Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Finnish thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Veleste

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling! I've been studying Finnish for the last two years, and while I can carry on a basic conversation, I make so many mistakes and flounder for words so often it gets very embarrassing.

Now that I'm getting married, my OH and I are making plans to move over so I really want to bring my Finnish up to a standard where I won't be so embarrassed or a detriment to any company that might hire me. I already speak near fluent Russian and a fair bit of Swedish but I am finding Finnish much more difficult than them.

The resources I've found here have been very helpful so far on other topics, but I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere I could find some tutors? My Finnish friends have tried their best but when I ask questions about cases or conjugation I'm often met with blank faces.

The only people I've found so far who offer it are Listen and Learn. I did Russian with them before and while they provided a great tutor and service, they were madly expensive so I'd like to try at least find some other options before I default to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

i trying to learn Norwegian at the moment, im hoping to emigrate to norway after i finish my degree. north germanic languages: Norwegian, swedish and danish are similar. finnish is totally diff. i was shocked that a good few words in norwegian is are the same in irish (gaeilge)

is there any Norwegians in ireland or on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I was in the gym today and a black guy and his gf were working out, they were counting in a different language then english so I ask him which one it was, it was finnish, they lived there for a bit too, so now I can talk my rusty finnish to someone, I m well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I know one foreign language so far (English). Polish is my first language.
    They were trying to force me to learn German (I had lessons in primary school for 3 years, another 3 years in high school, and 1 year at college), but I was very resistive and thankfully I can't speak German at all.
    However I was thinking about learning another foreign language (as it always might be useful in your life) and just today I decided it's going to be Finnish.
    I took a quick look at few videos from youtube with sample lessons, and while it looks like I won't have too many problems with pronounciation, but grammar looks quick awkward.

Is Finnish considered difficult to learn?
    I would like to learn as much as I can from different materials from internet this year, and then possibly take some lessons next year...

Any advices?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Actually Finnish basic grammar is quite easy, once you get into it.
    I only have a little Finnish, took some classes for fun many years ago, but from what I recall it wasn't all that hard.
    As opposed to French it's a wysiwyg language, i.e. you pronounce everything written down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Personally I would NOT recommend that someone learns Finnish just for the sake of it. It is not a very portable language and outside of Finland only has some minor usability in Estonia.

My wife and some friends are Finnish and I go there a lot so I have the motivation and reason to do this. Also online resources are very limited when compared to learning a major language - you really need access to a "soft dictionary" - i.e. a native speaker who can answer language questions.

Finnish is not a modular language - you cannot cut up a newspaper and rearrange the words like you would with English!! Actually it's no surprise that Finns are so intelligent - learning the language must really teach Finns things like pattern recognition and creative thinking.

However if you feel the mad urge to learn then "pidä hauskaa" (have fun) and I wish you well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

The easiest thing about Finnish....

It's a phonetic language (as mentioned above) so there are no irregular letters or sounds.
    It's logical. Sometimes, when I've been stuck for a word, I've just been able to guess it from logic.

The most difficult things..

Grammar is horrible. In English, people can get away with using bad grammar but in Finnish it can cause huge misunderstandings.
    Pronunciation. Even though I mentioned phonetics as a positive, if you mispronounce one single letter, such as 'a' instead of 'ä', you could find yourself in an embarrassing situation. Eg. When I first came to Finland, I would say in Finnish "see you later", but somehow it would come out as "f*** you later".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I don't have much Finnish, but have learnt Estonian extensively and they are similar languages. Once you get beyond the primary learning, Finnish is not too bad. It takes dedication though, and if you had problems with German (which is easy in the beginning) then I am not sure Finnish is for you. Saying that, any language can be learned with some patience. One of the posters above is right, though - you won't have much use for it outside of Finland and Estonia, or a call centre in Ireland (Unless of course you want to be a translator at some point).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭syntax1

Rasmus wrote: »
    I don't have much Finnish, but have learnt Estonian extensively and they are similar languages. Once you get beyond the primary learning, Finnish is not too bad. It takes dedication though, and if you had problems with German (which is easy in the beginning) then I am not sure Finnish is for you. Saying that, any language can be learned with some patience. One of the posters above is right, though - you won't have much use for it outside of Finland and Estonia, or a call centre in Ireland (Unless of course you want to be a translator at some point).

Miks õppisid eesti keelt? Kas sa ikka oskad? Mina elan siin Eestis ja mu naise pere räägib ainult eesti keelt.
    CiniO wrote: »
    I know one foreign language so far (English). Polish is my first language.
    They were trying to force me to learn German (I had lessons in primary school for 3 years, another 3 years in high school, and 1 year at college), but I was very resistive and thankfully I can't speak German at all.
    However I was thinking about learning another foreign language (as it always might be useful in your life) and just today I decided it's going to be Finnish.
    I took a quick look at few videos from youtube with sample lessons, and while it looks like I won't have too many problems with pronounciation, but grammar looks quick awkward.

Is Finnish considered difficult to learn?
    I would like to learn as much as I can from different materials from internet this year, and then possibly take some lessons next year...

Any advices?

@ OP: What others have said. Reading is pretty straightforward (no irregular stress like Lithuanian) and after a little introduction the grammar is pretty straight-forward, nothing too crazy. People always get stressed about the cases but there aren't as many as 14! I am not exactly sure for Finnish but in Estonian there are really only 3 cases (nominative, genitive, partitive) and 4 basic forms to learn (nom. sg., gen. sg., part. sg. and part pl.), everything else is built off these forms in a REGULAR and predictable (even boring!?) fashion (Finnish is quite similar though not exactly the same).

