Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, you beat Meno. ;)

Great job on the pacing - to both (all) of you. Out of curiosity, if you paced 1:45, then what would be your normal race time? Just wondering what kind of cushion pacers have built in. And is it the same cushion for marathon pacing?

I'm new to the wonderful world of pacing but below are the guidelines, obviously those times are not set in stone and it might depend on recent running history etc. Are you thinking of pacing? I bet you would be a super dooper pacer:D:D

Half-marathon:
    2:00 - pb of 1:45
    1:50 - pb of 1:38
    1:45 - pb of 1:35
    1:40 - pb of 1:30
    1:30 - pb of 1:22

Marathon:
    4:30 - pb of 4:00
    4:15 - pb of 3:45
    4:00 - pb of 3:30
    3:45 - pb of 3:19
    3:30 - pb of 3:06
    3:15 - pb of 2:56
    3:00 - pb of 2:48

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm new to this running thing, so I definitely need to get a few more half marathons and full marathons under my belt.....BUT, I think being a pacer would be fantastic. To help other runners reach their goals, and to try to elevate them both in spirit and in strength would be a real hoot. You are lucky to have such a running community and events that present you with these rewarding opportunities. So far in my experience with the races I've participated in, no pacers have been used. I know pacers are used in some events over here, but it appears more prevalent in Europe...so my chance of ever being a pacer is probably not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

So, you beat Meno. ;)

Everyone's beating Meno these days ;)

From reading your log I'm pretty sure you would make an excellent pacer, and I'm sure pace times, bands etc would be no problem to you at all
    . So far in my experience with the races I've participated in, no pacers have been used. I know pacers are used in some events over here, but it appears more prevalent in Europe...so my chance of ever being a pacer is probably not very good.

I'm pretty sure (although I'm open to correction) Pacers for us mortals were first used in Berlin and have become more and more popular in Europe.
    They definitely had them in Chicago when I ran it, not sure about where else in the US.
    Maybe you could be the one to forge the way in your neck of the woods?:D
    Traditionally they are not usually used for very hilly courses so we won't suggest your marathon debut course:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

So. We have..a baby, 2 hookers, a thrashed room which contains a golf buggy,a golf course covered in divots and Shane Lowery's just turned up to look for his pet tiger...but other than that, all's good:o
    Thanks again for Sunday, see you out on the road.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again on Sunday. You seriously put me and my Irish-breakfast-eating gut to shame…

Those peanut butter chocolate rice crispie rectangles were AMAZING!! My gluttony knew no bounds on Sunday! I started wondering whether you have some alternative agenda… Haha. Bring it on! The cake, I mean. Not the competition! ;)

Speaking of food, if you have an Irish Brown Bread recipe you love, could you share it with me? Hubby's birthday is this week and all he's asked for is for me to make him a loaf of Irish Brown Bread. :confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Speaking of food, if you have an Irish Brown Bread recipe you love, could you share it with me? Hubby's birthday is this week and all he's asked for is for me to make him a loaf of Irish Brown Bread. :confused::)

Avoca Brown Bread is the business. Haven’t got the recipe to hand but from a quick google search, I think this may be it http://www.grouprecipes.com/9970/avoca-cafe-brown-bread.html. I have the recipe book at home somewhere but someone else might be able to get there before me? There are also variations to make multi-seed/multi-seed and fruit etc and they are all delicious!

jonny99 wrote: »
    So. We have..a baby, 2 hookers, a thrashed room which contains a golf buggy,a golf course covered in divots and Shane Lowery's just turned up to look for his pet tiger...but other than that, all's good:o

That's where the Tiger in our back garden came from:D
    One very happy, very tired Mr Stew arrived home with great reports of golf, golf and more golf.... No mention of the hookers;)

It was great to meet you on Sunday, I really enjoyed it. I'm still racking my brains as to what was in those technicolour sandwiches

claralara wrote: »
    Avoca Brown Bread is the business. Haven’t got the recipe to hand but from a quick google search, I think this may be it http://www.grouprecipes.com/9970/avoca-cafe-brown-bread.html. I have the recipe book at home somewhere but someone else might be able to get there before me? There are also variations to make multi-seed/multi-seed and fruit etc and they are all delicious!

Avoca Brown Bread is YUM! In fact all Avoca recipes are yum.:)

I'm pretty sure you can get Bicarbonate of Soda in the US, here's a VERY simple recipe for Brown Soda bread that I use all the time.

1 lb brown flour
    1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 teaspoons brown sugar
    14 fl oz of buttermilk ( I use leftover milk that has gone sour)

Mix dry ingredients, add milk, pop in 2lb loaf tin, pop in oven.
    Bake for 20 minutes at 375 fahrenheit and then another 20minutes at 325 fahrenheit, it will sound hollow when tapped if it is cooked

• Advertisement

Monday April 23rd
    90 minute Hot Yoga class
    One hour Body Pump class
    I started the week with a trip up to Hot Yoga in Sandyford, Livingsocial had a deal of 10 classes for 25euro so I figured I had nothing to lose, I’m delighted I went:) The instructor was really nice and although I found it tough going I really felt I was able to stretch properly and I worked hard. I felt a little nauseous with the heat but after a while I got used to it. I wouldn’t say I enjoyed it and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be doing it if I didn’t think it was doing me such good.

Tuesday April 24th

Dip in the 40 Foot
    10 mile hilly run avg pace 8.49 min/mile
    With the forecast predicting biblical floods I decided to make the most of the sunny weather and head to Killiney for some running endorphins, what a glorious, glorious day. I tried to keep the pace at 9 min miles or slower but it’s amazing how a few weeks of no long runs makes your legs feel so fresh:D

Wednesday April 25th

90 minute hot Yoga class
    half hour spin class
    15 minute abs class
    I still found the yoga tough going but I could see a very small improvement. I’m going to go once/twice a week over the next six weeks.

I’ve spent the last few days reading my new P&D book (thanks Miccilin and Neil) and am planning my summer races, and training.
    Next up is May 13th, the Kildare Half Marathon for Mr Stew and I, his half PB is 1.39.XX and mine is 1.38.XX so this is a smackdown:p and I have to win:D
    The last time we raced each other was the Aware 5 mile in December and it ended up being just me and him on the last 200 metres and we were both wrecked so in the end we crossed the line hand in hand, how sad is that?;);) So this time we’re toughening up.
    I’ve already started my training by serving him up lovely fattening dinners while I'm sticking to carrot sticks and salad....

First, thank you (and CL!!) for the assistance on the brown bread. I will be trying out your very simple recipe - and yes, we have plenty of "baking soda" here in the US....but I will have to figure out this "brown flour".

Second, I have been dying to try hot yoga, but there are no classes in our area, so I will have to live vicariously through you.

And third, May 13th is only a few weeks away. Some greasy breakfasts for Mr. Stew may help with your plan. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Marthastew wrote: »
    Monday April 23rd
    90 minute Hot Yoga class
    One hour Body Pump class
    I started the week with a trip up to Hot Yoga in Sandyford, Livingsocial had a deal of 10 classes for 25euro so I figured I had nothing to lose, I’m delighted I went:) The instructor was really nice and although I found it tough going I really felt I was able to stretch properly and I worked hard. I felt a little nauseous with the heat but after a while I got used to it. I wouldn’t say I enjoyed it and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be doing it if I didn’t think it was doing me such good.

Tuesday April 24th

Dip in the 40 Foot
    10 mile hilly run avg pace 8.49 min/mile
    With the forecast predicting biblical floods I decided to make the most of the sunny weather and head to Killiney for some running endorphins, what a glorious, glorious day. I tried to keep the pace at 9 min miles or slower but it’s amazing how a few weeks of no long runs makes your legs feel so fresh:D

Wednesday April 25th

90 minute hot Yoga class
    half hour spin class
    15 minute abs class
    I still found the yoga tough going but I could see a very small improvement. I’m going to go once/twice a week over the next six weeks.

