Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been stood up?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

Sitting here in a packed restaurant in central London drinking wine and waiting for my very very late boyfriend to show up.

And I can't help but think, bet these lads at the next table think I'm on some first date but my date hasn't showed. Wondering if the waiting staff are placing bets on how long it will take him to show / them to leave..

So AH, entertain me. Ever been stood up? Or did the standing up? Feck it, lets make it general - most appalling/mortifying dating experience youve had?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

Never stood up. Had a few turn on their heels and walk away when they first saw me though. :(

Men can be cruel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

beks101 wrote: »
    Sitting here in a packed restaurant in central London drinking wine and waiting for my very very late boyfriend to show up.

And I can't help but think, bet these lads at the next table think I'm on some first date but my date hasn't showed. Wondering if the waiting staff are placing bets on how long it will take him to show / them to leave..

So AH, entertain me. Ever been stood up? Or did the standing up? Feck it, lets make it general - most appalling/mortifying dating experience youve had?

Smug post is subtle but still smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Augmerson wrote: »

He chose her, Augmerson, you have to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I was stood up once. I was going to go on a blind date with a guy after being set up by my girl friend at the time. They were supposed to pick me up at 7 pm and never showed until 11 pm. I never even bothered to open my front door of my apartment when my gf knocked. Switched off the tv, lights and went to bed.

Macavity. wrote: »
    He chose her, Augmerson, you have to move on.

I can see I've been laboring under a misapprehension.

• Advertisement

I can see I've been laboring under a misapprehension.

Darcy? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Was out on a date once when her mother showed up.

Ewe should have seen her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I stood up a girl once. In the time before mobile phones I met my girlfriend at a bar. I went inside to wait, she thought we were waiting outside. She waited outside for 40 minutes for me. I was on my second pint when she came inside. My god she was pissed with me.

Darcy? :eek:

I like you Lizzie Jones. Very much.

Just as you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Never, thank god. The trick is to never show up in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I stood up a few guys in my younger more obnoxious days. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I prefer a good lie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I didn't pick it up as smug.

I just picked up late and thought "Oh Fcuk she's genna kill him"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

I'd a date cancel 2 hours ahead of time, hurt pretty bad, as pathetic as it is - she's been sniffing around again and I can't wait to tell her fluck off if she hints at a date

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Once, and it was the straw that broke the camels back, dumped her immediately afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ever been stood up? Or did the standing up?

I stood up once. In fact I stand up quite often. In fact I stood up a couple of minutes ago.

I didn't pick it up as smug.

It was just a joke, maybe a bad joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah, but it was back in the day before mobiles and Facebook etc. She took violently I'll and couldn't show up, and had no way of contacting me before I set off.

In those days, a phone call once a week was the norm, sometimes to the neighnours phone as not every family had a phone.

Wearing an onion on your belt was fashionable at the time if I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

thelad95 wrote: »
    I stood up once. In fact I stand up quite often. In fact I stood up a couple of minutes ago.

Lucky girl. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Me? wrote: »
    Never stood up. Had a few turn on their heels and walk away when they first saw me though. :(

Men can be cruel.

Aw , the fcukers.We're not all bad though.

My ex wife stood me up once , thats not why she's my ex.

She wanted me to meet some of her friends and be polite and not drink much , not a chance says I .Most of what happened is a blur , but I crashed through the front door about 4am smashing into a stupid little poxy table with a phone and potted plant on it.

We're still friends .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I was stood up once. I was going to go on a blind date with a guy after being set up by my girl friend at the time. They were supposed to pick me up at 7 pm and never showed until 11 pm. I never even bothered to open my front door of my apartment when my gf knocked. Switched off the tv, lights and went to bed.

I like that. 4 hrs late? 'Scuse me while I go wash my hair. Feel free to wait outside until i'm done. I might be a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I deliberately missed a call earlier and then put the phone on silent for the night. I'll just say I had it on airplane mode while it was charging. not so much standing someone up, just avoiding having to ever leave my cocoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Aw , the fcukers.We're not all bad though.

My ex wife stood me up once , thats not why she's my ex.

She wanted me to meet some of her friends and be polite and not drink much , not a chance says I .Most of what happened is a blur , but I crashed through the front door about 4am smashing into a stupid little poxy table with a phone and potted plant on it.

We're still friends .

No wonder she's your ex.

Oink wrote: »
    I like that. 4 hrs late? 'Scuse me while I go wash my hair. Feel free to wait outside until i'm done. I might be a couple of days.

I got her back a few days later. One of our mutual friends and I and she headed to downtown Toronto one fine warm summer evening. It was the thing to do in Toronto in the late 70s ...walk up and down Yonge street and see what sort of mischief we could get into.
    Anyway, long story short when she was using the washrooms Paul (the mutual friend) and I took off on her. She was so pissed off at us the next day. :D

We did the same thing to her the next weekend too (after several minutes of reassuring her that we wouldn't). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well, OP, if you're still sat in the restaurant - he's two hours late. But never mind because you're twisted drunk by now and cursing the day men were invented.
    By the way, are you interested in dinner tomorrow night ? You're paying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got stood up this morning. It wasn't for a date, it was for a meeting. My contact never turned up and his phone was turned off. If it was a date, I'd have taken the hint. Seeing as it was a business meeting, though, I'm a little more concerned about what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I met my current bf on a night out. Anyway he added me on fb and asked me did I want to go to lunch. We were both broke students so it would only be the student canteen. He decided to give blood the same day. I met him while he was waiting to give blood and ended up waiting for a half an hour. Eventually I had to leave and get my lunch myself because I had to go back to lectures.

That's the only time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have a habit of standing people up. I'd die if it happened to me. I don't do it to hurt people, I just over think and panic and work myself into such a state it seems easier not to show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Faith wrote: »
    I got stood up this morning. It wasn't for a date, it was for a meeting. My contact never turned up and his phone was turned off. If it was a date, I'd have taken the hint. Seeing as it was a business meeting, though, I'm a little more concerned about what happened.

Felt bad after reading that. I just sent a text to apologise for missing calls. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I have a habit of standing people up. I'd die if it happened to me. I don't do it to hurt people, I just over think and panic and work myself into such a state it seems easier not to show up.

Dates or just people in general?

Advertisement