Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Hmm still have a load of V38 left so i might have to do a comparison. I thought it would be better to stick to the same manufacturer. Did notice it was a bit dustier though.

I was thinking about using Menzernas Powerlock sealant and topped with their Colorlock liquid carnauba wax or would you guys recommend something else?

(note to self: stay the **** away from E60's)

Curran wrote: »
    Cant imagine it pays well at all, at a per hour rate, ideal for a summer temporary job, not for a living - stick to what you are good at! ;)

Well I was in with them this morning. Have to say, the chap I was talking to was a gentleman and really easy to get on with.

They were asking what kind of money I'd like to be coming out with, to make the job a feasible one. I gave a price, but they said that would be an issue, as they'd really only be looking at about €300 take home per week (I was asking for higher).

At €300 per week, it's not really feasible, though. I said it'd be grand if it was just 3 days a week, with longer hours (rather than the same hours over 5 days) as it'd mean I could take on other work at the days I'm off, etc. but he didn't really seem too keen on the idea.

Truth be told, my Mondays-Wednesdays are rarely very busy. If I could have wrangled him into taking me on for three days a week (mon-wed), doing three 12 hour shifts, it'd have been well worth going for (even at minimum wage).

But I realise that's not practical for a dealership's business model.

I might actually get in touch with a few of the dealers in the town and see if I can manage to pull that off (part time valeting work). Not sure if they'd laugh me off the phone or not though.

For some reason I had it in my head that a business would be better off having multiple part time workers, rather than fewer full time workers. But I could well be wrong there, of course (ie; take me on for 2 days, and take Vectra on for the other 3, for example...).

(just used your name there randomly Vectra.. :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Been a while since i was in here! So anyway, I've been asked to display my car in the Kilkenny classic car show on Sunday (even though its not a classic) so I said why not, not knowing when it was going to rain again, so I worked as fast as i could, which wasn't very fast, god I need a rotary doowhacky I only got one picture as i just wanted to get it done, but to give you an idea of how bad it was, the alloys were literally black with brake dust, I don't do this as much as I used to due to other projects, but I done what I could!
    So what was done

2bm
    Dried
    Detarred
    Clayed
    Washed
    Dried
    Polished
    Waxed
    Washed
    Dried

Tomorrow I'm going at the engine, exhaust and interior, also I'm thinking of doing a bit of paint correcting, buuuut again, need a da thing

Anyways the one and only picture which was stuck in the picture thread :o

2zi4xuq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Believe it or not, a Valet will probably make more money than a detailer - line them up and knock them down!

But dont be fooled; its not exaclty easy work - its physical! But if you can get a decent client base, then you'd get by working as one!
    The struggle is often where to drawn the line; you want to do a good job so customers return, but charge a reasonable price to cover your product cost and time. People often forget product cost and assume money is for time working on the car only. Standard of work has to be reasonable, but for me perosnally, Id never be happy doing a half arsed job and doing a job that would pay 20 mins work, would run into 30 or more and then there's no money in it!

Having spent a full day doing the mothers merc (what a massive pain that was) I'd agree. It was washed in 10 mins and once dried looked decent.
    it's was the next 8 hours that I spent on it to get it towards 100% (it'd be rare that 100% would be achievable) that I realised how tough detailers have it.

Must be terribly tricky to convince the general public that they need to spend a 3 figure sum to get their car looking brilliant when a 20 euro wash will make it look decent from not too far away. They'll automatically think you're a rip off merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Must be terribly tricky to convince the general public that they need to spend a 3 figure sum to get their car looking brilliant when a 20 euro wash will make it look decent from not too far away. They'll automatically think you're a rip off merchant.

Any chance you might tell this to the general public on behalf of us? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Want to wash the car today and its misty out, havent given it a wash in a few weeks and someone even commented to me that my car is dirty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Any chance you might tell this to the general public on behalf of us? :P

Well most don't get why I clean my car every week, could you imagine if I started talking to them about what's involved in properly polishing a car...

thoughts on rubbing a compound mixture into paint to get rid of scratches?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

What exactly do you mean McLove?

The father got a new (used) car and there are scratches on it and he used some compound on it to remove the scratches. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it being a bad idea?

• Advertisement

Its not a terrible idea, but its very old school. Rubbing compounding may leave its own dull appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Yesterday myself and the father tackled his car. The day started off grand and fine but by lunchlime this had to be done to keep the mist & rain at bay.

20140831_150303.jpg

The results are acceptable I guess.....

