Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello burner problem

Options
  • 21-01-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Riello 40 burner problem this evening! Motor and fan running fine solenoid clicks on and burner runs fine for a minute then stops for a second then starts and so on! Ruled out control box and photocell! Am I looking at a problem in fuel pump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

what pressure are you getting at fuel pump

how did you check control box and photocell

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

jimf wrote: »
    what pressure are you getting at fuel pump

how did you check control box and photocell

I'm gettin 8 bar at fuel pump. Checked wit a new control box and photocell and problem is persisting

I'm gettin 8 bar at fuel pump. Checked wit a new control box and photocell and problem is persisting

did you check the nozzle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Id agree with jim,It could be a partially blocked nozzle.It seems like the fan could be blowing out the flame.You could lower the air on the air box and see does it run better.It would have to be set up with a flue gas analyser to get it right.You should fit a new nozzle if you dont have a new one fitted

did you check the nozzle

Brand new nozzle! Burner hasn't burnt a tank of oil in 3 years and hasn't been serviced since installed 9 years ago! Problem could be happening for a while as there an old couple and probably never noticed. Can't seperate solenoid from needle valve as nut is seized on top and needle valve and nut are spinning together! Had neither a solenoid or pump for old riello in van to try

• Advertisement

what kind of boiler is this burner fitted to any chance you have a flugas recycling issue going on

have you checked filters at tank and pump

how about condition oil did you check for water contamination

Brand new nozzle! Burner hasn't burnt a tank of oil in 3 years and hasn't been serviced since installed 9 years ago! Problem could be happening for a while as there an old couple and probably never noticed. Can't seperate solenoid from needle valve as nut is seized on top and needle valve and nut are spinning together! Had neither a solenoid or pump for old riello in van to try
    It either a lack of fuel or over aired.It best sort out the the needle valve and see is it opening fully.wd 40 would help you free the nut

Thanks lads. Calling back tomorro wit a pump so I'll drop the air on it first to see if it solves de problem.

also make sure you no obstruction in the flue or flueways through the boiler if it hasn't been serviced in 9 years jaysus you could find anything in there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

+1 on recycling, is it an outdoor module, what boiler?
    Is there any fluctuation on the oil pressure leading up to the lockout (could be blocked filter or fire valve so starvation of fuel)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

For a fuel supply issue, check the fuel pump with a vacuum gauge. If it starts pulling negative pressure, it's a supply issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

I was at a boiler before christmas that in their words "untill now never gave any trouble" my translation "was never serviced"
    Similar symptoms to op, but the cause was the boiler being blocked solid with soot and crap from years of decreasing combustion efficiency.

You should be able to hear the pump under duress easy enough if a supply issue and see it on the pressure gauge, can't even remember last time I had to pull out the vacuum gauge

also make sure you no obstruction in the flue or flueways through the boiler if it hasn't been serviced in 9 years jaysus you could find anything in there
    +1

TPM wrote: »
    I was at a boiler before christmas that in their words "untill now never gave any trouble" my translation "was never serviced"
    Similar symptoms to op, but the cause was the boiler being blocked solid with soot and crap from years of decreasing combustion efficiency.

they can take some abuse in fairness

DGOBS wrote: »
    You should be able to hear the pump under duress easy enough if a supply issue and see it on the pressure gauge, can't even remember last time I had to pull out the vacuum gauge

Just a simple tool to 100% confirm a supply issue over a pump issue. I generally find fuel pump flicker issues can be from both supply & pump issues, so the vacuum just nails it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

they can take some abuse in fairness

thats the biggest problem with them, they just keep going so people forget about them and tent to assume they dont need servicing, I generally ask them would you expect your car to go for "5" years with out servicing of maintenance, Usually gets a nice facial expression

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I would be inclined to go down the route of an air problem also. Either on output side or intake.

What was the make of the Boiler? Did you strip all the baffles out and check the flue-ways?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Disconnected flexi hose at pump first before I put a new hose on as Old one on since installation plus thought it was being starved of oil but deres a good flow. Gonna lower de air first and see if it solves de problem and take it from there.

Wearb wrote: »
    I would be inclined to go down the route of an air problem also. Either on output side or intake.

What was the make of the Boiler? Did you strip all the baffles out and check the flue-ways?

It's a firebird 70/90 heatpac model baffles combustion chamber and flue all cleaned and checked

• Advertisement

It's a firebird 70/90 heatpac model baffles combustion chamber and flue all cleaned and checked

is your issue happening with the door on and off

Disconnected flexi hose at pump first before I put a new hose on as Old one on since installation plus thought it was being starved of oil but deres a good flow. Gonna lower de air first and see if it solves de problem and take it from there.
    If it's an air issue (combustion issue), it would show on your FGA. If it's a re-circulation issue, this would show only when door is on or the FGA would also assist inside the casing. If the door is off & the issue still arises, it is unlikely to be a re-circulation issue.

Door is off when problem is occurring! Didn't put the analyser on it but will put it on it tomorro.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Did you check the tank for water or/and dirt? Was the pump filter clean? Nothing floating around the air-box? Otherwise you are left with the few things that you haven't managed to replace.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

had 1 like this last year fuel pump was slipping

but was showing on p gauge as fluctuating pressure but was engaging again so not going to lockout

Air box and filters clean! Pump isn't fluctuating! Staying at a constant 8 bar!

Check for a flue gas leak either between the burner and mounting flange, or the door gasket directly above the the burner, if a bad on can recycle even with cabinet door off

Set your o2 to 5.5% make sure it isn't over aired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Air box and filters clean! Pump isn't fluctuating! Staying at a constant 8 bar!

Bad nozzle or crack across control box where electrodes connect = no spark at nozzle ?

EDIT . Sorry I forgot you already tried a different box.

did you get this sorted today

• Advertisement

did you get this sorted today

Got sorted after thanks! Overaired! Simple fix! Cheers for de help!

Advertisement