Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking a Marathon.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

pconn062 wrote: »
    Running is a sport, we measure achievements in terms of time taken to complete events.

One definition would have running as a sport and that definition implies that one strives to achieve a maximum performance. One is therefore entitled to race and test one's personal ability.

It's also a pastime, fitness tool or even social activity. Under these definitions I don't believe taking part in a marathon (or any other race) is acceptable. IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RoyMcC wrote: »

It's also a pastime, fitness tool or even social activity. Under these definitions I don't believe taking part in a marathon (or any other race) is acceptable. IMO of course.

Am I reading this right? Social runners or people running for fitness or pastime should not be entering marathons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

RonanP77 wrote: »
    One of my big things on my bucket list is to run a Marathon. If I never get to that level through running, for what ever reason, is it frowned upon to walk one? Or walk 75% of it?

I'm just talking about the Irish ones now so I'd imagine there's no time limit on them but if you hobble home after 6ish hours do people reckon you had no business being there? Or is it accepted that maybe people like walking really long distances too?

Back to your original question. As you can now see, people think lots of things from the practical to the bizzare. Some get very exercised about topics that other people see as mundane or even downright daft.The important thing is what you think yourself not the thoughts of a random sample of posters on a niche forum on the internet. Within the parameters of law and morality, do whatever you damn well please.
    A lady who works with me walked this years Dublin Marathon. In the interest of civility friendship and keeping my nose on the front of my head, I will not inform her of the opinion of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

menoscemo wrote: »
    Seriously?
    When I was fat(ter) smoked and did no exercise I could have walked a 6.5 hour Marathon with no training. God knows why I bothered training my ass off to get better, fitter, slimmer and run faster :rolleyes:

Your statement is an insult to the hundreds of runners on here who are currently busting their asses off in order to be able to run a sub 3:30 marathon (or whatever their target is for that matter).

And plenty of people on here are insulting those for whom walking a marathon in 6.5 hours is an achievement.

It is laughable that those who run a marathon in 3.5 hours are having a pop at walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Smartguy wrote: »
    And plenty of people on here are insulting those for whom walking a marathon in 6.5 hours is an achievement.

It is laughable that those who run a marathon in 3.5 hours are having a pop at walkers.

But walking a Marathon in 6.5 hrs would not be an achievement for the OP. He can already run 5k in 22.40.
    I don't see any 3:30 marathoners having a pop at walkers, can you point them out to me?

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    From reading this thread, it started out as dissing people who want to walk marathons to now dissing people who run a marathon under 3 and a half hours.

I work my guts out for 6 months training to do Dublin, battling injury and spending a fortune to keep my legs in decent nick while changing career and now I read what I worked for, achieved, collapsed for later on and got dangerous ill was to be classed as 'ordinary'.

Jeez lads, if I posted what I think of some of the posts on this thread, I'ld be banned forever.

It is ordinary but that makes it no less of a great achievement for you.

For others that same achievement could be walking a marathon in 6 hours or running it 2.5 hours.

Btw I ran a 3.28 marathon

But walking a Marathon in 6.5 hrs would not be an achievement for the OP. He can already run k in 22.40.
    I don't see any 3:30 marathoners having a pop at walkers, can you point them out to me?

I have no idea of people's times but chivito seems pretty dismissive of walkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Would it be asking too much of the Mods to actually stop these threads in their tracks in future? As someone said right at the start, "Here we go again". These Marathon Walking threads are never fruitful or positive and I'd hazard a guess that a fairly big percentage of the people who post here are runners, in one way or another.

Runners who train, plan, share, suffer and enjoy the whole process.

I have no idea of people's times but chivito seems pretty dismissive of walkers

4:07 I believe ;) But he is a 400m runner

Itziger wrote: »
    Would it be asking too much of the Mods to actually stop these threads in their tracks in future? As someone said right at the start, "Here we go again". These Marathon Walking threads are never fruitful or positive and I'd hazard a guess that a fairly big percentage of the people who post here are runners, in one way or another.

Agree, I think there was some clash over walkers vs runners in the Art O'Neill Ultra thread a few years ago. AFAIK walkers have since been directed to the outdoor pursuits forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=430

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Itziger wrote: »

In fairness, if it's a genuine question then we have no reason to close it. People are going to have different opinions on these things and some heated debate/discussion is all par for the course. If people just don't take things personally threads like this are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

It is ordinary but that makes it no less of a great achievement for you.

For others that same achievement could be walking a marathon in 6 hours or running it 2.5 hours.

