Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who knows the EXCUSE of a human who shot 1 of the 1st sea eagles born here in 110yrs?

Options
  • 05-03-2014 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd leave this here.
    Seriously - If you know who did this (and I'll get banned for what I WANT to call them) do something about them. I wouldn't trust someone who'd do this, or let them get away with it :mad::mad::mad:

http://www.thejournal.ie/white-tailed-eagle-shot-dead-tipperary-1346362-Mar2014/

and from the Golden Eagle Trust face book page

(https://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-Eagle-Trust/144404808950774):

First Irish-bred White-tailed Eagle found dead in Tipperary

Golden Eagle Trust Press Release 5th March 2014

One of the first two White-tailed Eagles to fledge successfully from a nest in Co. Clare in 2013 has been found dead in Tipperary. The young male eagle was reared by a pair of White-tailed Eagles at a nest on Lough Derg, near Mountshannon, Co. Clare and successfully flew from the nest in July 2013 along with its sibling. After a few months of care by its parents both young eagles began to disperse more widely and become independent of their parents. The last confirmed sighting was of one of the two juveniles near Dromineer, Co. Tipperary, on the east shore of Lough Derg in January.

After information supplied by a member of the public and a subsequent search on lands on the shore of Lough Derg by an officer from the National Parks & Wildlife Service (NPWS) and the Golden Eagle Trust Project Manager, Dr Allan Mee, the dead White-tailed Eagle was found near Ballinderry, North Tipperary, on the north-east shore of Lough Derg. Subsequent post-mortem by pathologists at the Regional Veterinary Laboratory at Knockalisheen, Limerick, and radiographs showed the young eagle had been shot, the body holding some 45-50 shotgun pellets. Subsequent post-mortem by pathologists at the Regional Veterinary Laboratory at Knockalisheen, Limerick showed the young eagle had been shot, the body holding some 45-50 shotgun pellets. The impact of the shooting broke one of its legs and wings but the bird survived some weeks after the shooting before dying. The horrific nature of the bird’s shooting and ultimate death has shocked all those involved in the reintroduction project.

Jimmy Deenihan TD, Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, said: “I am shocked by this crime. The birth of this bird was a special day for nature conservation in Ireland. So much work has gone into reintroducing this species here, and there has been wonderful cooperation by many different groups to achieve successful breeding. To have all this undone is a significant blow. Eagles are protected by law. I would urge anyone with information to contact An Garda Siochána or my Department’s staff in the area."

Finding one of the first two young White-tailed Eagles to fly from a nest in Ireland shot dead is heart-breaking”, added Dr. Allan Mee, Reintroduction Project Manager. “It is absolutely incomprehensible that someone would shoot one of these magnificent birds but even more shocking is that one of the first two Irish-bred eagles has been shot only 7 months after leaving the nest”.

“Although all losses impact the project, for me the loss of this male, the first Irish-bred White-tailed Eagle of the reintroduction programme, is especially difficult to take”, added Dr. Mee. "This bird and its sibling were the hope for the future of the species in Ireland. Many people spent months closely watching this bird’s progress until it flew from the nest near Mountshannon last year. I feel gutted for these people as well as the bird. Let’s hope its sibling and the other chicks to fly from nests in Ireland in 2014 will see a better fate. Ultimately it is up to ourselves to make this happen by cherishing the wonderful wildlife we do have, including eagles, and their habitats.”

The loss of one of the new generation of Irish-bred chicks comes as a serious blow to the reintroduction project. White-tailed Eagles reach maturity and begin breeding at about 4-5 years of age. The goal of re-establishing a viable population of the species depends on young Irish-bred eagle surviving and breeding themselves into the future.

Local NPWS District Conservation Officer Stefan Jones stated that the available evidence indicated that this offence resulted in an especially drawn out and horrific death for this bird: “This bird would have been unable to fish and forage as normal, and it appears that it slowly starved to death as a result. Bearing in mind the broken limbs and the fact that it had approximately 50 shotgun pellets in it, it is amazing it managed to survive for such a period.

John Harvey, Chairman of Mountshannon Community Council, reflected the shock felt locally in East Clare at the news that the first White-tailed Eagle chick reared in Ireland has been shot. “We are absolutely appalled that someone could have done this to such a magnificent bird. The chicks that flew the nest in Mountshannon last year captured everyone’s imagination. Local people have been heavily involved in watching the breeding pair here and the progress of their two chicks. We are sickened to think that someone would callously shoot them. It feels like we haven’t moved on as a people all that much since the dark days when these magnificent birds were wiped out.”

Investigations are ongoing by both An Garda Siochána and the NPWS and into the shooting. White-tailed Eagles are protected under the Wildlife Act (1976) and it is an offense to shoot or otherwise harm the species. Anyone with information on this crime should contact, in confidence, An Garda Siochána at 067-50450 or the National Parks and Wildlife Service at 076-1002501.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ah sure they taking our lambs, possibly children. Fkn idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Boskowski wrote: »
    Ah sure they taking our lambs, possibly children. Fkn idiots.

"Idiots" not quite strong enough for me. Will possibly be banned within 3 posts on the Tipp forum,

Mod edit: It is not worth getting a card or a ban just to express a view on a very ignorant act. Would be far better to highlight the act, highlight the ignorance and savagery of that act, highlight what has been lost thanks to that act, and also highlight the need for genuine action to get taken for these senseless killings of wildlife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Very sad.