I’ve spent the last few days reading my new P&D book (thanks Miccilin and Neil) and am planning my summer races, and training.
    Next up is May 13th, the Kildare Half Marathon for Mr Stew and I, his half PB is 1.39.XX and mine is 1.38.XX so this is a smackdown:p and I have to win:D
    The last time we raced each other was the Aware 5 mile in December and it ended up being just me and him on the last 200 metres and we were both wrecked so in the end we crossed the line hand in hand, how sad is that?;);) So this time we’re toughening up.
    I’ve already started my training by serving him up lovely fattening dinners while I'm sticking to carrot sticks and salad....

No need for underhand tactics like that O, some nice OJ (or other type laxative) morning of the run should do the trick...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jonny99 wrote: »

Just wait until she finds out Mr Stew also got married :D

Thursday 26th April
    45 minute lower body class
    Intervals on :eek:treadmill:eek: 1K warm up at 10 min mile, 3 x 1200 @ 6.58 pace with 800 rest at 9 min/mile pace
    half hour spin class

Having read and reread my new bible I decided it was time to stop thinking about intervals and actually do a few. My training before Connemara Ultra tended to follow a plan but would conveniently skip the intervals and do only one or two MP LSRs (it’s no wonder I found it hard to PB). The Ultra training suited my “run what I like when I like” mentality.
    It’s time to knuckle down now as Berlin is only 5 months away:)
    With the weather this morning as bad as yesterday I decided that it would be of no benefit for me to try my first proper interval session outside in the wind and the rain. The only problem with this is I HATE the treadmill and I haven’t been on one for over a year (when it snowed I got desperate). I recently listened to a martahontalk podcast which extolled the benefits of treadmills for intervals and as I’m a member of a gym I had no excuses.
    I nervously popped on to the most secluded treadmill I could find in the gym and spent the first K trying to figure out how to work the machine…
    P&D suggest that to get the maximum benefit from the session the intervals should be between 2 and a half and 5 miles so I decided to start with 3 x 1200. When I turned the speed up I started to panic and had visions of me catapulting into the middle of the gym but after a while I relaxed into it. I found it tough but not too tough and if I had eaten properly before I might have attempted a 4th interval. I’m very pleasantly surprised at how well it went. I will definitely use the treadmill again as it’s a really good way to make sure the pace is constant, although I think I’ve read before that treadmills aren’t as tough as real life so I’ll have to take it outside soon enough.
    I was a little lightheaded when I finished so I rectified that with a chocolate muffin and a creamy coffee and then I was fit to head into the spin class.
    Cycling home by the sea was a bit of an adventure and it was so windy I had to get off and walk for a while, HUGE fabulous waves were splashing in on the coast, I was buzzing and full of energy after a great morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

I think the treadmill is deadly for sessions like intervals and tempos, like you said its easier to maintain your pace (if you can resist the decrease button). I did a four mile tempo session on mine last night which I mightn't have stuck to out on the road.

Didn't get in btw, both relieved and disappointed in equal measure. Did joe have any better luck?

I agree about intervals on the treadmill - I found great value with little risk in injury (or failure) in doing them this way.

Neilc, I assume you are talking about NY? If so, I didn't get in either. Oh well. Did Mr. Stew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

I agree about intervals on the treadmill - I found great value with little risk in injury (or failure) in doing them this way.

Neilc, I assume you are talking about NY? If so, I didn't get in either. Oh well. Did Mr. Stew?

Yeah, NY alright! Maybe next year!!

I definitely think intervals on the threadmill are the way to go, it seems so simple with the pace set, I'm delighted. It also goes to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks, I never thought I'd last more than 5 minutes on it.

DD and Neil, you are in good company cos Mr Stew didn't get into NY in the lottery either, in fact I haven't heard of anyone who did.

