Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

• 23-04-2009 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

NRA have this morning advertised for engineering consultancy to design medium to long term solution to the junction!

:):):)

Post edited by marno21 on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Excellent news indeed... expect it in around 10 years. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Why did it take them so long to seek designers? I mean in fairness...it's only one of the most congested interchanges in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

they are obviously afraid it will become 'Red Cow II'

you know how they are in Cork...if Dublin has one then they must have a bigger, better, more complicated, more congested......:D:D:D:D

sorry corkonians...cheap shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Thank god.

Fully freeflow please. (And it is possible. People here have drawn up solutions)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Are they going to work on the three awful roundabouts on the Cork SRR at the same time?

Bandon / Sarsfield roundabouts (and especially that they are light controlled with Garda backups at rush hours) are a joke on a major urban ring-road.

All I see is that they are currently awaiting financing (http://www.corkrdo.ie/n25_sarsfield_road_bandon_road_interchanges_current_stage.php), but I'm sure I remember them being put on the long finger for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I think the flyovers have been put on ice, The Interurbans got all the cash:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Free flow is the only way to go. Eventually the Tunnel and the N8 will be all the ring road, so if say the N25S was kept at the same level as the tunnell exit you MIGHT be able to get it under the roundabout and through to the N8N. Its all about structures and supports I suppose.

Good thread with designs by Victor.

Fully grade separated ftw. Imagine eventually getting on the ring road at Ballincollig and not having to stop 'til in Dublin!

BTW: was thinking of writing a letter to the relevant TD's and councilors outlining the importance of the road over the PnR, which can be moved to a different spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

turgon wrote: »
    Fully grade separated ftw. Imagine eventually getting on the ring road at Ballincollig and not having to stop 'til in Dublin!

Apart from the 2 tolls.

It would be pretty sweet if they could make it fully free-flow, and it is possible, but not without a huge price tag.
    It will have to be done eventually though, considering the growing population of Cork and the increases in car ownership. The pressure on the junction will also be increased when the Dublin and Waterford roads have finished upgrading. Dublin-Cork will be a 2 hour journey - except if Dunkettle is congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/news_detail.asp?nid=4828

A roundabout on the outskirts of Cork city is to be replaced with a dual carriageway in a bid to allow traffic move more freely, according to the local authority.

As well as the dual carriageway, a slip road will also be constructed and this will allow Dublin bound traffic to move through the junction at the Jack Lynch tunnel interchange with greater ease.

The roundabout at Dunkettle has become a scourge to motorists and hauliers in recent times and County engineer Noel O’Keefe revealed that the roundabout had to be changed.

"We are going to replace the roundabout with dual carriageway and put traffic lights on it so motorists can access and leave Glanmire.:eek::eek::eek:

Currently the existing traffic flows there are huge at peak periods. We have huge queues coming into it from the city and east Cork," Mr O’Keeffe said.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/snqleyauoj/rss2/

PLANS have been drawn up to replace the Dunkettle roundabout with signalised dual carriageway and create a new slip road which will allow Dublin-bound traffic to avoid the congested junction at the Jack Lynch Tunnel interchange.

Members of Cork County Council voted yesterday to proceed with the €10 million plan.

County engineer Noel O’Keeffe said it was necessary to replace the Dunkettle roundabout because traffic was backing up at it during peak times, to such an extent that it would soon come to a standstill.

"We are going to replace the roundabout with dual carriageway and put traffic lights on it so motorists can access and leave Glanmire. Currently the existing traffic flows there are huge at peak periods. We have huge queues coming into it from the city and east Cork," Mr O’Keeffe said.

His department took into account predicted traffic flows for 2018 and decided that it had no choice but to remove the roundabout.

"It will dramatically improve the situation there," the county engineer said.

In tandem with that the local authority have also drawn up plans to create a slip road from Dunkettle off to the M8 (Cork-Dublin road).

By doing this traffic can avoid another bottleneck at the signalised roundabout adjacent to the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

Many of those in the queue are heading north and avoiding that junction will ease gridlock considerably.
    Mr O’Keeffe said the slip road will run to the north of the Cork-Midleton railway line and close to the southern entrance to Dunkettle House.

