans are involved, someones little daughter or son even. nice...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I encounter a handful of these eejits on my walk to and from work. A cyclist came out from behind a bus under red lights a few weeks ago and hit a pram off Aungier St. Someone had the balls to shout at him as the woman was just visibly stressed and couldn't usher a word to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Enough about bashing cyclists and Drivers - I think it is the Gardai fault not doing anything about it

Present day, everyone will admit that J-walkers and cyclists are the biggest criminals and yet they get away with it all of the time.

Even the Guards do it themselves, once you enforce the law at J-Walkers / Cyclists then, people will have enough fear not to break the law especially when they know that they will be fined for it.

Irish people have no fear, thats the problem, you dont see anyone in the States doing J -Walking cause they know the consequences of what happens whey they caught

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

it's not cyclists...

it's just di'ckheads... there just happens to be loads of them on bikes...

same fckers would speed up and fly through a red light in a car or run across the road in front of you when you have right of way.

theres always one idiot on the road, cycling, driving or walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

This is Dublin, you are bound to see him again..........the cyclists is bound to be cycling the same route to/from work...man out the position some day and follow him to work...then let the guards know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sadderday wrote: »
    it's not cyclists...

it's just di'ckheads... there just happens to be loads of them on bikes...

same fckers would speed up and fly through a red light in a car or run across the road in front of you when you have right of way.

theres always one idiot on the road, cycling, driving or walking.

Yes. Best way to be when driving/cycling/walking is just to assume that every other driver/cyclist/pedestrian is a dick and that they are going to do something stupid.

Advertisement