20140831_153148.jpg

20140831_162246.jpg

20140831_153231.jpg

20140831_153246.jpg

Ya, the last one is the roof.....

That's with no glass or interior done. That's being done today.

Grat work Ian. ...looks very acceptable to me!

Glass, interior and some tyre dressing and the jobs a good one! ;)

What machine and pad / polish combo did you go for to get correction?

Grat work Ian. ...looks very acceptable to me!

Glass, interior and some tyre dressing and the jobs a good one! ;)

What machine and pad / polish combo did you go for to get correction?

Don't laugh when I tell you it was Autoglym products, elbow grease and buffed with a cheapo Lidl polisher with lambswool mitt!

The car was washed (2 bucket), clayed, polished, buffed and sealed with Autoglym paint protector.

Edit Autoglym paint renovator was used on some small scratches and did a good job on getting rid of them on the bumper. Bloody parking dings from other idiots!

Good work!! It came out very well....get a few pictures up of the finished job! ;)

Pics of the finished job is going to be difficult. Da fecked off into town for the day shopping instead of doing the glass and interior.....

I actually feel self-conscious getting out of it :o

1B0C9140F6A44C1091628CF69275B9E1-0000333410-0003656131-01024L-D387004EDECE474C9BC0C66CFA9BC065.jpg

80CA9D2B32C04E81833E6C9A4E188253-0000333410-0003656130-01024L-C97CC88D598945DC921D470C91807BDC.jpg

337926067AC447A78029E35CDF900D02-0000333410-0003656129-01024L-34383A32550141E6AF7E09DDC3427F27.jpg

F4DA2234641E4C48AAFAABD8DEB170FC-0000333410-0003656128-01024L-CE2DFDF89BB84EAAAE38F7C39D084B09.jpg

37D240860C3E411A89F50816E67E1761-0000333410-0003656127-01024L-9A486E868E7C4E5E9C4EBDBB24ADFA10.jpg

I have a little weekend break coming up, where I'll be heading to Mayo and back, so I'm hoping to get it cleaned up properly before then. It's not exactly 'clean' on the inside, either. :o

This isnt the "Today I couldnt be ar$ed doing some Detailing" thread!! :P

Pressure is on now, to produce some fine after pictures! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I think you confused the title of this thread. Its 'Today I DID SOME detailing' :D

HA HA, 2 hours later for the smart comment and you were a touch too slow!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Best tyre dressing lads? Been using autoglym up to now, but as soon as you go through a puddle of any description, it comes off. It's gone within a couple of days even if there's no rain. Wolfs blackout was suggested here before I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

50 Cal Cammo, Meguiars Endurance Gel

Yeah, all mentioned are good, though I find Meg's can sling quite a bit. Orchard Autocare Glitz is another option.

If you like the very glossy/shiny look, then Megs is probably for you! Though, two coats of the others would bring out a bit of shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I find chemical guys new trim/tyre gel to be quite good for both black plastics and tyres. Bottle is also lasting ages compared to a spray

Anything that you apply with an applicator verus a spray will always last longer...and obviously not get all over you wheels. Over spray can make the alloys greasy and attract dirt too....but sprays are quick and handy!

Have to say I've used OAC's Glitz and was never overly impressed with it. I do really like Autoglym's instant tyre shine, but it certainly isn't instant, and it does wear off after a few days.

I have some Meguiar's Endurance lying around somewhere, but have yet to use it. I tend to keep re-buying AG's Instant tyre shine :o But I do like it's ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I really like the Megs stuff. The key is to scrub all the old dressing off the tyre well with APC before putting more on. Make sure the tyre is fully dry and put on as little as you can. If I do this I don't find it slings much if at all :)

Certain products agree with people and wont with others, as everyone has different preferences of how products work - so what is good for you, might not be good for another!

I like a trye dressing that I can dab / paint on with a paint brush - its accurate with application and can get into the groves of the side walls easliy....use the same brush every time, so product isnt wasted in the applicator (as foam ones fall apart after a while), after application, I usually give the tyre a light wipe down with an old MF to take the really shiny look off it, and leave a nice deep matt appearance.

But then there are times when its handy just to be able to give a few quick squirts and walk away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It's all about tyres so shiny that you could be blinded by them on a sunny day :P

You're absolutely right, everyone has different tastes and preferences. The one thing I really hate is this stuff a friend of mine uses that is actually black. If you inadvertently rub off his tyres it makes your clothes all black :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Armor All or similar?

Advertisement