The county engineer said that road improvements are planned for the back road into Glanmire, from the near the former Ibis Hotel towards the AIB bank.

Mr O’Keeffe said the planned project will be part funded by O’Flynn Construction.

That company’s plans to build more than 1,000 homes at Dunkettle and Ballinglanna were knocked on the head because the road infrastructure serving the proposed sites was inadequate for the volume of traffic which it would generate.

An Bord Pleanála is to conduct an oral hearing into the O’Flynn Construction plans on September 8.

The county engineer said that Compulsory Purchase Orders would have to made in order to provide for road widening in that area.

The overall plan for the new dual carriageway, slip road and upgrading of the back road into Glanmire have gone to the detailed design stage.

It is expected they will go to tender within the next six months.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/snqleyauoj/rss2/#ixzz0MYaQ2ITQ

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

WTF? :eek:

What's wrong with the Dunkettle roundabout? there's never any problems there. It's the Dunkettle interchange that is the big problem. This is going to make the situation there worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah this appears to be the Glanmire roundabout, not the Dunkettle interchange. Confusing article, but it seems like they're going to lob a slip in to let traffic go from Cork to Dublin without hitting Dunkettle.

Jamups are pretty bad at the Glanmire roundabout, getting rid of it westbound will make no difference as it'll just jam at Tivoli, but alleviating the jam eastbound in the evenings should help a bit.

I don't know Chris. They said "remove the Dunkettle roundabout" a few times. That means only one thing to me. In addition, as you said the Glanmire roundabout looks destined for a nice new slip road. I'll reserve judgement until I see the specs, but any movement with regard to Dunkettle is positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Furet wrote: »
    I don't know Chris. They said "remove the Dunkettle roundabout" a few times. That means only one thing to me. In addition, as you said the Glanmire roundabout looks destined for a nice new slip road. I'll reserve judgement until I see the specs, but any movement with regard to Dunkettle is positive.

Looks like they are getting rid of the roundabout completely and replacing it with a signalised T junction with several other sliproads.

Yeah I think they're referring to the Glanmire roundabout when they say "dunkettle roundabout". What we refer to as the Dunkettle Interchange they seem to be calling "Jack Lynch Tunnel interchange". After I eat Scampi & Chips I'll draw up a map of what I think they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Is it this?

http://www.irelandaerialphotography.com/aerial_photos/dr_f2_8237_dunkettle_cork.html

i was hoping it was the Dunkettle interchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

FIRE wrote: »
    Is it this?

http://www.irelandaerialphotography.com/aerial_photos/dr_f2_8237_dunkettle_cork.html

i was hoping it was the Dunkettle interchange.

That's the one: it's usually called the Glanmire roundabout.

That isn't really congested at all. The problem is what's coming out of the tunnel. Tinkering with the little roundabout won't alleviate the interchange to that great an extent, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Hmmm... doesn't seem like much of a solution. Might help a little bit in the short-term but does not even come close to addressing the long term problem of the dunkettle interchange.

This bit is intriguing though:
    In tandem with that the local authority have also drawn up plans to create a slip road from Dunkettle off to the M8 (Cork-Dublin road).

I presume that's going to be a free-flow left-turning slip allowing N8 traffic from Cork to access the M8 northbound while avoiding the roundabout. That seems sensible, and shouldn't interfere with an overall plan to upgrade the junction.

Great to see the planners keeping on top of the cities gridlock problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Guys whats really stupid here is,

Not only are they avoiding the real problem by fixing some minor junction, by fixing this minor junction puts more pressure on the very junction that has the most gridlocked traffic on it.

I really really can't understand how the Irish come up with these ways of doing things.

I really just don't get it.

The metaphor I will use here is the same as.
    The tea bag are gone off. How do I make a better cup of tea, still use the ****ty teabags and just get better quality milk.

Still doesn't fix the problem of the tea tasting sh!te does it.? Same applies for what they are doing to Dunkettle.

• Advertisement

Great to see the planners keeping on top of the cities gridlock problems.

Invincible can I be hoping your being sarcastic here?:D

Pulease.

This is how I see it. Yes it will help with traffic leaving Cork in the evenings travelling towards the N25 east. You get a good jamup from the west to the Glanmire Roundabout every evening. Wont help with Dunkettle a bit though, but then Dunkettle will cost a fortune to upgrade so who knows if/when an upgrade will happen.

glanmire2.jpg

The M8 slip will help though and will have to be under motorway regulations too as its inescapable. I wonder if that even crossed their minds and how bad the signage will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

North Cork wrote: »
    the €10 million plan.

If this is the budget, then I'm afraid it's the roundabout and not the interchange that they'll be attempting to remedy.

BTW, why are they seeking a medium to long term solution? Why not just long term if they think it can be achieved within budget in the first place?

mysterious wrote: »
    Invincible can I be hoping your being sarcastic here?:D

Pulease.

I am but to be fair this project is the best one can hope far now that the public finances are down the toilet. Unlike the M20 or M18 or whatever you can't sell off to a PPP consortium who'll lob a toll on the SRR/Dunkettle to pay for upgrades. All thats left is to leave the Dunkettle upgrade project on the dark murky world of the NRAs to do list (last count on my part something like 70-90 seperate proposals awaiting a political patron).

And of course when its alleged that Senator Dan Boyle torpedoes funding for the SRR flyovers in favour of more buses in Cork, which are then promptly withdrawn, you just have to laugh really.

Using existing roundabout to make freeflow (cheaper and less land take)

newlayout-1.jpg

Free flow layout (desired)

dunkettle2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Following on from the 'PIN notices' advertised back in April for various different design/consultancy services the NRA are now seeking further design/consultancy services for improvements to the above.........

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV134977

Is it to become completely free flowing a la Red Cow or or will it be merely be a tweeking of what is already in-situ?

While I have seen a number of NRA e-tenders contract notices simply seem to die after a while, I'm thankful at least that this issue has been acknowledged by the NRA and action is being taken to plan for its correction.

It's too early to tell what their plans are for the junction. But if they really want to sort out the congestion then they're going to have to prepare for some tough engineering tasks. Left-turning free-flow slips aren't going to solve the problem in this case (they'd help, but wouldn't solve the main traffic issue which is M8-N25 Tunnel traffic).

I think TBH that the main traffic flow is N25West - TunnelSouth and TunnelNorth to N25East :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Following on from the 'PIN notices' advertised back in April for various different design/consultancy services the NRA are now seeking further design/consultancy services for improvements to the above.........

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV134977

Is it to become completely free flowing a la Red Cow or or will it be merely be a tweeking of what is already in-situ?

They are looking for a motorway order according to that so the M8 will be extended?

Doesn't the M8 already extend to the Dunkettle Interchange? SO the motorway order is so they can alter the motorway.

Victor wrote: »
    Doesn't the M8 already extend to the Dunkettle Interchange? SO the motorway order is so they can alter the motorway.

Well technically there's 400m of all-purpose N8 before the interchange.

So they wouldn't need a motorway order unless they had to alter something beyond that 400m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

That's only for the southbound carriageway - there is a merge about 400m before the interchange. The Northbound carriageway is motorway right from the start. If they are putting in a left turning slip at the NW part of the interchange, then it will carry motorway restrictions too.

This escaped my attention last spring:
    Ring road ‘will be M50 bottleneck’ if offices go ahead

CORK’S Southern Ring Road could become a bottleneck like Dublin’s M50 if major development continues along its corridor, the National Roads Authority (NRA) has warned.

In a detailed objection to a €200 million office plan in Mahon, Cork, which has the potential to create almost 1,500 jobs, the NRA said its experience of traffic congestion on the M50 was a key reason in its decision to appeal this project.

The NRA has already objected to residential plans by O’Flynn Construction at Dunkettle, and by McCarthy Developments at Mahon.

There are now fears that the authority is preparing to block future developments along the road pending the completion of the Dunkettle interchange upgrade.

John Cleary Developments (JCD) secured planning permission from Cork City Council last month after city councillors voted unanimously to rezone the site between the Project Management building and the internal Mahon Point Shopping Centre road.

Councillors agreed to address traffic concerns by ring-fencing some of the estimated €3m in development contributions which will be paid by JCD to build an extra lane for traffic going into the site.

But full details of the NRA’s objection to it became available yesterday that show it is objecting on eight key grounds, including:

* The protection of public investment in the N25’s intended transport function.

* An over-reliance on a strategic national road to gain access to the proposed development.

* The limited public transport services to the Mahon area.

* And "overstated" and "inadequate" mitigation measures proposed by the developer.

The authority acknowledged the Mahon area has been designated for development but it said the focus is excessively dependent on the use of private cars, and dependent on the national road network for access.

The NRA said it considers JCD’s proposed development will set an "undesirable precedent for similar types of development adjacent to the national road network".

It said before the M50 upgrade, that road was the most heavily congested national road in the country – caused by its increased usage as a distributor road and significant development pressures on its interchanges.

"The NRA would highlight that the experience of development pressure on the M50 and its associated interchanges was a key reason in the decision to lodge this appeal so as to avoid similar development practices emerging along the N25," its objection states.

It said the N25 is an expensive strategic national road which should not, because of inappropriate development along its corridor, become a distributor road.

It is the NRA’s view that the benefits of publicly funded investment in the road are not eroded by inappropriate development.

The NRA also said Mr Cleary’s project has the potential to adversely affect the capacity, efficiency and safety of the N25, the Jack Lynch Tunnel and the Dunkettle interchange.

The NRA said it was not notified by Cork City Council about JCD’s planning application either during the planning process, or during the public consultation phase which led up to the rezoning vote.

"This action has deprived the authority of its entitlement to participate in the planning process as intended by the legislation," the NRA said.

And it also pointed out the limited provision of public transport to the Mahon area.

Just three buses – the no 10, no 2 and no 19 South Orbital route – service the area, leading to an over-reliance on the private car.

It said a private shuttle bus the developer has been asked to provide will have minimal impact.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that the NRA is seeking tenders from contractors to provide design and environmental services associated with the N8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange Improvement Scheme.

Part of the work will involve the successful candidate providing the NRA with full planning advice on development and proposals in the study area, and any application that may impact on the performance and capacity of the N25 South Ring Road.

The contractor will be required to prepare reports on the application if a planning appeal is required.

The NRA said tenderers should allow for up to 18 applications in the Cork area over the course of the 24-month appointment.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfkfideykfey/rss2/#ixzz0zXbhbWpr

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Drove from kinsale to cahsel resently, First time I've ever driven this route.
    Kinsale R600 to n27 to n25 to M8.
    It was a friday morning about 10.30 when I passed cork airport. The N27 junction to N25 is a mess. One of the worst junctions I've come across (mind you most of my driving is outside of ireland) then arrived at the N25 M8 junction, This needs a major upgrade. Allowing any further development along the N25 near either of these junction before they are ungraded would be foolish.
    If this developers wants to develop a 200m center, make him pay for the infrastructure improvements before he is allowed to proceed.

Developers should have to build the roads, water and sewer/stormwater and electrical , parks etc before they are allowed to proceed with a commercial or residential development. It works in other countries.

Question on a friday afternoon how long does it take to get through the tunnel and onto the M8?

• Advertisement

tharlear wrote: »
    Question on a friday afternoon how long does it take to get through the tunnel and onto the M8?

On any evening around 5-6pm you can get the south ring entirely backed up for a good three or four kilometres -- and this is in addition to the blockages at the Bandon and Sarsfield roundabouts. It can take a good while to get through: well over twenty minutes going nowhere fast at times.

Most of this traffic is not heading for the M8 (though this is still around 19,000 vehicles per day), but for the N25 East (i.e. to Middleton, Carrigtwohill, Youghal, etc.).

