Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Birth of a new club......

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ok plan is a base spin 0830 sat about 90 k average 29kph but waiting over drags.
    Hilier spin 70k ish over winter on sun.
    Series of entry spins too starting at 10-20 k for complete beginners and trying to develop a touring section of 50k at 24-5kph average.
    Also looking to have some MTB and cross spins.
    Planning to have 3-4 coached spins from proper coaches over winter too.
    Maybe spin classess too.
    Bit of everything and to include 10-15k leisure riders, tourers , vet/a4 racers and this year aspire to a gorey team.
    most of all incourage as many as possible to get into cycling at all levels in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Hi, as a recent 'MAMIL' inductee , I would be really interested in this as I have no experience of cycling within a group.
    I would have no problem dropping off a group if the pace picks up , old legs being what they are , just so I have an excuse to get out at the week-end .

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ok plan is a base spin 0830 sat about 90 k average 29kph but waiting over drags.
    Hilier spin 70k ish over winter on sun.
    Series of entry spins too starting at 10-20 k for complete beginners and trying to develop a touring section of 50k at 24-5kph average.
    Also looking to have some MTB and cross spins.
    Planning to have 3-4 coached spins from proper coaches over winter too.
    Maybe spin classess too.
    Bit of everything and to include 10-15k leisure riders, tourers , vet/a4 racers and this year aspire to a gorey team.
    most of all incourage as many as possible to get into cycling at all levels in the area.
    What time will you leave on the Sunday cycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ian_rush wrote: »

Usually 9.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bcmf wrote: »
    Usually 9.30.

Will you welcome members of other clubs to join your spins?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ian_rush wrote: »
    09:30 from outside school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »

You have your own club spins. Go on out of that. Greedy.

Inquitus wrote: »

Absolutely, all welcome.
    Helmets and an appreciation of good coffee obligatory.....

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Hi, as a recent 'MAMIL' inductee , I would be really interested in this as I have no experience of cycling within a group.
    I would have no problem dropping off a group if the pace picks up , old legs being what they are , just so I have an excuse to get out at the week-end .

Dave

This would be a nice spin to get you going Dave as BCMF says nobody is left behind. The Saturday route has plenty of spots to catch up if you struggle on the small drags which come early enough in the spin.

And I'm sure all MAMILS or MILFS are welcome. Some of the regular Saturday morning crew have trouble telling the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What is the route for Sunday?

No real set route but tends to head toward Julianstown , Duleekn, Kentstown , Ardcath, Naul etc but it's not set in stone and can end up around Ashbourne Garristown etc

I might pop down and join yis for a bit anyway. Where do you stop for coffee? :)

Usually Naul. Wont be out this Sunday so text Rob Fowl and hope he replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where and what time is the meeting point on Saturdays? Might join you for the Autumn/winter spins.

billyhead wrote: »
    Where and what time is the meeting point on Saturdays? Might join you for the Autumn/winter spins.

At present its 8.30 outside the school in Balrothery and as the mornings get darker it will turn to 9am and probably move to the front of The Balrothery inn /costcutter

• Advertisement

What is the exact time that one spends at the head of the echelon and how many turns can I skip?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What is the exact time that one spends at the head of the echelon and how many turns can I skip?

Bcmf has managed one full turn this year so that seems to be the accepted minimum ...

Ya b**lix.
    Now get off the internety and check your txt messages

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,519 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

check your txt messages
    Are you revolting?

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you revolting?

Jaysus may not be the best looking lad in the world but certainly not the worst by a long shot!

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you revolting?

He's setting up velo club de balrothery due to a dispute over the jersey design ;)

Actually delighted with response so far and esp the support from other clubs. Makes you proud to be a part if this great sport .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,519 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He's setting up velo club de balrothery due to a dispute over the jersey design
    Always expected a large dose of red, but was slightly surprised the black made the cut

He's setting up velo club de balrothery due to a dispute over the jersey design ;)

The thoughts of seeing skinsuits in winter is really making me think twice about this.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Actually delighted with response so far and esp the support from other clubs. Makes you proud to be a part if this great sport .

What's the deal with Balbriggan Cycling Club?

El Kabong! wrote: »

It's in Balbriggan, a large town 3kms north of Balrothery, a village home to Velo Club Balrothery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Best of luck with this guys, I was keeping an eye on the thread for a while and would love to join but work has now dragged me full time down to Ennis . Might catch up and join in some weekend :):)

splitters

Hope you all had a good time. I couldn't make it at the last minute... saw some guy in black and white gear heading down and waited to see if you all passed on the way to Ardgillan but you must have chosen a different route.

Will hopefully be able to meet up next week.

Was it a natural birth or a c section?

• Advertisement

Hope you all had a good time. I couldn't make it at the last minute... saw some guy in black and white gear heading down and waited to see if you all passed on the way to Ardgillan but you must have chosen a different route.

Will hopefully be able to meet up next week.

Nope.The guy in the black and white gear was possibly me or another lad.I was up early so went ahead but when I got to Ardgillan my tyre ripped so had to go back down and put a new one on.
    The club kit isnt ready yet so dont be looking for it.....

Was it a natural birth or a c section?

IVF

wont make this spin tomorrow. enjoy.

Club spins up and running

Sat 08:30 from the National school in Balrothery, head to Blackhills to meet the Skerries crew then roughly follow the route set by Pat Halligan of Obilesk CC. Roughly 86 k average about 28-29kph

At 11:00m sat there is a coached spin for beginners (mainly aimed at Ladies) of 20-30k at a pace where no one gets left behind. We'll run this for Oct and Nov.

Sun meet 09:30 at Balrothery national school and this route varies a bit. at present tend to head to Kentstown and back over to Garristown with coffee in Naul. Pace about 28kph

Awaiting CI registration to be finalised.

Club gear is ordered and due in 5 weeks.

Leisure polo shirts ordered and arrival imminent.

Exciting times in a great part of NCD.

We hope to have a touring spin of 50-60k at 24-25kph going in the near future.

A lot of work going on behind the scenes and its great to see local people put in such efforts.

Non club members welcome on the spins although CI/IVCA or Tri ireland licences will be mandatory in the near future for insurance purposes.

Grudging congrats to bcmf for taking the inaugural VCB sat am sprint (a certain Fowl of the Rob variety was robbed.....)

I would be interested in the touring spins. Thanks!

I would be interested in the touring spins. Thanks!

We'll try to get them started soon. How proficient are you in cycling? What sort of distances can you ride and are you local?

Grudging congrats to bcmf for taking the inaugural VCB sat am sprint (a certain Fowl of the Rob variety was too busy sitting up and looking over his right shoulder like the amateur he is while I sneaked up the left..)

Yeah Staro was right when he said you telegraphed your intentions.

We'll try to get them started soon. How proficient are you in cycling? What sort of distances can you ride and are you local?

I'm very very local.

I have just started cycling again having had no exercise for ~20 years!

During the summer I climbed Alpe d'Huez without stopping on my first attemp... and another Alpe too.. but...

I have only done a handful of 60k+ rides, with a pal, and was tired after them and would average 23-25kph.

I find that if I just go out and about that is the speed I average.

I can plod away on hills but long distances tire me.

I would prefer to join a touring group to get my general fitness level up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Non club members welcome on the spins although CI/IVCA or Tri ireland licences will be mandatory in the near future for insurance purposes.

Do Tri Ireland licences cover club spins for the year? Or just introductory spins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Yeah Staro was right when he said you telegraphed your intentions.

If I had of known it was the first official spin.......:(

It was only official cause you weren't there

Oh I am not responsible for this one :p

But you are for this Beauty :)

10721239_950363088313802_306539011_n.jpg?oh=67ce66cada384bf863a0f99da36a6439&oe=544902B2&__gda__=1414134094_ac725d9af21dbe33eb35d689e9222994

From our Facebook page:
    "Quick update to let you all know we are now registered as a fully active club under the auspices of Cycling Ireland. We will be having a launch night in the near future and the spins at 08:30 on Saturday and 09:30 on Sunday will continue all year round"

Many thanks to Rob Fowl and the others who put in a big effort to get this done!

My new club. I decided that the time was right for a change so I have now joined these nice people. I look forward to my promised protected rider status and hope to be able to live up to it after the winter training in the open races!

Disclaimer: I don't have protected rider status!

Disclaimer: I don't have protected rider status!

we know. you never did.
    When we you grace us with your presence.
    The beginners spin meets at 11 on Sat from the Cricket Club!

• Advertisement

we know. you never did.
    When we you grace us with your presence.
    The beginners spin meets at 11 on Sat from the Cricket Club!

When we you learn to spell gooder.

Our first set of club gear is being shipped on friday.
    Expect many pics and one of a fat lad in a skin suit (and a faster/skinny one too ....).

Many thanks to sponsors and members to date for the support.

Also special mention to John Dempsey and verge www.luccasports.com for their patience and help do far. We've had access to samples and the quality looks superb.

Who is the faster skinny lad?

Who is the faster skinny lad?

Bcmf

Bcmf

EH!!!!!!! Did you fall off and bang your head at the mud wrestling on Sun?!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement