Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

15 yr old Lad gets 25 to life!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

wazky wrote: »
    Would never work here, ringing Mick up in the barracks to drive down in his Mondeo to your mates house to raid him, doesn't have the same effect.

Was thinking that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Interesting how many of the comments agree with the article. Not satire but might make some of these people think.

Isn't the problem here that a guy died because of misinformation.. Not where it came from..

Isn't the problem here that a guy died because of misinformation.. Not where it came from..

If I make a false emergency call, I'd expect to be in trouble. If the responding Garda car ploughs into a bus queue and kills 3 people I'd expect to be in a lot more trouble - but not 25 to life :(

I have strong reservations about all of these terrorism laws that were all rushed in on the back of 9/11. But what do I know :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

a bit extreme is it not???

are they really going to lock him up for 25 year or was jus to frighten the ****e outta himn and just let him out on appeal

It was becoming a bit of a craze.

They need to stamp it out and this poor fcuker happens to be the example.

Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

It's missing a list of 'safe' pranks approved by some authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Oink wrote: »
    Thats not satire. Theres nothing funny or unbelievable about it. This article serves no purpose that I can see.
    Swatting happens, death by cop happens, and ridiculously overblown sentences happen. Havent bothered reading the site, dont think I will.

Edit: its just like writing about a fake car accident. Whats the point?

Satire doesn't have to be funny. It's used as a tool of ridicule. Humour is not necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

evo2000 wrote: »
    http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/comment-page-1/#comment-485557

Craziness! lad called a swat team to a rival gamers house after losing in bf4 lol

That website is a nightmare to read on a tablet. Keeps jumping from the article to the comments.

Saipanne wrote: »
    That website is a nightmare to read on a tablet. Keeps jumping from the article to the comments.

Same on a desktop ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well in current trends, given the states militarisation of police forces, I suppose he (the lad) was lucky they did not just launch a drone strike against the victim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It is a satirical site.

Wait so this never happened? :confused: but swatting does happen??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

That's the same website that said George RR Martin was rushed to hospital after GoT didnt win an emmy and loads of people believed that one too.

Maybe its just something got lost in translation but I dont think this latest article was satirical at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I have read three articles just there, "Paul Horner" shows up in each, that's kinda funny.

But yeah, not much humour in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

He's not the class swot now anyway.

But he is reeeeeaally popular now.

Soreassmom69

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

He's not the class swot now anyway.

But he is reeeeeaally popular now.

Soreassmom69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Just moments ago I told someone I read this mad story about America in the guardian or BBC or somewhere... damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I could well believe that's true, I thought they'd managed to catch someone. I'm sure the American police forces are desperately looking for one of the swatters, I think they passed a law that makes the swatter liable for the costs of any raids they call in.

Whoever they catch will be made an example of.

The only thing I can say about the militarised American police is that at least they're trained properly now. Considering the phone calls they get it's a credit to them they haven't actually shot someone by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I love satire but that is a very poor example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

a bit extreme is it not???

are they really going to lock him up for 25 year or was jus to frighten the ****e outta himn and just let him out on appeal
    That's what I thought until I learned the other gamer's father was critically injured during the raid.

With that in mind I think the judgement was fair.

Edit: lol just found out it was a joke site, I'll admit I fell for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

He should look to transfer to mountjoy..dont they all have playstations there now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Specialun wrote: »
    He should look to transfer to mountjoy..dont they all have playstations there now

Think they were being bold so they took the ps4s off em they only have the xbox one left...tough life!

Advertisement