The long and the short of it is that Dunkettle is grossly underpowered. Any further developments on the N25 prior to the creation of a free-flowing Dunkettle Interchange should be out of the question.

Is there any work being done on the Dunkettle junction?

It looks to me as if there are at least 3 roundabouts that need to be eliminated.

Also the numbering of the road is a bit of a mess,looking at google map it appears to be N22,n28,n27,n25,
    Some renumbering might be an idea. Similar to n20,n18,n17 but over a much shorter distance.

Is there any work being done on the Dunkettle junction?

That's what this thread is about. The NRA tendered for a plan to make Dunkettle freeflow, and they've called it the N25/N8 Dunkettle Interchange Improvement Scheme. We've no more details yet unfortunately. I sent an email to them yesterday asking for an update.
    It looks to me as if there are at least 3 roundabouts that need to be eliminated.

Correct: Dunkettle itself (which is covered in this thread) and the Bandon and Sarsfield Roundabouts, which are both covered in this thread. Plans for these two roundabouts are finalised and work, some would have us believe, might start at the end of this year or early next year. But that's for that thread.
    Also the numbering of the road is a bit of a mess,looking at google map it appears to be N22,n28,n27,n25,
    Some renumbering might be an idea. Similar to n20,n18,n17 but over a much shorter distance.

It is Cork's M50 and so you have a lot of national routes converging on it.

It is Cork's M50 and so you have a lot of national routes converging on it.

I understand that but,
    on OSm.org it the n22 becomes the n25 at bandon roundabout.
    On google map
    N22 becomes n28 at bandon roundabout,
    which becomes the n27 and n28 at pouladuff road,
    this then becomes the N25,n27,n28 at the kindsale roundabout
    then the n25 and n28 after the roundabout and final the n25 after the n28 branches off.

While I understand that one peice of physical infastructure may have more than one route number applied to it over a given stretch, in this case it rather confusing for some one not familiar with the area. If it's going to be corks M50 they might think of giving it it's own seperate designation.
    When I drove from kinsale to cashel, none of the intersection I encountered in cork city were easy to nagavitate. I became the guy consentantly changing lanes as I tried to figure out where I was going.

I understand that but,
    on OSm.org it the n22 becomes the n25 at bandon roundabout.
    On google map
    N22 becomes n28 at bandon roundabout,
    which becomes the n27 and n28 at pouladuff road,
    this then becomes the N25,n27,n28 at the kindsale roundabout
    then the n25 and n28 after the roundabout and final the n25 after the n28 branches off.

While I understand that one peice of physical infastructure may have more than one route number applied to it over a given stretch, in this case it rather confusing for some one not familiar with the area. If it's going to be corks M50 they might think of giving it it's own seperate designation.
    When I drove from kinsale to cashel, none of the intersection I encountered in cork city were easy to nagavitate. I became the guy consentantly changing lanes as I tried to figure out where I was going.

Hmm... I think Google Maps is very wrong in that case! This is accurate: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.8791580200195&lon=-8.48453521728516&zoom=13

The N25 is what the bulk of the South Ring is. It becomes the N22 here, just as the M50 becomes the M11 here.

The N27 runs from the airport through the Kinsale Road Roundabout here and proceeds to the City Centre, but at all times it passes under the N25.

The N25 continues all the way to the Jack Lynch Tunnel and beyond. At no point does it share any carriageway with the N28, which begins at a trumpet interchange here.

I think you were just bamboozled by all the N twenty-something route numbers. My father also finds the South Ring very hard to follow, but he's old school and doesn't use route numbers at all. What improvements to signage would you suggest, given that several people have expressed confusion with the directions signed on the route? I've no problem with them myself.

• Advertisement

Hang on: I've just spotted the N28 here. Apologies. That strikes me as bizarre and unnecessary alright. Anyone know why it's there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Hang on: I've just spotted the N28 here. Apologies. That strikes me as bizarre and unnecessary alright. Anyone know why it's there?

Surely an error by whoever put it up seeing as it's a slip from the N27 to the SRR & Togher Flyover. There's certainly no N28 signage on it anyway.

Another reason why you should never to fully trust new fangled sat nav and DIY online maps :cool:.

As for upgrading the SRR, that means we won't be able to build some a motorway to the middle of nowhere out in the schticks. Couldn't have that now could we?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Surely an error by whoever put it up seeing as it's a slip from the N27 to the SRR & Togher Flyover. There's certainly no N28 signage on it anyway.

Another reason why you should never to fully trust new fangled sat nav and DIY online maps :cool:.

As for upgrading the SRR, that means we won't be able to build some a motorway to the middle of nowhere out in the schticks. Couldn't have that now could we?.

before the tunnel was built the south ring road went to the bloomfield interchange , there was no road past the present N28 trumpet interchange to mahon and beyond. also the ring road stopped at the bandon road so originally before the tunnel was open all of the south ring road was N28 so some maps still probably show it as that..it only all became N25 when the tunnel was opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

charlemont wrote: »
    before the tunnel was built the south ring road went to the bloomfield interchange , there was no road past the present N28 trumpet interchange to mahon and beyond. also the ring road stopped at the bandon road so originally before the tunnel was open all of the south ring road was N28 so some maps still probably show it as that..it only all became N25 when the tunnel was opened.

All well and good but the slip road which was marked N28 on the link above only came into existence with the construction of the KRR a few years ago did it not? it hardly was allocated a N28 designation in 2006 when the SRR itself was given the N25 designation in the late 1990s.

Its is possible to have more than one road number on a piece of road wher ethe share the same carrageway
    think you were just bamboozled by all the N twenty-something route numbers. My father also finds the South Ring very hard to follow, but he's old school and doesn't use route numbers at all. What improvements to signage would you suggest, given that several people have expressed confusion with the directions signed on the route? I've no problem with them myself.

On the other hand my father in his eighties in the passanger seat had no problem telling me where to go. But i was the one driving. The road signage was only part of the problem
    the junction themsevles are not intuative. Once you done it once however it not a problem.
    Coming into the kinsale rounabout there is a traffic light on the airport road at grane road. If you're not in the correct (right) lane at this light then you are trying to get across traffic on a rounabout while stopping at 2 lights on the roundabout. If you know whre your going it not an issue.
    (turn left a mile before you come to the cross roads with murphys bull)

It appears to me to be another case of a junction being build with the money available with no thought to the future requiremnents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

All well and good but the slip road which was marked N28 on the link above only came into existence with the construction of the KRR a few years ago did it not? it hardly was allocated a N28 designation in 2006 when the SRR itself was given the N25 designation in the late 1990s.

Not sure what you mean by the construction of the KRR (ie original roundabout or new flyover) but that slip was constructed with the original South ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

OSM is correct apart from that bit of N28 thats floating about on the Kinsale Road junction. Just fixed that :D

"In a detailed objection to a €200 million office plan in Mahon, Cork, which has the potential to create almost 1,500 jobs, the NRA said its experience of traffic congestion on the M50 was a key reason in its decision to appeal this project."

Buildings do not create jobs. Especially when there is vacant office space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Buildings do not create jobs. Especially when there is vacant office space.

Well, even for a start, building them does, along with a lot of traffic movements. More pertinently, it would be highly unlikely that anyone would actually build office space at the moment, but would wait until things picked up, PP in hand. Clearly, developers would dearly love to build along the N25/SRR, and the NRA want to protect their (our) investment.

This is critical an issue for the City/County Councils. They have to decide if they want to build City West style developments along the SRR, and choke that up, or to zone and plan properly, ideally putting office developments in cities themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Its is possible to have more than one road number on a piece of road wher ethe share the same carrageway

Are you sure about that? I've never seen that done in Ireland. Indeed the Statutory Instruments defining the routes of the national and regional roads have many instances of routes being interrupted as they join another route, then resuming as they diverge from it again. So I've always taken the view that multiplexing of this sort is never done in Ireland.

What I have seen is many cases of signs failing to use brackets where they should.

• Advertisement
Advertisement