Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been running?

Options
  • 23-07-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Me, I hit my one year runniversary yesterday, went for a run to celebrate!

Made me wonder, how long everyone else has been running. Months? Years? Decades?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

coming up to five years this autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

11 months, Not very fast, not very far but loving it at the age of 46 !

About 5 years now. It has changed a lot in that time, starting off with the can I do 5k/can I do 10k in the first couple of years, to can I do a half marathon, to doing a marathon, then injury meant I avoided roads and went on mountains, and now it's longer distance trail runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

2 years since late June

When I started on that Thursday evening, on June 28 2012, I was initially focusing on keeping it up for one week. Never thought I'd be here more than 2 years later, still at it. It has changed my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Just over 18 months. Started December 30, 2012 as an early New Year's Resolution :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Im running 20 years this September but its 18 since I ran my first race The Dublin Marathon 96. The running scene has changed a lot in that time. Things that runners now take for granted didnt exist in 94 eg gels, technical fiber clothing, gps watches, i pods(I used to run with a walkman the size and weight of a concrete block) foam rollers, the internet.etc etc. The racing scene is completely different too, in my area there were about 5 races in the year, now its common to have 2 races a day on summer weekends. Like every walk of life most of the changes have been positive and natural progress but on the other hand some things have been lost and I think the sport of Athletics is failing to capitalise on the boom in recreational running. Thats a topic for debate in another thread tho so I wont derail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Im running 20 years this September but its 18 since I ran my first race The Dublin Marathon 96. The running scene has changed a lot in that time. Things that runners now take for granted didnt exist in 94 eg gels, technical fiber clothing, gps watches, i pods(I used to run with a walkman the size and weight of a concrete block) foam rollers, the internet.etc etc. The racing scene is completely different too, in my area there were about 5 races in the year, now its common to have 2 races a day on summer weekends. Like every walk of life most of the changes have been positive and natural progress but on the other hand some things have been lost and I think the sport of Athletics is failing to capitalise on the boom in recreational running. Thats a topic for debate in another thread tho so I wont derail.

Fancy starting a thread on that topic? I think it would be a great one to discuss.

On topic, I started running when I was 10 years old and ran with Dunleer AC until I was 13 and got distracted by music and teenager things. Started again 5 years ago when I was 21 and rejoined Dunleer 3 years ago, and enjoying (almost) every moment since then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Started running in Feb 2010, enjoying almost every min of it since :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Signed up for Mini Marathon in spring 2010 (and ran it as my first race in June 2010); didn't do much in 2010. Joined Fit 4 Life section of Raheny Shamrock in Feb 2011, and have been running regularly since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

2011 November: Started Couch 2 5k. Ran about 30 miles that year.
    2012: Forcefully held myself back from tackling DCM and just got the miles in and a few half marathons. Ran 800 miles.
    2013: Did a few halves and shorter races and a very comfortable DCM and ran 1,700 miles.
    2014: Nearly at 1000 miles for the year and focusing on 5 and 10ks.
    Enjoying every moment and it's changed my life too. Wish I'd discovered earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

No real background in the sport as a youngster, except an annual bash at the West Leinster Schools from 2000-2003, doing the walk to get the day off school. Managed to medal twice and went to Leinsters, with 5th being my best.

Started doing some road races/ fun runs in early 2008, so about 6 and a half years ago now. However I don't feel comfortable counting this period of my life as running as I didn't know what I was doing, didn't train properly, and with the exception of the crossing the finish line bit, didn't particularly enjoy it.

It's a month shy of 3 years since I properly put the head down and focused on 400m, so I guess I have been running 3 years.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Started Couch to 5k just over 6 years ago - needed to lose weight after kicking my World of Warcraft addiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

2 years this August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just about hit my 2 years anniversary, doesn't seem like it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

coming up to 3 years but realistically its more like 2 years this month ( the first year was very start stop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Im running 20 years this September but its 18 since I ran my first race The Dublin Marathon 96.

And here was me thinking I was the only nutter around here who never got sense and "lived" life at some stage :D.

Running 17 years since roughly May. Started as a hurdler however back then at around 11 or 12 you were in between hurdle heights so a year out of hurdling made me realise I didn't have the flat speed needed so I tried my hand at distance and been with it ever since (along with a bit of multi eventing and dabbling now and then)

To this day still loving every minute of it.

Like percy remember growing up and being told that "x loop is 8 miles" and you took their word for it no garmins or worry of pace just simply don't let the older people in the group drop you for as long as you could manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

4 years next Wednesday with a 14 month gap between October 2011 and January 2013. Only really training properly since last December though (2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

4 years this summer. Didn't enjoy the first year and half as I ran each run hard. Got a lot of guidance since improved as a result. Have had ups and downs but will be a runner for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

4 years this past April,
    started out couch to 5k on treadmill, got the bug, havent looked back,
    where once a 10k was a big deal to be well prepared for now I'd knock one out after my dinner on a weeknight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ran very badly when I was a youngster- my Dad trained the local Athletics club and I resented and hated running. It was in my teenage years :rolleyes:

Started running again 5 years ago to get fit for playing ball as I'd gone to pot after giving up GAA. Running properly nearly 3 years and off the smokes nearly 2 1/2 years. Wish I'd started back years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

BobMc wrote: »
    4 years this past April,
    started out couch to 5k on treadmill, got the bug, havent looked back,
    where once a 10k was a big deal to be well prepared for now I'd knock one out after my dinner on a weeknight :)

Awesome! Hoping to be where you are at someday! 10k is still a big challenge for me :D I can do 5k in 40mins, but struggle with the longer 9/10k distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

Awesome! Hoping to be where you are at someday! 10k is still a big challenge for me :D I can do 5k in 40mins, but struggle with the longer 9/10k distances.
    All comes in good time, my first year was a real killer, ya have to keep at it and allways small steps up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

3 months :eek:

Started the couch to 5k, I'm up to 20min runs at the moment but the hot weather is definitely slowing me down, I hope to catch this 'bug' soon that I hear runners talking about. I guess it just takes time, I am very unfit so to be able to run 20min is an achievement I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Almost 6 months of "outside" running, up till then I was able to do about 5k on a threadmil.

So far this year I've done about 8 races including two!! last week Liberties 6K and the Fingal 10K. Loving every minute of it. Long term aim is to get faster eg 45 min 10K (and to look a bit like a runner)...

Race series 10mile and half marathon to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Since I left the house....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I am running about 10 years now. I took it up to impress a boy (he liked sporty girls apparently!). Needless to say he wasn't impressed but I was hooked.

I love getting my runners on, iPod in and out the door. No plan, no time frame, just for the pure love of running!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

End of 2010/start of 2011. Since then there has been 3 5ks, several 8ks/10ks/10miles, 3 Warriors Runs, 3 Half Marathons, and 1 Full Marathon. In just over a few weeks running my First Adventure Race, the Gaelforce West, Warriors Run No4 hopefully a week later, and all being well, Half Marathon No4 in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

2007 gave up smoking. Ran my first 10k: 52 mins. Ran half marathon: 1:52.
    2008 Picked up a Garmin. Ran my second half marathon, first marathon: 3:25
    2014 Lost count of marathons. Garmin has tracked 16,445.14 miles of running. Permanently tired. Struggle going up the stairs. Still miss the cigarettes. Happier and healthier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Struggle going up the stairs.

Is that the drink or the running?

Do you now have a faster beer mile than your 2007 self mile PB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Started running when I turned 40, in 2006, ran DCM that year with longest training run before it at 10 miles.

Not much in 2007 and 2008 bar the DCM race series. Took things a bit more seriously in 2009 and 2010.

Set all of my PB's last year from 5K to the marathon...

Probably going to run until I cant anymore, or I'm 6 foot under !!!

Advertisement