Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Donovan [Showtime] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

prodsc wrote: »
    50/1 in a 6(?) horse race!!:p

That's tv though.

By a horse that "spoke" to him.

I've a mate like that...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭squonk

I wish someone would wack Mickey at this point. He's a tool and most of his plots don't seem to go anywhere bar exploding dramatically all of a sudden. It's a payoff but you put in plenty of time before then wondering what's up.

Ezra, glad he's getting some comeuppance. I just don't get the character. Yes, I know he's Ray's mentor etc. but he keeps getting referred to as some legendary hard man/gangster type who you don't cross on your life but in actual fact he's a bat-shít crazy old fart living day to day on delusions that make Ronald Regan and his missus dabblings with tarot cards look rational. He's definitely one character on the show I'd love to see getting carted off to jail or getting a bullet. The show would improve without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

squonk wrote: »
    I wish someone would wack Mickey at this point. He's a tool and most of his plots don't seem to go anywhere bar exploding dramatically all of a sudden. It's a payoff but you put in plenty of time before then wondering what's up.

Ezra, glad he's getting some comeuppance. I just don't get the character. Yes, I know he's Ray's mentor etc. but he keeps getting referred to as some legendary hard man/gangster type who you don't cross on your life but in actual fact he's a bat-shít crazy old fart living day to day on delusions that make Ronald Regan and his missus dabblings with tarot cards look rational. He's definitely one character on the show I'd love to see getting carted off to jail or getting a bullet. The show would improve without him.
    I've never got the impression that Ezra was a legendary hard man/gangster , not from any episode anyway.he helped Ray put away Mickey and helped him get to LA but in terms of him being a gangster that is definelty not the case.

Well perhaps I misread but that episode where Ezra goes crazy looking for more money for his stupid hospital and forces Ray to collect a debt from a widow. Ray takes pity on her even though she says that you have to pay if you owe Ezra money. I believe the implication was that he was a bit of a hard man. Yes, Ray is his enforcer now but it does sound like you'll come off the worse end of the bargain if you don't play ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I liked that finale a lot. Hope Steve comes back though because he was a great creepy character in the background of the Cookie stuff. Was hoping Ray's wife would be killed off though (still hoping).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I would love if season 3 focus' more on Ray actually working, I love the parts where he's fixing shît !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I've never got the impression that Ezra was a legendary hard man/gangster , not from any episode anyway.he helped Ray put away Mickey and helped him get to LA but in terms of him being a gangster that is definelty not the case.

Ezra is Rays mentor though, and was/is a legendary character, like Ray. A gangster/hardman is not an unfair description, obviously at this point in is life he has passed over the more hands on stuff to Ray, you an still see the influence though and the ruthlessness at times.

Edit: It is stated at some point in the show, where I can't remember, but it is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I would love if season 3 focus' more on Ray actually working, I love the parts where he's fixing shît !

Absolutely, more broken shelves and plumbing issues, come on Ray fix that ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Well perhaps I misread but that episode where Ezra goes crazy looking for more money for his stupid hospital and forces Ray to collect a debt from a widow. Ray takes pity on her even though she says that you have to pay if you owe Ezra money. I believe the implication was that he was a bit of a hard man. Yes, Ray is his enforcer now but it does sound like you'll come off the worse end of the bargain if you don't play ball.

I think it was meant that he gets what he wants through people like Ray, blackmail or heavy handed lawyer techniques. Not in a Tony Soprano sort of way

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

Really enjoy this show, the scene where Mickey brings the girl he met in the spa back to his house and then goes and gets a gun. Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

On episode 7 of Series 2 here now. Really enjoy this show. The only bit that annoys me is that Marvin dude saying "shawdy". Cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Have to say, the season 2 finale was pretty fantastic. I thought this season started out a bit weak but they really upped their game throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,553 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nzinga

Awesome show! Can't wait for season three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

When is the next season starting back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

It's usually a Summer show, June or July.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

prodsc wrote:
    It's usually a Summer show, June or July.
    great can't wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

July 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks like a great storyline, classic Ray "whats to like" about Paige's family :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 3 opener is out there and the season is off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It was a brilliant episode.
    I knew Mickey was bad, but not that bad. Welcome to the hotel California
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Solid start to the new series.. Lots of ups and down ahead no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

Has the season started early, I thought it was July 12 in the States? Was that episode leaked or will there be an episode next week?

Good start.
    Ian McShane has got wrinkly and looks tiny beside Ray!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Good episode.
    Ray's violence is good to watch.

I thought the cowboy hat was a nice touch in the Mickey scenes.

Any Big Lebowski fans reading this? I spotted 5 (arguably 6) references; unconscious on the writers part, I guess, or maybe a coincidence, or the writers are Lebowski fans.

Liking the look of this season.
    Personally I think killing off Ezra is a big plus. I never really warmed to the character. Less Tasha Yar now though I suppose? Ian McShane is a great addition. I wonder is he being lined up as Ezra II?

The Mickey storyline is intersting this season and my real quibble with previous seasons i.e. the general slowness seems to not be a problem so far based on this epiose anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like this episode was leaked early. Apologies to anyone who has read the posts above before seeing it. I've added spoiler tags.

First episode official airdate is July 12th. Please use spoiler tags if discussing Ep 1 before then, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Found episode two of this season to be not as good as the first episode but still reasonably strong. Still strikes me as a show that could do with some serious character culls though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

lizzyman wrote: »
    Found episode two of this season to be not as good as the first episode but still reasonably strong. Still strikes me as a show that could do with some serious character culls though.