I'd have to agree with Obliq.
    If anyone knows who did this they should inform the guards.
    It's important that appropriate consequences are attached to this particular crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I felt so sad when I read about this magnificent animals death. I can't understand why someone who owns a shotgun would want to shoot one of these birds? If I knew the person responsible I would report the crime to the Gardai straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Wholeheartedly agree, this subhuman scum should be named and shamed also have a lifetime ban from keeping a firearm. A good kicking wouldn't go astray either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

hiromoto wrote: »
    Wholeheartedly agree, this subhuman scum should be named and shamed also have a lifetime ban from keeping a firearm. A good kicking wouldn't go astray either.

Can't believe anyone could be so stupid or short sighted.hope the idiot starves to death riddled with bullet wounds.have been following these eagles for ages.believe theres space in this world for all creatures.if you know who this was tell the guards.if you shot the bird,and had reasons,(lambs etc?-surely not at 7 months)let's here you're arguement.otherwise ,just another asshole who shouldn't be let within a mile of a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Maybe someone intended it to be a warning for the clare lads coming to Thurles on Sunday for the double header....

No seriously, disgraceful act, up there with shooting swans imo. 50 pellets, that's one if not two shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It's a disgrace perps should be shot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

I am normally level tempered enough but the words ****ing scum just come to mind. This is just totally beyond understanding and makes me despair for our environment and the creatures that we share it with. Very sad....and sickening.

No seriously, disgraceful act, up there with shooting swans imo. 50 pellets, that's one if not two shots.

Worse, man. This is the first sea-eagle chicks born in Ireland for 110 years. Swans are illegal, so are eagles, but these are not only endangered and just barely reintroduced - their parents were donated to Ireland by Norway and the birth of the chicks is historic. Now one of them is shot to death by, as you say, possibly 2 shots and up close. 45 - 50 pellets is pretty close range.

Someone knows what happened here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If there were only 50 pellets in the eagle then it was either a long range shot or they only clipped it at close range, there are a lot more than 50 pellets in a shotgun cartridge. You're talking a couple of hundred in some shot sizes.

Blay wrote: »
    If there were only 50 pellets in the eagle then it was either a long range shot or they only clipped it at close range, there are a lot more than 50 pellets in a shotgun cartridge. You're talking a couple of hundred in some shot sizes.

Ok, fair enough, but they still knew what they were shooting. Those things are like a flying barn door - I saw that fella's daddy up close in Mountshannon last year, swooping over the harbour and that was 100m away at least. You could see him looking at you, the magnificent creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The fact that they were introduced. They were not vermin. I am not sure what punishment to the culprit will be dished out but it will be too little. The big issue is though that this is not the first time, nor will it be the last time it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Horrible thing to do,shame on whoever did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dhaslam

Why were 100 Norwegian eagles allowed to be released into the wild? It should have been obvious that such a large number would spread into farming areas and be poisoned or shot. They have no natural predators so if they do become established they will destroy a lot of the native birds and other wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

dhaslam wrote: »
    Why were 100 Norwegian eagles allowed to be released into the wild? It should have been obvious that such a large number would spread into farming areas and be poisoned or shot. They have no natural predators so if they do become established they will destroy a lot of the native birds and other wildlife.

:confused: They were native to this country up to the late 19th centaury!!. They sit at the top of the food chain and so bring balance to the levels below eg. they predate Cormorants and large gulls who in large numbers can have detrimental effects on other species. If you go to place like Poland you will see a lot of these eagles and great variety of other birds species co-existing and thriving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

They have no natural predators so if they do become established they will destroy a lot of the native birds and other wildlife.

That's what apex predators are supposed to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

So what! don't fcukin shoot them, they own the sky!!
    Let them do their own dirty work.....:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Cothrom na Feinne

Coming from a farming background myself, I wouldn't have much sympathy for the thing. These things can be an awful nuisance on a farm.

Coming from a farming background myself, I wouldn't have much sympathy for the thing. These things can be an awful nuisance on a farm.

There is no evidence for that in this country eg. in Kerry last year where the birds were released the local IFA said they have no evidence of them harming any livestock. In any case the birds on Lough Derg fed almost exclusively on fish along with the odd Cormorant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Are there stats on sea eagle attacks on livestock?

That could well of been the motive. I don't anyone would of shot it out of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

You`ve come across this have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

In Scotland one study showed Sea-eagles were responsible for less than 2% of all lamb deaths(vast majority of deaths down to weather,disease, foxes). In another using 50 collared lambs grazing next to an eagle nest - no lambs were taken that year.

h2005 wrote: »
    You`ve come across this have you?

I saw a video on youtube where an eagle lifted a baby off the ground and tried to kill it. They're called birds of prey for a reason.

That could well of been the motive. I don't anyone would of shot it out of fun.

Wildlife crimes come in many forms - other protected birds like swans have been shot in this country.

I saw a video on youtube where an eagle lifted a baby off the ground and tried to kill it. They're called birds of prey for a reason.

That video was a CGI fake put together by Canadian university students. Google it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

That was a fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you say it and get a ban Obliq, I'll be saying it too and joining you. Cnuts.

Advertisement