Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boat trailer

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A car with low profile tyres is not going to help you in any way:( I get the feeling now that you are trying to load the boat more or less dry, as it's a deep v hull the trailer needs to be well in the water to get the boat to float on where as you are trying more to pull the boat up out of the water onto the trailer and that's why it's so hard. The only options I can think of are to 1 get an extension bar for the trailer or 2 let it down the slip with a rope to deeper water.
    What type of car do you have as this is a heavy boat to be pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

hi fergal ..
    it,s a vw golf 1.9 diesel front wheel drive with low profile tyres .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

the trailer set up is fine, only thing is that the trailer isn't far enough in the water, for the boat to float onto it, hench why you are struggling to winch it on.
    Also I think that the boat is just too big for your car, it must be under a fair bit of pressure getting it, out of the water and, up the ramp.It won't be long before your clutch goes.

yeah i think your right there the car feels as if it is under a lot of pressure and i don,t think it will long before the clutch gives up that is why i have decided to get a berth for the season and get the tractor man to pull it out at the end of the season till i can sort something out . as i was told the shetland 570 boat is a quite heavy boat over a half of ton that,s not including the outboard or other bits & bobs that are on board . but i did also look up how much a vw golf 1.9 front wheel drive can tow and to what i can gather it is capable of towing 2 ton so i don,t know what the problem is .. :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The boat on it's own weights 612 kilograms, with the engines, gear and trailer I'd say you are over the legal limit of 750kg plus the fact that it's not braked so it's a lot of weight to be pushing a car when you try to come to a sudden stop:eek:

Your tow hitch is on top of the trailer

220_zps01f74956.jpg

So I can only imagine what it looks like on a Golf with low profiles, I think you did the right thing getting the berth safer in the long run and what you save on fuel and clutches should help pay for it :)

001-5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

lockmaster wrote: »
    to what i can gather it is capable of towing 2 ton so i don,t know what the problem is .. :confused::confused:

Hill starting with it? My boat's about the same weight and 2 litres barely gets it up the hill and home. First gear all the way up. Literally. And that's from a running start.

well as i have said i think i will just berth her every season and just leave it on the trailer in the winter . i will pay the tractor man to load it and off load it . make things a lot easier all round and less hassle . :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I guess I could say I told you so, but I won't :p each solution was viable in its own right!

Sorry I missed all this!

Had a busy weekend putting over 40 boats back in the water in Dun Laoghaire so didn't get a chance to look at the thread!

I think the tractor is a good idea, launching that boat with a golf on low profiles is a very bad idea.

If you do add those rollers, add a few sets. Have a look at other trailers that use them and try to use a similar set up.

I think you made a wise move by leaving her in the water for the season, however you'd want to sort any leaks before you do as that could do a fair heap of long term damage and unpleasantness.

As regards launching/recovering, I think that has been covered well here, stick the trailer in as fair as possible. Ideally pretty much float the boat all the way on.

A new winch mightn't be a bad idea, however as mentioned, have a look at that D ring on the bow and make sure she can take a good bit of force.
    Don't be afraid to use the winch to get her on the trailer, but use your common sense as to how much pressure you use. If it's becoming massively difficult then stop!

All in all, a wise decision on leaving her in the water, and at least you know what your objectives are if you do want to launch/recover her yourself.

I want to say a big thank you to all who had an opinion on this subject . the man that i bought this boat and trailer off only ever used the trailer for storing the boat on as he had a free berth where the boat was as the man that owned the marina was related to him plus the guy that owned the marina put the boat in the water and took it out of the water for him plus kept the boat well looked after for him plus he had a big tractor to do all this which is a plus :) . when I said that i would be moving the boat to another marina and that i would be loading & unloading it myself i was told that it would not be easy as the boat is quite heavy . but i said to myself ! how hard can it be ! but in my own opinion i think getting a berth and getting the tractor man to load & unload it for me is the best option so i am going to stick with that for the time been ...

once again thanks everyone for your input and everything that was said is taken on board .. i hope all you guy,s have a good boating season because i know i intend too so till next time anchors away :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

We have our 570 for about 5 years now. For the first couple of years we launched and recovered every time but I was using a 4x4, a fairly new trailer with lots of rollers and a good winch and we were still having dificulty retrieving the boat.
    2 year ago I had to get rid of the 4x4 and change to a car and the boat sat in the shed for a full season. Last year we paid for a berth and it was well worth the money. There are 3 marinas within 30mins drive from our house so we chose the one that had access to most of the river (without the hassle of going through locks.)
    We found that we used the boat far more often when it was already in the water. When the boat was on the trailer we wouldnt bother launching unless the weather forecast was perfect but when it was in the marina if we finished work early we were able to just drive straight to the boat from work without worrying about greasing bearings, making sure we have fenders and petrol, finding somewhere secure to park the trailer and allowing 1/2 hour to get the boat back on the trailer when we were finished and before it got dark. We often just picked up a pizza or chinese on the way and either motored out to the middle of the lake and anchored or just sat in the marina and watched the other boats go by.

i think i will stick to the berth it,s to much hassle otherwise thanks for your input:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

I dont like rollers period. They can seize and mar the boat,. If you must use them get the poly( honey colour) type pads. On my boat i used the flat pads for the keel, then used 2x4s waterproofed and covered in outdoor carpet using stainless screws etc. The bunks are adjusted with little centre loading. Ive seen the damage boat rollers do on gel coat and spider cracks. Also i think your trailer flexes quite a lot under way. A set of guide posts at the back would help too.

Advertisement