I'll just have to run my heart out for you all:) I'm really looking forward to it since I'm most definitely running it for fun, Berlin is my main goal this year and by all accounts New York is one to soak up the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The elite amongst us got in to NY, eh MarthaStew? ;)

• Advertisement

Friday April 27th
    MLR 14.17 miles avg pace 8.38 min/mile
    45 minute body Pump class

I was dying to head out on this run so I was delighted to see the rain clear this morning, it was still windy and a little cold but a fabulous hilly run by the sea was just what I needed to round off a great week.

With the marathontalk London Marathon podcast all cranked up I left Dun Laoghire and headed for the hills in Killiney and onto Shankill and back again. This is a route I do regularly and I never tire of it because the view is so spectacular. The sea was still quite rough and you could feel the energy coming off the waves and the sun even made the odd appearance. I was totally engrossed in the scenery and the podcast and the miles flew by.

News to report from the wonderful world of marathontalk; I’m sure this is old news and I’ve just been too busy the last few days but I was shocked to hear that neither Makau or G.Mutai made it on to the Kenyan Olympic Marathon team, I also learned that Mary Keitany and Wilson Kipsang both ran the fastest ever 5 K splits within a marathon of all time. The marathon at the Olympics is going to be be amazing this year.

Regular marathontalk listeners will be familiar with Tony’s Trials, he always makes me laugh but he gave a VERY in-depth account of the portaloos at the marathon, as the mother of three boys I’m pretty used to toilet-talk but this just took the biscuit (gingerbread man;)).
    I was trying to keep to LSR pace (8.51 min/miles, stolen from belcarra, thanks:D) and I was doing quite well until the last two miles when I decided it would be ok to pick up the pace as I was starving and thirsty and wanted to make it back to the lunchtime class in the gym. I made it just in time, grabbed my drink and an apple and spent the whole class thinking about what I would eat for lunch when I was finished so I hardly noticed the fact that my legs were shaking like a bowl of jelly (mmmmmmm... jelly:)) when I was doing all those squats, lunges etc.

Lunch was a cinnamon raisin bagel, smoked salmon and cream cheese with homemade carrot ginger and coconut soup, YUM:D

The elite amongst us got in to NY, eh MarthaStew? ;)

Did Meno say my 1:36 half gets me into NY at my age group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/Guaranteed_Entry_Guidelines.htm

So you are over 60? :pac::D

We could change your name to Allannah and you would nearly make it....:)

Although no matter what my name or age was I wouldn't make it in on the new cut-off times for 2013.

menoscemo wrote: »

Haha... So, sub 1:25 it has to be, that's not a problem ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    We could change your name to Allannah and you would nearly make it....:)

Although no matter what my name or age was I wouldn't make it in on the new cut-off times for 2013.

Do they not have a category for those who each day brave the Atlantic, jump straight to intervals on the treadmill and re-charge with Manuka honey, Chia Seeds and never eat chocolate? :D;)

Brown soda bread report - hubby lovedlovedloved it!! Woo hoo! Thank you so much for the easy and tasty genuine recipe. It's a keeper. :)

Do they not have a category for those who each day brave the Atlantic, jump straight to intervals on the treadmill and re-charge with Manuka honey, Chia Seeds and never eat chocolate? :D;)

No chocolate:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.... perish the thought!

Brown soda bread report - hubby lovedlovedloved it!! Woo hoo! Thank you so much for the easy and tasty genuine recipe. It's a keeper. :)

I'm delighted he liked it, isn't it so easy to make?? I'll have to dig out the recipe I have for Guinness bread for you, it is delish and also very easy to make.
    All this talk of homemade bread... I'm starving, I'm off to get a snack:)

• Advertisement

I would LOVE the Guiness bread recipe. I make a chocolate stout cake (with Guiness stout) that is deadly. I'll share that recipe if you don't already have it.

Advertisement