Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

coolerboy wrote: »
    Will anyone here be doing much study over Christmas....☺✏

Absolutely not!

Christmas holidays should be spent with family, education is massively important but family should be number 1!

That and a spot of Netflix I suppose! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

A1 Physchem and Biology, delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Will anyone here be doing much study over Christmas....☺✏

Not a hope! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭burtslimpslon

Has anyone done their English exam? What did you have to do?
    all that's on mine is 1 King Lear and 1 Sylvia Plath question (both approx. 4 pages). Is this not really short for a Christmas exam? And we have 2 hours to do it, which seems like quite a bit considering geography is aiming for 1.5 pages in 12 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fortyfleurs

all that's on mine is 1 King Lear and 1 Sylvia Plath question (both approx. 4 pages). Is this not really short for a Christmas exam? And we have 2 hours to do it, which seems like quite a bit considering geography is aiming for 1.5 pages in 12 minutes.

Mine was same layout (1 KL question and 1 poetry) but we only had an hour and a half! Was very pushed for time as I spent way too long on poetry but and hour and a half is closer to the time you'll get in the actual exam than 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I was your teacher and had a big clatter of Christmas tests to correct before I had my holiday, I'd be making them short too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭burtslimpslon

spurious wrote: »
    If I was your teacher and had a big clatter of Christmas tests to correct before I had my holiday, I'd be making them short too.
    i suppose but the results don't have to be back until January 19th, some Irish teachers are even doing their classes oral after christmas which goes towards the Christmas exam mark

spurious wrote: »

Teachers get mid terms and summers off. I'm sure the stress and hustle of correcting long daunting and repetitive exams are compensated with that fact. Other jobs don't get this perk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

Teachers get mid terms and summers off. I'm sure the stress and hustle of correcting long daunting and repetitive exams are compensated with that fact. Other jobs don't get this perk.

Other jobs don't work as long of hours on average

Consonata wrote: »
    Other jobs don't work as long of hours on average

Being a teacher is a hard job, heck probably one of the hardest out there because you're relied upon to provide education to vast amounts of students and somewhat give a positive influence.

A lot of schools are around 8:30 - 4pm (depends on school...) and if we add two more hours due to class preparation for the next day and homework/test corrections... It's up to 6pm.

Yeah, that is a long day but all of the full time health care workers I know are on 8 - 8 shifts, office jobs 8 - 5, some programmers are 9 - 8 (obviously depends on the projects etc). Also, a lot of programmers I know and bank workers have no work on weekends, same as teachers.

Teachers have hours like everyone else, but I'll admit - it's no stress free walk in the park.

It's a job like any other.

• Advertisement

Mine was same layout (1 KL question and 1 poetry) but we only had an hour and a half! Was very pushed for time as I spent way too long on poetry but and hour and a half is closer to the time you'll get in the actual exam than 2 hours.

What kind of King Lear question did ye get?

Got 580 points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Got 580 points :)

Well done! How you do in maths☺

Well done! How you do in maths☺

Got a C1. Teacher wasn't happy with the class but I know it's because I didn't properly understand the questions... I'm gonna be more past paper focused after Christmas.

:D

Got an A1 in Irish, still dropping to ordinary though. Not worth the cramming.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Got a B1 in irish cos she changed the marking scheme so the part I did really well in she didn't even count :( would've gotten at least an A2 if she didn't change it

Beca19 wrote: »
    Got a B1 in irish cos she changed the marking scheme so the part I did really well in she didn't even count :( would've gotten at least an A2 if she didn't change it

What part did ye do well in?

What part did ye do well in?

You see I did the poetry before the comp because I had it just learned off perfectly and then I ended up not being able to finish the comp (losing Marks for the longest questions), but most people did it the other way round and ran out of time for the poetry so she didn't count the second poetry question, I was so angry :(

You see I did the poetry before the comp because I had it just learned off perfectly and then I ended up not being able to finish the comp (losing Marks for the longest questions), but most people did it the other way round and ran out of time for the poetry so she didn't count the second poetry question, I was so angry :(

Ah, hate it when that happens. Similar thing happened in geography for me.

I learnt a poetry answer word for word, it's 1 1/2 A4 page long.

Ah, hate it when that happens. Similar thing happened in geography for me.

I learnt a poetry answer word for word, it's 1 1/2 A4 page long.

It's so sickening! Ughh same, why I hate Irish.

It's so sickening! Ughh same, why I hate Irish.

The ordinary paper looks so easy, makes me happy :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Dropping to Ordinary Level Irish was the single best decision I have ever made. While my old HL class were learning off 4 page essays for the Christmas tests, we were watching Frozen, cause revision was really unnecessary :p

The ordinary paper looks so easy, makes me happy :D.

Ordinary Irish is so easy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

How do ye find chemistry??

And ag science specifically for getting a high mark? Is the course short

Conaaaa wrote: »
    How do ye find chemistry??

Chapters such as Moles and Thermochemistry are very easy in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

When is everyone back? I'm back the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Conaaaa wrote: »
    And ag science specifically for getting a high mark? Is the course short

Well in my opinion its really easy - if you work at it!!!!! The course isn't that short, but there is very little understanding to do (say compared to chemistry) just learning stuff off. I can definitely say there is some overlap with biology, and there's supposed to be some with geography (but I don't do geo so... :) ) The project is worth 25% which is handy, but your teacher corrects it so you can't really study it on your own and sit the exam, if that's your intention.
    Don't go in expecting to sail through it with no work though. About half my class have that mentality and they're failing....

I do both ag and chemistry. Ag is easier but chemistry more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Back the 6th :D

Sames.

• Advertisement

Is ag science as easy as biology

Advertisement