Btw I ran a 3.28 marathon

That's the point I was trying to make but got too angry. Everyone's circumstances are different so one person's 'ordinary' might be someone's else pb by a good few minutes or personal achievement that they can run/walk/crawl any distance at all.

Well done on your time, savage going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I make no apologies by saying that for 99% of people, walking 42.2km is not an achievement. Spend a day sightseeing in Rome and you would clock up 15-20km without even thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭happybob

chinguetti wrote: »
    That's the point I was trying to make but got too angry. Everyone's circumstances are different so one person's 'ordinary' might be someone's else pb by a good few minutes or personal achievement that they can run/walk/crawl any distance at all.

Well done on your time, savage going.

Precisely! Everyone is different. There are many people who for various reasons such as age, health, condition will not be able to run a marathon, no matter how much training they do. There are also some people who might try it, and again because of health and condition, probably should not.

It is commendable that anyone who doesn't have the fitness or able bodiedness to run a marathon should still contemplate walking one, and should be afforded the equal opportunity to participate, enjoy the athmosphere, raise money for charity, etc, as running participants do.

Of course, there are endurance walking events available too. Some of those suffer the opposite problem, in that the objective for some of the 'walkers' is still to complete the distance in the shortest time possible and you will have hill-runners and similar turning up with minimal kit for 'walks'.

I would expect all genuine sportsmen (or women) to support such a view but it appears there are some about who are simply narrow-minded or just enjoy adopting the role of troll.

Finally, the one thing I would say to walkers, and slow runners, in any large event is please keep out of the way of faster runners. I ran DCM in 2011 and said never again; many of the participants are clueless about basic courtesy and event etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I make no apologies by saying that for 99% of people, walking 42.2km is not an achievement. Spend a day sightseeing in Rome and you would clock up 15-20km without even thinking about it!

I don't understand the point of these threads.

OP: Can I go for a walk.
    Reply: Sure.

For me it's not so much the walking or the running or the times.

It's just that, with some great long distance walks out there, free, the Kerry Way, the Wicklow Way etc., don't get why a person would pay the bones of €100 to stroll around lots and lots of streets in Dublin. You can't even say "I ran a marathon" after it all.

Still though, that's entirely subjective, maybe people prefer cityscapes. But even at that I'd plan my own route, maybe take in a few sights, and do it free. Maybe I'm just mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭happybob

Is it because it is participation in an event with company usually with a charitable purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I really thought we had seen the last of these threads now that DCM was over. Most on here would have absolutely no issue with people who walk a marathon if that's because they can only walk due to their current physical health/fitness at the time.

When a runner who can do 5K in 22 and should with proper training and commitment be somewhere south of 4 hours fire's up a "I want to complete a Marathon/tick a box with the least amount of effort thread" you will get these sorts of replies from runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

If I didn't make it clear, or people didn't read before answering...... Yes I can run 5k in 22:40 (not exactly impressive) when fit but I'm struggling to stay injury free. I love taking part in events but having been running for just 8 months I've already missed over 2 months through injury and now I'm out for a least another month.

My training was unstructured at the start and that probably caused the initial problems, I came up with a plan then, started to mix it up a bit but the damage was already done, if I tried crossing 5k even on a slow run, if I tried doing any kind of speed or if I ran twice a week I'd be out for a few weeks again.

The idea is that if that pattern of injuries were to continue and I physically couldn't run long distances without doing damage, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to walk. I'm not looking to tick boxes or take shortcuts, I'm just looking to take part in events I had planned on running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If I didn't make it clear, or people didn't read before answering...... Yes I can run 5k in 22:40 (not exactly impressive) when fit but I'm struggling to stay injury free. I love taking part in events but having been running for just 8 months I've already missed over 2 months through injury and now I'm out for a least another month.

My training was unstructured at the start and that probably caused the initial problems, I came up with a plan then, started to mix it up a bit but the damage was already done, if I tried crossing 5k even on a slow run, if I tried doing any kind of speed or if I ran twice a week I'd be out for a few weeks again.

What kind of injuries are you getting? I presume you are going to a physio to get the issues sorted. If you are getting injured when you push the distance beyond 5k this could also happen with walking.

• Advertisement

happybob wrote: »
    Is it because it is participation in an event with company usually with a charitable purpose?

Again, each to their own and cannot prescribe what someone else might like, but there are specific challenge walks that would tick those boxes...

http://www.walkersassociation.ie/challenge/walk/calendar

Along with the numerous walks organised at local level or by walking clubs. And you could also do the charity thing, instead of saying "would you sponsor me to run a marathon but I won't be running".