Yeah, it was pretty slow. Still good though. Jon Voight lights up the screen every time he's on it. Bunchy:p. Donovans son :p:p

Which characters do you reckon need culling? Unlike some other recent shows I'm enjoying every story line. I never enjoyed the daughters story line so its good to see her with little screen time.

I think after a strong opener they're just slowing things down again like has happened previously. The Ian McShane angle is much better than Ira previously. Micky and his son/sidekick is compelling as well.

Abbey's story just seems to be more of the same. Pissed off and freaking out. It's getting a bit old at this stage.

Abbey's story just seems to be more of the same. Pissed off and freaking out. It's getting a bit old at this stage.

Couldn't agree more. It's really starting to put a drain on the show.

This weeks episode was slower than the opening alright, but I expected it would be. There's plenty of paths this show can explore now. Any idea what the craic with the priest is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Good start to the new season,
    Abbey and the kids just annoy me at this stage
    Bring back Avi Ray!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'd love to see a scene where Abbey storms into Ian McShane's office and call him a cocksucka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Yeah, it was pretty slow. Still good though. Jon Voight lights up the screen every time he's on it. Bunchy:p. Donovans son :p:p

Which characters do you reckon need culling? Unlike some other recent shows I'm enjoying every story line. I never enjoyed the daughters story line so its good to see her with little screen time.

The wife for starters. Couldn't care less about her and the dog.

Bunchy really, really drags the show down. Bad enough last week with him cleaning the toilets with a toothbrush for that weird Mexican wrestler chick but jesus it was painful watching him shopping for breastmilk this episode. The fúck were the writers smoking when they came up with that?

I really liked this week's episode. For once a few things actually happened and there was some immediacy and an attempt to progress the story. To me it felt like the most accessible and enjoyable episode since this show started. Overall I'm much more impressed with Season 2.

I'd kind of agree with Bunchy being a weak link. I'm not sure what he adds. We've know all along he's a bit of a simpleton and suffered the outcomes of abuse worse than the rest of them.

It also seems like Abbey has very little to do in the show at this point. I couldn't blame Ray for nailing any piece of ass he encounters given she's whats waiting for him at home! For me the stupid 2 episode dog cameo took the biscuit. It's like they're just inventing storylines for her at this stage. I wish she'd do something useful or just get written out.

Really enjoyed this weeks episode. Best episode in a long long time. I actually felt sorry for mickey at one point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I really enjoyed the latest episode but agree that Bunchy is dragging the show down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

I really enjoyed the latest episode but agree that Bunchy is dragging the show down.
    He seemed to getting on handy enough as a pimp.. could be some character development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

He seemed to getting on handy enough as a pimp.. could be some character development.

Bunchy's Bitches Y'all!

The marketing just writes itself sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Really? I think Bunchy's hilarious and he adds some humour to the show, which is quite dark.

Abbey on the other hand just pisses me off the more the show goes on; such an irritating personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That was a cracking episode, probably one of the best yet. If there was no Abbey or even the kids for that matter it would be one of the best shows on TV at the moment. The dynamics of the Donovan family are just great to watch! Mick is an absolute gowl though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 the dark ken night

If I was an emotionally scarred, alcoholic, self destructive tough guy he is the emotionally scarred, alcoholic, self destructive tough guy I would want to be.......

Brilliant writing, outstanding acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Great episode. Like Ray said everything Mick puts his hand to turns to ****. Everything he does he does for himself. He doesn't give a crap about anyone.

Terrys character is great and Eddie Marsan does a fantastic job.

Disagree a bit about Bunchy. He adds a bit of humour to a grim enough show but i think his character is going to be in for a bumpy ride this season.

Abbey is annoying agreed as are the kids but I have no real empathy for Ray either. Hes a high class thug for hire. Interested now to see where it goes with Lovejoy owning his ass.

Great TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The wife and kids are ruining the show for me.

Lena and Avi need to be brought back instead of the wife and kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Heineken!! Heineken everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I remember watching the first season and loving it but not enjoying Liev Schreiber's acting that much. The strong, silent type that he portrayed didn't sit well with me.

Now, into season 3, I think it's brilliant. He carries himself like a calm and calming presence among his crackpot family when, in fact, he's as messed up as the rest of them (case in point being the clerical abuse issue in season 1). I think Schreiber is managing to create so many layers to the character of Ray: the fixer who can fix the lives of those all around him, aside from his own and those of his wife and kids. Brilliant stuff.

Cracking show and with the couple of big names (Schreiber, Voight) and an Irish connection, I'm surprised it's gone under the radar of the mainstream in Ireland, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ekels wrote: »
    I remember watching the first season and loving it but not enjoying Liev Schreiber's acting that much. The strong, silent type that he portrayed didn't sit well with me.

Now, into season 3, I think it's brilliant. He carries himself like a calm and calming presence among his crackpot family when, in fact, he's as messed up as the rest of them (case in point being the clerical abuse issue in season 1). I think Schreiber is managing to create so many layers to the character of Ray: the fixer who can fix the lives of those all around him, aside from his own and those of his wife and kids. Brilliant stuff.

Cracking show and with the couple of big names (Schreiber, Voight) and an Irish connection, I'm surprised it's gone under the radar of the mainstream in Ireland, as far as I can see.

It seems to have gone under the mainstream radar worldwide actually, which is a shame as it's probably my favourite show on TV now, and I'm sure that's the case for many who do follow it too. Season 2 could've been better but I think the show is back to its best now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement