Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

If U get up near top and avoid crowds sounds like a nice course too. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck tommorrow O!
    Make sure you make it onto the front row at the start with the rest of the elites!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck tomorrow dear! Don't set to high a bar for me - my next 10k isn't too fr away! You'll be grand congestion-wise up the front. Despite the negative press from the elite boards runners, it's a great race experience and altogether a fun day out. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I say get that fake tan and over the top manicure.......and heck, while you're at it, get the boob job and derriere enhancement special they're offering to all the elite runners (it's in the fine print of the "Elite Runner Handbook" they gave you ;) ). Go for it all.....and go for the gold tomorrow!!!! I feel a win and awesome PB coming on!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck tomorrow - think you're deffo on for your highest percentile finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck tomorrow - think you're deffo on for your highest percentile finish

+1 to that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

What a wonderful day:D
    Proper report to follow tomorrow when the rain is back again

42.39 on the clock when I crossed the Finish Line in The Women's Mini Marathon, I'm thrilled with that result, couldn't have gone any faster

It was great to get a shout from Emer911, Krusty and Mini-Emer911 near the end, gave me the boost I needed:)
    Time for a big glass of Ice cold white wine now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

11 seconds faster than what McMillan predicted. Way to go!!! Enjoy your well deserved wine. Congratulations. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super run, congrats! You looked a lot fresher than most of the other lead runners around you. Sub-40 this time next year and a top-10 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats on today Olwyn. You were well up the field - top 20 finish maybe? And you looked very comfortable when you passed us...
    cbsfLh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

We were on the finish line, was keeping an eye out for you but somehow missed you passing. Great run well done.

Emer911 wrote: »
    Congrats on today Olwyn. You were well up the field - top 20 finish maybe? And you looked very comfortable when you passed us...
    cbsfLh

I can't seem to see the picture but maybe that's a good thing as I'm sure I don't look the best;)

No results up yet but highly unlikely I finished that far up, I'd LOVE top 50, we'll see.....

neilc wrote: »
    We were on the finish line, was keeping an eye out for you but somehow missed you passing. Great run well done.

How did M do? Did she enjoy it? I bet it felt odd for you to be a spectator

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Savage time. Well done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done MS!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

Marthastew wrote: »
    How did M do? Did she enjoy it? I bet it felt odd for you to be a spectator
    She did fantastic, finished around 1:20. She's delighted with herself, totally hooked, even talking about Dunsaughlin now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Marthastew. Fantastic result!

Saturday June 2nd
    7.32 miles avg pace 8.35
    Plan called for 5 mile recovery run, I had planned to remain strict on this and had been doing fantastic up until four and a half miles, avg pace was 9.05 and then a fellow runner in Shanganagh tucked in beside me and before we knew it we were exchanging stories and his were much more interesting than mine so I kept running with him. Turns out our sons play football together so I didn’t feel so guilty that I wasn’t the only one who trots up to the pitch just before the fulltime whistle blows. He’s a very serious Ultra runner and had me in awe of his achievements. My Connemara Ultra seemed to pale in comparison to his runs but he was very complimentary. We chatted away happily so I was shocked to see the pace when we finished, the 7th mile was at 7.45 pace, oops.

Total miles for the week 57.03

Sunday June 3rd

rest day
    foam rolling and core work

Monday June 4th

Flora Women’s Mini Marathon, 10K race
    I entered this race back in February when I was in the throes of ultra-training with the idea that it would be nice to race shorter distances heading into my Berlin training. Somebody had told me I could get an Elite entry with proof of time under 45 minutes and while I thought this was ridiculously slow to be classed as Elite, I entered anyway.
    I love, love running in Dublin and I love all types of races and at €18 race entry it was a no-brainer.
    I’ve had a great year so far and really feel that I have progressed and learnt a lot about myself as a runner and although I still have a long way to go and a lot more to learn I was still optimistic going into this race. Reading through all the logs on here has also really helped in terms of making me realise that the main limits I have in terms of running are the ones I put on myself. So I toed the line telling myself I really had to push those limits this time.

I say toe the line, I mean I actually toed the start line:):) Apologies in advance for my report, what follows is a sort of Charlie and the Chocolate factory-type description of the start of my race which highlights my inexperience and naivety….
    The photo below is the start of the race, I'm in white behind the two Raheny runners, to the right of the yellow and black singlet.
    Obviuosly that was the only time I saw Linda Byrne, number 1, she won the race, fantastic 33.30, Ireland is lucky to have her on our Olympic team.
    I got the dart in nice and early, as it passed through the stations the noise level was rising as more and more women joined the train full of excitement and nerves. Heading in on my own, I was calm and relaxed listening to all the talk around me.
    A quick stop off to buy a coffee in Pearse St and then I jogged a very easy mile before heading to the start area, I fully expected the marshal to laugh at me when I walked up and said “Where’s the Elite pen?” but I got a big smile and a “Good luck” and in I went.
    If Carlsberg did race starts…..:D
    No queues for the loos, so much room to run around and warm up, shade to stretch in, smiling happy runners (most of them club-runners)…. I’d died and gone to running heaven. The cherry on the cake was when I realised we would be lining up in front of all the barriers just under the gantry. Before we lined up I chatted with a really nice girl from Le Chéile, it was her first WMM also and she told me she also felt a little out of place. We spent the next few minutes reassuring each other and then it was 2.30, time to do another warm up and another trip to the loo, this time there was a queue and I had to wait at least 2 minutes! Time to line up and I hadn’t the guts to line up at the very front (I will next year) but I was just behind the front row, I could actually touch the clock. The music was blaring at this stage and the atmosphere was absolutely electric, when Riverdance came on it was all I could do to stop myself from bursting forth and dancing off down the road;), a quick blast of Molly Malone and the man with the flag/race director? told us to watch for him to drop the flag and then… BOOM, bang on time at 3pm we were off…..

My first mile was too fast, 6.28 pace, I knew it was too fast and I didn’t care, I was having so much fun and I wanted to stay up near the front as long as possible. The next mile I settled down and kept it steady, 6.50. The support along the route was fantastic and there were so many people out shouting encouragement. This stretch along Merrion Road was quite windy but the breeze was lovely and cooling. I did my best to overtake as many as possible along here, probably only about five runners but every one gave me confidence. Around the corner to run up Nutley and happy memories of running down this road during DCM and then a big shout from my friend who was in with her family to cheer the runners… I found it tough going though as I headed into the slight incline. Third mile split was slow; 6.58.
    I have to admit I was feeling it at this stage and I kept telling myself to push on. A quick glance at my Garmin at 5K showed me at 21.37 so I knew I’d have to work hard to get my McMillan predicted 42.50.
    Up over UCD flyover and the crowds here were super again. Lovely downhill onto the N11 and I overtook about two more runners. We were all well spread out and it was hard not to drop back. Emer911 had told me she’d be in Donnybrook and I was SO happy to see her, she calmly produced her camera and got a shot of me, I was smiling on the outside but crying on the inside. Krusty and mini-Emer were just after, and another shout from them really, really helped.
    “Not long to go now” I kept telling myself and sure enough the 8K sign appeared, fourth mile 6.56, fifth mile 6.52. I had been chatting with a really nice woman at the start line who told me she does this race every year and was hoping for 42 minutes, she was just up ahead and I was keeping her in my sight all the time. Just after 8K I took a chance and overtook her, I was exhausted after doing so and she soon came and passed me, you win some you lose some:(
    9K sign appears and the crowds are just super at this stage, if I wasn’t so wrecked I would have enjoyed it.
    6th mile 6.56. I heard a man was shouting “Only 2 minutes to go” as we neared the corner onto Stephen’s Green, I really appreciated that shout and I pushed on. I tried hard to catch my 42minute friend but my legs just didn’t have it in them. I was also overtaken by a young club runner on the last 100 metres, but none of this bothered me, I was so happy to see the clock show 42.39 and to be honest my first thought was “Thank God that’s over”
    Mrs 42 minutes and I shook hands and told each other we’d see each other next year and already by that stage I was thinking “I’ll beat you next year”
    All the volunteers were so kind, congratulating us, many of them young children.My Garmin had time of 42.44 ; 6.28 miles, avg pace 6.49

Official results in The Herald have me in 55th place, 42.43, I clearly was hallucinating when I saw the clock say 42.39! I know I was a big fish in a small pond in this race but I'm still very, very proud of my place.
    SPLITS
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/185599183

I jogged back to the dart as a cool-down, the sun was still shining and Mr Stew and the boys were very delighted when I arrived home, according to Mr S I now have a new unofficial 5 mile PB; 34.04
    This was my first 10K race so I was always going to PB but I’m really glad I worked hard. I’m starting to enjoy the shorter, faster distances but I still have a long, long way to go and a lot of training and racing to do.

Full marks for me for my Nutrition strategy; I had a big brunch at 11.30 and I had been drinking lots of water the day before and all morning. My mind kept telling me I needed a drink from the water stations as my mouth was so dry but I thankfully kept going instead of wasting valuable seconds.

Must try harder in the following; Next year I’ll definitely follow a proper 10K training plan in advance. I’ll also make sure to only overtake when I’m strong enough to stay ahead during the last 2K.

Finally, I know the Women’s Mini Marathon is the race people love to hate, some say it’s not even a race and maybe further back that is the case, the Facebook page is full of posts about walkers and tripping and people smoking and linking arms and pink wigs…. In spite of all of that a huge amount of money is raised for many very deserving causes, this can only be seen as a positive. I felt very humbled on the way to the start as I passed people who would be running/walking/jogging for causes that were obviously personal to them and brought tears to my eye.
    I’d definitely give the WMM a ten out of ten. I know I was very lucky to be up front and we had a superb race experience. The course is great for a PB, the organisation was perfect, the volunteers were fantastic (one particular family in Donnybrook springs to mind:):):)) and as always the marvellous, marvellous people of Dublin came out to cheer us on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done MS, that sounds like a great days work and like you really enjoyed it. Great time for you first 10k, fab report as always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

really well done. sounds like a great experience and great report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats O, sounds like a brilliant day out for you. Love the pic! The MiniMarathon people should take your report and use it in their promo material - you really nailed the feelgood factor of the day. Well done on your time :)

Savage time. Well done. :)

Thanks. Well done you on Triathy:)
    but you are not allowed to leave us here and move over to that forum, and if you must go you must promise to always make us chocolate biscuit cake

not that we love your cake more than you
    neilc wrote: »
    She did fantastic, finished around 1:20. She's delighted with herself, totally hooked, even talking about Dunsaughlin now!!!

Well done M!!! She must be thrilled. Sign her up now for Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done O, never doubted you would get an amazing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Fantastic time MS, congrats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well done - great stuff - was hoping I'd hear you giving your opinion on Joe Duffy this afternoon on my way home from Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done - great stuff - was hoping I'd hear you giving your opinion on Joe Duffy this afternoon on my way home from Cork :)

I was listening to the same thing myself...I wanted to rip out the radio and strangle that Joan wan about being impeded by walkers being no big deal!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Marthastew wrote: »
    Thanks. Well done you on Triathy:)
    but you are not allowed to leave us here and move over to that forum, and if you must go you must promise to always make us chocolate biscuit cake

not that we love your cake more than you

Never fear I'll always be a runner. Sure my goal race for the year is a half marathon. :D The triathlete boys are way better looking than runners though, so they might keep me sucked in. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The triathlete boys are way better looking than runners though, so they might keep me sucked in. :pac:
    Pfft... It's all St Tropez fake tan and shaved legs. Bloody multi-sport metrosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Smashing 10k time there MS, you make it sound easy! Glad you enjoyed the race.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    I was listening to the same thing myself...I wanted to rip out the radio and strangle that Joan wan about being impeded by walkers being no big deal!!!

Congrats to both of you on your PBs in Cork:):)

I listened to the podcast of Joe Duffy and I was disgusted at the cheek of that woman making people feel bad if they wanted a good time.
    But as bad as it was yesterday... today with Rosannagate:eek: Again Joe Duffy hadn't the first clue about what he was talking about (no surprise there), he totally sidestepped the issue of Rosanna cheating and allowed some crazy woman berate running clubs for encouraging their members to run in races... grrrrr:mad:

Advertisement