Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Donovan [Showtime] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Another good ep last night.
    Voights character is easily the sleaziest guy on t.v.
    Some very good scenes including the the most inappropriate joke ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snadnerb

Best show on TV at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Showtime has renewed for a second season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Voight you sleezy pr*ck.

What a character. Im really liking this show so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another excellent episode, story is developing very well and Voight is sooooo good as a sleaze, the internet bit was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yes...congratulations to Jon Voight. He almost managed a full Blanche at the therapy session. Teaching the nerds what the interweb is for was a good touch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Very good so far, extremely impressed. I dont think theres a bad character in this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

One of the best new shows on ATM, enjoying it a lot. Better than fuppin Dexter that's for sure

snausages wrote: »
    One of the best new shows on ATM, enjoying it a lot. Better than fuppin Dexter that's for sure

From what I've seen of Dexter in recent years it wouldn't exactly take a lot to better it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

In that first episode, when he pulled over did he bang the girl or what. Because it just cut to him giving her a different kind of dressing down..

but then Ray is such a morally upstanding guy I guess he declined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

In that first episode, when he pulled over did he bang the girl or what. Because it just cut to him giving her a different kind of dressing down..

but then Ray is such a morally upstanding guy I guess he declined.

Its only my opinion but I felt it was clear that he pulled over for her to go down on him without it causing a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

From what I've seen of Dexter in recent years it wouldn't exactly take a lot to better it.

Dexter jumped the shark after his annoying cry baby sister was made lieutenant.

As for Ray Donovan, it's been brillant so far. Everything Jon Voight says is comedy gold 'half nelson, full nelson, father nelson':)

Jon Voight steals the show as Ray's dad, he is excellent as Mickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

What a ridiculous statement to make, very few TV shows on as long as Dexter which are over 9/10 in IMDB

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement to make, very few TV shows on as long as Dexter which are over 9/10 in IMDB

Have you watched recent seasons? Its not a patch on the earlier ones

IMDB ratings? Hardly a trump card

Dietsquirt wrote: »

IMDB is a measure of what's currently popular, not what's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yeah there is a real edge to the show! Enjoying it

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/ray-donovan-exec-producer-to-take-leave-of-absence-1200569529/

Bryan Zuriff, exec producer of Showtime’s “Ray Donovan,” is taking a leave of absence from the show after he plead guilty in a New York online gambling case.
    Showtime released a statement saying they, “respect and appreciate Bryan Zuriff’s decision.”
    Zuriff also gave his statement saying ““I’m incredibly grateful to have been a part of the extraordinary Ray Donovan family. Out of respect for my colleagues at the network and everyone involved with the show I’m voluntarily taking a leave of absence so that the resolution of my personal legal matters won’t distract from the audience’s great response to the program. I appreciate all the support I’ve received and look forward to everyone’s continued success.”
    Zuriff plead guilty last week in a New York federal court for his role in a high-stakes online sports betting business run by organized crime operation.
    “Ray Donovan” was recently renewed for a second season after earning solid ratings since bowing last month.

The latest episode was crap. Kind of losing interest now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

cam someone advise if anything happened in the last 5-10 mins of episode 3?

I missed the last few mins due to a recording snafu.

thanks!

• Advertisement

Caught up on the episodes to date and still really enjoying it. The performances and in particular, Voight and Schreiber are outstanding but episode 5 really highlights the shows shortcomings. We're almost 5 hours into a 10 hour story and already we have more questions than answers. The show goes out of it's way to paint Micky as some truly evil figure but he never feels threatening. Instead he feels like a live wire, someone whose actions aren't predictable but a long way from the Machiavellian character he's been painted by the other characters.

A lot of the supporting characters seem to be repeating the same actions week after week, Bunchy spends every episode moping around in a constant state of arrested development and the writers don't seem the least bit interested in expanding upon anything that makes him interesting. The same goes for Terry who has over the first 4 episodes came to the front as one of the shows most interesting characters but all this was thrown away in episode 5 where Terry went from being a sad sack love shy loser to the other man. It just didn't ring and seemed almost as if the writers had accidentally mixed in the pages from a later episode.

There's a lot of potential in the show but it needs to get a move on in introduction the pieces of the overall puzzle. You can't keep the viewer in the dark or offer slivers of information for too long before people just stop watching.

Yeah, it's hard knowing what this series wants to be. The family aspect of it fragments it more than it keeps it feeling cohesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ep.6

Poor twerp on acid reminded me of some mushrooms I took once in Limerick. I loved the toys coming to life. Don't think he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

now that was a great episode!! :)

Not a bad episode this week though yet again the relationship between Ray and Mickey seems to be far more interesting that anything the writers have shown us to date. I'm dieing to find out just what he could have done to leave Ray with so much hate for his father, after all from everything we have seen of Mickey he's came across as a pretty decent bloke. Granted his social skills aren't all that and he has no idea how to conduct himself around his family but he's certainly not the figure of pure evil that the show has been selling him as.

I really hope that the coming weeks can deliver on the promise that the show contains. It seems to be constantly threatening to go from being merely very, very good to exceptional TV but week after week it fails to cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Not a bad episode this week though yet again the relationship between Ray and Mickey seems to be far more interesting that anything the writers have shown us to date. I'm dieing to find out just what he could have done to leave Ray with so much hate for his father, after all from everything we have seen of Mickey he's came across as a pretty decent bloke. Granted his social skills aren't all that and he has no idea how to conduct himself around his family but he's certainly not the figure of pure evil that the show has been selling him as.

I really hope that the coming weeks can deliver on the promise that the show contains. It seems to be constantly threatening to go from being merely very, very good to exceptional TV but week after week it fails to cross the line.

To be fair I don't think I am seeing that! He is enabling his own son, Punchy, who is trying to stay off the sauce, in the latest episode he is giving a beer to his early teen granson. As for all the jokes he has been making about Punchy's abuse (half-nelson), and the meeting they went to. I just don't understand how the other's are not seeing this!

I am really enjoying this show, Voight just plays the sleeze perfectly. I am not so sure about Ray's missus, surely she must have some clue about what he does for a living...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The best show that's airing at the moment I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Best episode so far. I don't think there is anything better on the box at the moment (until the greatest tv show of all time Breaking Bad comes back Monday).

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think I am seeing that! He is enabling his own son, Punchy, who is trying to stay off the sauce, in the latest episode he is giving a beer to his early teen granson. As for all the jokes he has been making about Punchy's abuse (half-nelson), and the meeting they went to. I just don't understand how the other's are not seeing this!

I am really enjoying this show, Voight just plays the sleeze perfectly. I am not so sure about Ray's missus, surely she must have some clue about what he does for a living...

He's a sleaze bag there's no doubt about that but he's far from the evil character he's painted at. He comes across as a deeply flawed individual who has no understanding of boundaries or how to interact with people. He's quite vile at the best of times and not a particularly nice person or someone you'd want around your kids but he's far from the evil figure Ray seems him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

meh... I've given it 4 episodes and I know I'm going against the grain, but I don't think its much good at all.

Most annoying thing is the accent of wife Donovan..... there mut be plenty of actresses who can do a Boston accent... this lady unfortunately cannot.

John Voigts characther is too OTT to be in any way realistic.

Advertisement