The idea is that if that pattern of injuries were to continue and I physically couldn't run long distances without doing damage, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to walk. I'm not looking to tick boxes or take shortcuts, I'm just looking to take part in events I had planned on running.

Did DCM in under 4:30 the first time with a 5k of 23:10 at the time. Get a foam roller and do this once a day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0 also if you have an injury then go to a physio that is involved in athletics. I suspect that your issues were probably IT band like 99% of people starting off.

If the issue is how can you run a marathon without getting injuries then list your injuries and people will be able to suggest maintenance exercises to prevent them causing issues if possible.

groovyg wrote: »
    What kind of injuries are you getting? I presume you are going to a physio to get the issues sorted.

I have ankle ligament damage as well as a torn calf muscle and slight damage to the lower part of both calves. All these injuries keep popping up even after a solid month of rest. I'm seeing a physio now, just started this week. She told me there'd be no running for a while, no walking longer than 5k for the minute either.

She gave me ankle strengthening exercises to do and went through stretches for various muscles as well as the foam roller.

green123 wrote: »
    being able to walk for 6 hours is a non achievement for most people.

most people would be able to walk for 6 hours.

so what is the point ?

you want to brag about having done a marathon ?

i would say most of these kind of people were terrible at all sports when they were younger and now they want to do a marathon to try to prove something

That's a bit of a generalisation. Do you think everyone that runs a marathon to prove something? Surely people want to do one to be part of the buzz and atmosphere involved in such an event, that's certainly why I'd want to do one.

I was poor at some sports and pretty good at others, same as the average person I suppose.

That's a bit of a generalisation. Do you think everyone that runs a marathon to prove something? Surely people want to do one to be part of the buzz and atmosphere involved in such an event, that's certainly why I'd want to do one.

I was poor at some sports and pretty good at others, same as the average person I suppose.

I doubt there'd be much of a buzz at the back to be honest.
    If you check this years DCM results for example, Just 542 people finished over 6hrs and just 200 odd over 6:30,
    Compare that to the 5408 who finished between 4 and 5 hours.

Heading back home this year down the N11 I saw the backmarkers and walkers on about mile 23-24 and they were coming in 1s and 2s and most of the spectators appeared to have gone home. Looked like a lonely place to be honest. I guess that's why walkers often head off 2hrs early although that's against the rules and will get you DQ'ed.

I hadn't thought about it like that. Hopefully I'll get the all clear to run again in the new year anyway and build up my distances slowly to eventually run one. The walking or run/walk is a fall back plan. If I were to do that, I'd be starting behind all the runners, no point in holding up anyone faster than you. Even when I'm running at events I start with the walkers so I don't get in anyones way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I doubt there'd be much of a buzz at the back to be honest.
    If you check this years DCM results for example, Just 542 people finished over 6hrs and just 200 odd over 6:30,
    Compare that to the 5408 who finished between 4 and 5 hours.

Heading back home this year down the N11 I saw the backmarkers and walkers on about mile 23-24 and they were coming in 1s and 2s and most of the spectators appeared to have gone home. Looked like a lonely place to be honest. I guess that's why walkers often head off 2hrs early although that's against the rules and will get you DQ'ed.

Probably would still get a buzz in the first couple of miles but it wouldn't be worth the lonely last 20+

I've been in both categories mentioned above. The over 5 hour support wise starts tailing off just after half way. By the time you hit mile 23 it's a sad and lonely slog to the end. Even the finishing straight that year hadn't that many people there.

Coming in under the 5 hour was very different. Still a huge amount of support out there at the later stages and the finishing straight was a fantastic experience.

Have u done a half yet? Do u run any bit on grass? Does your physio run?

rom wrote: »
    Have u done a half yet? Do u run any bit on grass? Does your physio run?

The furthest I've run so far is 12km, 99% of my training is done on forest trails, gravel, mud and a little grass. The only time I'm on the road is for events like 5k, 10k or duathlons. I've done the Mide mud run and Hell & Back which would've on grass for the most part.

My physio does a little running and some duathlons, she's a pilates instructor too. She said she's not a running expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Just as an aside, to walk 26 miles , you do need a pretty reasonable degree of fitness. If you have any sort of an injury a walk of that distance will expose it ruthlessly. To walk 26 miles and get some sort of pleasure from it , you still have to train to do it. Different issues come into play , so the body has to be prepared and trained for staying moving for that length of time. And I don't agree that anyone can do it. My wife who is a fit woman walked it in 2010 in just over 5.30' she prepared properly for it by putting in long walks of over 18/20 miles. It made a difference and she sailed around quicker than some of the joggers. And she did enjoy it.

Advertisement