Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists breaking lights!!

Options
  • 14-08-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I am still in shock! I had an accident today and I am still shaking. I was at a junction this morning, my green filter light to turn right came on so I continued to proceed, I traveled about 15 feet and am almost into the junction where I wanted to travel to and a cyclist smashes into the side of my car doing considerable damage to my door. Thankfully the cyclist was ok too but I was in so much shock I could not think properly. The cyclist picked himself up, fixed his chain and continues on. I said to him that he broke a red light and that he will have to repair damage done to my car. He says accidents happen and that he doesnt have any money to fix it. He said he was late for work and continued on.

I am sick of cyclists everyday breaking lights...they seriously need to cop the f**k on and obey rules of the road.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

Driver's break red lights too, you know. Are you sick of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Cyclists do it more regularly than drivers though. They think that the law shouldn't apply to them and don't bother their holes obeying the rules of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

fxotoole wrote: »
    They think that the law shouldn't apply to them and don't bother their holes obeying the rules of the road

Generalisation much. I cycle and I drive a car and obeying the Road traffic acts are in my best interests regardless of my mode of transport. Some cyclists are assholes as are some drivers, but nothing grinds my gears than people who use the above quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They don't even pay road tax Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

This isn't over OP ! THIS ISNT OVER!

We are all creatures of habit. I bet you anything that dude will cycle the same route tomorrow at the same time. If not tomorrow then on Monday or Tuesday etc. Spot him then follow him to work. Then straight to the guards to make a complaint about a hit and run. You can do this today... I think... If there was any cameras in the area that could help too. I wouldn't be letting this one go, well... not easily.

No one **** over c0rk3r! No one !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was it your front door or back door he smashed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Well I'm a cyclist and a driver too and I see cyclists breaking red lights everyday. Sometimes I think I'm the only cyclist who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

sblythe wrote: »

I am fully aware of that. but this thread is not about that!! My OP was a cyclist broke a red light and crashed into me causing considerable shock and leaving me a state of shock. He broke the light, is wrong, has no insurance and I am left with a heft bill to fix something that was not my fault!! how is that fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Write it off as a lesson learned OP....and make sure they can't get up next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I cycle to work and I like to swerve around the broken lines in the middle of the road.

I get bored and cycle really slow in the bus lane.

Most of the time I slow down for a red light though but then I get to it and give the cars the middle finger and avoid any pedestrians walking with the green man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I am still in shock! I had an accident today and I am still shaking. I was at a junction this morning, my green filter light to turn right came on so I continued to proceed, I traveled about 15 feet and am almost into the junction where I wanted to travel to and a cyclist smashes into the side of my car doing considerable damage to my door. Thankfully the cyclist was ok too but I was in so much shock I could not think properly. The cyclist picked himself up, fixed his chain and continues on. I said to him that he broke a red light and that he will have to repair damage done to my car. He says accidents happen and that he doesnt have any money to fix it. He said he was late for work and continued on.

I am sick of cyclists everyday breaking lights...they seriously need to cop the f**k on and obey rules of the road.

One utter c*nt of a cyclist doesn't mean that all cyclists are the same.

I hope you called the guards to report this, as the cyclist broke the law by leaving the scene of an accident. Even if there was no way of identifying him there might have been a car nearby which could have spotted him, or CCTV or something else.

Driver's breaking the law doesn't excuse cyclists doing the same. It doesn't mean that a cyclist who causes an accident is exempt from dealing with the consequences either.

I am fully aware of that. but this thread is not about that!! My OP was a cyclist broke a red light and crashed into me causing considerable shock and leaving me a state of shock. He broke the light, is wrong, has no insurance and I am left with a heft bill to fix something that was not my fault!! how is that fair?

You shouldn't have been killing the earth with your fumes. The earth will thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

A cyclist that does stop at red lights, doesn't travel the wrong ay up one way streets and doesn't cycle all over footpaths is very much the exception.

I am going to walk 2 minutes to my car now and I can pretty much guarantee you that I will see one of these 3 things....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You shouldn't have been killing the earth with your fumes. The earth will thank you.

Thanks for trying to exasperate the motorist v cyclist bullsh*t, and for doing your best to make life a bit more difficult for all of us who regularly cycle but don't see being on the road as way to look for fights.

Attitudes like the one you show only serve to fuel conflict on the road, not reduce it.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Thanks for trying to exasperate the motorist v cyclist bullsh*t, and for doing your best to make life a bit more difficult for all of us who regularly cycle but don't see being on the road as way to look for fights.

Attitudes like the one you show only serve to fuel conflict on the road, not reduce it.

Sarcasm, your head, over.

This debate always ends the same. Anyone who thinks cyclists are all gowls are ignorant.
    Anyone who thinks motorists are all gowls are all ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

We all know cyclists are poor people who can't afford to join the the 21st century and buy a car, most of them are illiterate so cannot understand road signs and cannot comprehend the uses of a traffic light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would have not left that cyclist get away without paying damage, if it were a car that crashed into you wouldn't it be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Whataboutery in the first post. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I don't drive or cycle in cities, and from a pedestrian point of view cyclists are FAR more of a problem than motorists. Been clipped or almost hit several times by cyclists, had to get out of THEIR way on footpaths many more.

No, not every cyclist disobeys the rules of the road, but an awful fcuking lot of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Whataboutery in the first post. Well done.

Next stage is the Schism where the lycra wearers start blaming the Dublin Bike users on giving cyclists a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

how is that fair?
    It's not. The guy's a scumbag. Same as if someone drove into the side of your car and drove off. Today make a report to the Gardai and go the businesses at the junction and see if their CCTV watches the traffic on the junction. They may have caught it on camera and so can prove your side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Jesus not again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

The reality is the cyclists who engage in this behaviour are going to continue until guards start paying attention and issuing summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

As a pedestrian this infuriates me.

Last week a cyclist skipped a red light, I couldn't see him since there was a bus in the way. He clipped into me, stopped and told me to watch where I was going. That's three times in about a year it has happened to me.

Rules of the road apply to everyone using it, be it cyclists, motorists or pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Enforcement is the problem - I've seen cop cars sitting at the Dame St/South Great Georges St junction, oblivious as lots of cyclists (and a car or two) break the reds there. Yesterday a Traffic Corps car drove down Wicklow Street ignoring four cars parked on double yellows, all leaving just enough space for an average-sized car to get by.

They should be moving these twats on, at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Jesus not again

You saw the thread title, yet still open and post.

EazyD wrote: »

Almost like a cyclist coming up to a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

EazyD wrote: »

Yes I did :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Every time I meet a cyclist powering on toward me on the salmon weird bridge's footpath, I'm extremely tempted to shove them out in front of a car. Somewhat stunned it's never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I cycle to work everyday.
    I wear high viz gear, proper lights on my bike and I obey the rules of the road 95% of the time.

I'll alwYs stop at a junction if there's a red light but I won't stop at a pedestrian crossing if there's a red light but no pedestrians - it drives me bits when pedestrians press the button, cross anyway (Jaywalking) and then the light goes red and there's no pedestrian there.

Other cyclist really infuriate me when they:
    Have no lights
    No helmet
    Break stop signs & reds at junctions
    Bunny hop onto a footpath.
    Shoal at a junction and go right up to the top even though they are on a ****e bike with almost flat tyres and I'll just have to pass them out again.

Advertisement