Good luck for your studies! Jõudu tööle! as we say here in Estonia. Check out my Finnish and Estonian blogs if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

CiniO wrote: »
    thankfully I can't speak German at all.

You're HAPPY you can't speak German?:eek:

• Advertisement

Lucena wrote: »
    You're HAPPY you can't speak German?:eek:

S/he's Polish! :D

syntax1 wrote: »
    Miks õppisid eesti keelt? Kas sa ikka oskad? Mina elan siin Eestis ja mu naise pere räägib ainult eesti keelt.

I learned Estonian several years ago in college in Tartu - I wanted a high level of proficiency for integration in everyday life. It is odd that your wife's family doesn't speak English (or are they being stubborn?)! Most Estonians speak at least a little English and many speak it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Geman is piss easy why did you hate it and also you ronounce everything phonotecially aswell!

I learned Estonian several years ago in college in Tartu - I wanted a high level of proficiency for integration in everyday life. It is odd that your wife's family doesn't speak English (or are they being stubborn?)! Most Estonians speak at least a little English and many speak it very well.

Well the younger generation does speak English quite well but as you move up the generation less and less competence in English is to be found. For example my brothers in law, my mother in law and her sister and my wife's cousins have pretty good English but my father in law and my mother in law's parents don't have any English. My wife and I used to live in her grandparents' house so that's where I learned my Estonian. Then it gets weirder on my father in law's side of the family as many of them don't speak much Estonian - just Russian. My wife's paternal grandmother for example just speaks Ukrainian.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Estonia!

Well the younger generation does speak English quite well but as you move up the generation less and less competence in English is to be found. For example my brothers in law, my mother in law and her sister and my wife's cousins have pretty good English but my father in law and my mother in law's parents don't have any English. My wife and I used to live in her grandparents' house so that's where I learned my Estonian. Then it gets weirder on my father in law's side of the family as many of them don't speak much Estonian - just Russian. My wife's paternal grandmother for example just speaks Ukrainian.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Estonia!

You will find that greater numbers of older native Russian speakers will have minimal English compared to their native Estonian counterparts, especially in the older generation. However, I am not planning on entering that political discussion! : )

You will find that greater numbers of older native Russian speakers will have minimal English compared to their native Estonian counterparts, especially in the older generation. However, I am not planning on entering that political discussion! : )

And I guess you heard the common:

"Some people have been here for 40 years! And you speak Estonian and they don't! How can that be.....blah blah"
    :D

And I guess you heard the common:

"Some people have been here for 40 years! And you speak Estonian and they don't! How can that be.....blah blah"
    :D

Yes, it's a common opening gambit. BTW why is your blog apparently by a young girl?

Yes, it's a common opening gambit. BTW why is your blog apparently by a young girl?

The video? If you read the text you understand it's not me, that it's a native speaker. Funny that you got that impression :D

The video? If you read the text you understand it's not me, that it's a native speaker. Funny that you got that impression :D

No, I got that impression from the profile pic of the blog by 'Syntax' ! Apologies - I guess it is not indicative of your true image.

No, I got that impression from the profile pic of the blog by 'Syntax' ! Apologies - I guess it is not indicative of your true image.

No need to apologize. Mea cupla. I guess it is a bit strange if you think about it. Sure, at the end of the day it's just an avatar. My main blog has an about me and a link to my tumblr which has my cv and also an about me.

I feel I have hijacked the thread! Sorry OP!

• Advertisement

No need to apologize. Mea cupla. I guess it is a bit strange if you think about it. Sure, at the end of the day it's just an avatar. My main blog has an about me and a link to my tumblr which has my cv and also an about me.

I feel I have hijacked the thread! Sorry OP!

Fair enough, yes it's a bit strange but then again I am probably a bit too curious. A few years ago I knew most Irish folks in Estonia having been there a long time. Good luck with your studies.

Thanks! Aitäh!

Terve kaikille!

This thread is quite old. How are people getting on with their Finnish? I would learn but I have no time. Currently I am focusing on Estonian. You can follow my experiences with these languages here and here.

Estonia was mentioned a couple of times at the start of this thread. Estonia is often called Baltic because it together with Latvia and Lithuania were the three Baltic states of the USSR. They were the most Western and richest parts of the USSR and together the formed a natural trio being that they shared such a similar experience under the Soviet occupation. However, culturally and linguistically Estonia is not Baltic. There are only two remaining Baltic languages: Latvian (including Latgalian) and Lithuanian. Together they are the remains of the Baltic branch of Indo-European languages.

Estonian is one of the Finnic/Fennic languages, a language family of some 9 languages (2 state languages and 7 minority ones) that is part of a much greater family of some three dozen languages, which is called Uralic. Estonia and the Estonians have much in common with Finland and the Finnish (and to a less extent with Sweden and the Swedes). Estonia has a very Germanic and Nordic feel to it, very different from its eastern and southern neighbours. Estonia orientates itself northwards and westwards. However, Estonia is not a member of the Nordic Council.

So, Estonia is culturally and linguistically Finnic (and Nordic) but was in the C20th and is today often considered politically considered Baltic. In a way, Finland is what Estonia would have been had it never been annexed by the Soviet Union. The first Republic of Estonia was actually a very prosperous and liberal place with a great deal of exports, civil freedoms and a high per capita income.

I know politics is frowned upon in the language section but I just wanted to point out the usage of the terms Nordic and Baltic in reference to Estonia. I hope that that is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AmmithakaRuth

pretty easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

pretty easy.

What is?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

What is?

Id like to know as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AmmithakaRuth

What is?
    Finnish language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Finnish language.

Cool, I'll take your word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Holy Mother of toast, is there a more difficult European language? Coin toss between Finnish and Hungarian from what I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

seven?

Advertisement