Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former FG CLLR up on corruption charges

Options
  • 08-05-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Should make for an interesting few weeks

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0508/waterford-councillor-corruption-trial.html

Fred Forsey Jnr, from Coolagh Road, Abbeyside, Dungarvan was a Fine Gael councillor on Dungarvan Town Council.
    Mr Forsey is charged with receiving three payments, one of €60,000 and two of €10,000 each, from a property developer in 2006.
    Waterford Circuit Court heard this morning the trial is expected to last at least three weeks and possibly up to six weeks.
    A jury has been sworn in and the trial is due to recommence this afternoon in Waterford.

Would love to know how long it took from the initial garda investigation to the current trial

Also anyone know whats happenned to the Olivia Mitchell probe, seems to be taking ages...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0509/1224315800748.html

you 'forgot' to mention that John Deasy FG TD reported it to the Garda.
    Waterford Circuit Court heard at Mr Forsey’s trial opening that, in April 2007, Jenny Forsey approached John Deasy TD and, as a result of their conversation, Mr Deasy went to the Garda and advised Ms Forsey, separated wife of Fred Forsey, to do likewise.

Mr Deasy said in evidence he had been approached by a property developer in summer of 2006 and asked to support a rezoning of lands outside Dungarvan. He later met Mr Forsey, then a town councillor, who told him that the rezoning could “create hundreds of jobs” for the area.

There were no specifics forthcoming, however, and he thought there was “no substance” to the plan.

“It was my opinion, and it’s still my opinion, that the reason for this was to inflate the price of the land,” said the TD from the witness box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

I read the article in the Indo on this. There seems to be an underlining suggestion of personal Animosity between Deasy and the CLLR. It is going to interesting to watch this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Any corrupt pol's of any hue should get jail and have their pensions/entitlements removed on conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

The Indo always try to deflect from FFails failings.
    The Deasy connection is pure soap opera and of little consequence as regards any wrong doing on Forsey's behalf.

I would love to see laws that treat fraud which effects hundreds and/or thousands as seriously as even a chap who breaks into houses gets treated.
    Wouldn't it be great to see a few untouchables behind bars rather than simply paying back, sometimes a portion of what they defrauded?

Consious breach of the public trust should be a jailing offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

The Deasy connection is pure soap opera and of little consequence as regards any wrong doing on Forsey's behalf.

I would love to see laws that treat fraud which effects hundreds and/or thousands as seriously as even a chap who breaks into houses gets treated.
    Wouldn't it be great to see a few untouchables behind bars rather than simply paying back, sometimes a portion of what they defrauded?

Yeah your right, "Consious breach of the public trust should be a jailing offence", but how is it enforced?
    Ml Lowry gets over 14k local votes yet he surely doesn't have the National public trust, so what should happen?
    Another question, how did the name Forsey arrive in Waterford? I'm not clannish but I'm sure it's not a strong name in FG let alone Waterford, maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Attenton Mods

This is a case on trial before a jury.

Be very careful in anything being posted other than actual evidence given beofre the jury

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

As nuac rightly points out, we are subject to certain rules regarding ongoing court cases.

Basically, when discussing the case, posters need to stick to the facts, as released from the court.

yes, it makes such discussions rather boring, but that is how it is really, and as always we cannot allow the site or you as a poster to be put at risk.

Cheers

DrG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I'm not sure I would dismiss John Deasy's actions as mere 'soap opera'!! He was informed of corruption, he did the right thing and went to AGS....it resulted in a prosecution for corruption and he did not allow the matter to go on forever, he reported it promptly and went on to give evidence. Is this not the standard we expect from our politicians and rarely get? I feel he displayed a fair bit of integrity here!

Other than that I could not agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

Wider Road wrote: »
    Another question, how did the name Forsey arrive in Waterford? I'm not clannish but I'm sure it's not a strong name in FG let alone Waterford, maybe I'm wrong.
    Not sure what point you are trying to make about the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

He has been found guilty:D

A former Fine Gael town councillor has been found guilty of corruptly accepting payments totalling €80,000 from a property developer in Waterford 6 years ago.
    Fred Forsey Junior of Coolagh Road in Dungarvan had denied 6 counts of accepting corrupt payments on 3 separate dates.
    The charges relate to periods in August, October and December of 2006.
    Today at Waterford Circuit Criminal Court the jury took under 2.5 hours to find Forsey guilty of all 6 counts.
    Judge Gerard Griffin adjourned sentencing on Forsey until next Thursday morning.
    He has been remanded on bail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Well, Shakespeare was right. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
    RT&#201 wrote:
    The former Fine Gael deputy mayor of Dungarvan has been found guilty on all six counts of having received corrupt payments from a property developer.

Fred Forsey Jr, 43, is to be sentenced next Thursday.

There was no objection to bail.

The jury took just three hours to return unanimous guilty verdicts on all six counts that he received corrupt payments totalling €80,000 from a property developer in 2006 to try to get lands rezoned outside of Dungarvan.

The maximum possible sentence is 10 years in jail.

Forsey Jr broke down in court after the verdicts were read out, as did family members.

A few minutes later, he drove out of the courthouse with his partner Karen Morrissey.

Forsey Jr’s former wife, Jenny, was not in court today.

It was her statements to gardaí which started the investigation and led to today's verdicts following an eight-day trial at Waterford Circuit Court.

Forsey Jr had accused her in court of being a liar.
    link

Husband leaves wife for much younger woman, she has dirt on him and lets him have it.

Makes you wonder how much other spouses know ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Looking forward to hearing his sentence. Let that just be the beginning. There are plenty more who should be facing jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Based on what I've been reading in the papers about the case, I can't help feeling it would make a great plot for a televised tragicomedy. Allegedly he jilted the missus and "went up in the years" with another lady, the two women ended up in a catfight, there were tensions between him and his party colleagues, he had bizzare plans for a property deal in Australia...:rolleyes:

He is, of course, innocent until proven guilty of wrongdoing, but it is already certain that he is no rocket scientist.:)

One of the funniest details to emerge in court was that the accused spent some of the money he allegedly received not on a trip to Vegas, Bangkok, Hawaii or some of the usual destinations for those who have had their hand in the cookie jar, but to Rome with the whole family to see the Pope.

Only in Ireland ...!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

rodento wrote: »
    He has been found guilty:D

A former Fine Gael town councillor has been found guilty of corruptly accepting payments totalling €80,000 from a property developer in Waterford 6 years ago.
    Fred Forsey Junior of Coolagh Road in Dungarvan had denied 6 counts of accepting corrupt payments on 3 separate dates.
    The charges relate to periods in August, October and December of 2006.
    Today at Waterford Circuit Criminal Court the jury took under 2.5 hours to find Forsey guilty of all 6 counts.
    Judge Gerard Griffin adjourned sentencing on Forsey until next Thursday morning.
    He has been remanded on bail.
    How many more of them are out there? From ALL parties.The only reason this came to light is because of his infidelity. Otherwise, we'd be non the wiser. So many crooked transactions like this take place in this corrupt country.It's about time jail sentences were handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Slow-Clap.gif

Finally. Can we get the rest behind bars now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I know him and his family well he passed me my driving test!

I cant say I wasnt surprised when all this came to light. What I would say is that he was naive, 2006 was still celtic tiger territory and people were turning a blind eye to such activity for years, to the extent that it was almost the norm!

Times are changed now, no one has money and people are mad for blood. I just hope that this is the start of it and more people that know things start to come forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Great result here , finally a politician gets convicted in a straightforward manner.

There are so many others , we know who they are . I would like to see them all behind bars.

raymon wrote: »
    Great result here , finally a politician gets convicted in a straightforward manner.

There are so many others , we know who they are . I would like to see them all behind bars.

Raymon, the problem is that we don't who they all are. There are so many others, but we are only touching the surface. I never heard of this ex-FG guy until a couple of weeks ago, how many more like him are there?

Raymon, the problem is that we don't who they all are. There are so many others, but we are only touching the surface. I never heard of this ex-FG guy until a couple of weeks ago, how many more like him are there?

Not correct

We know a lot of the bad eggs( in my opinion) already , Lowry, Bertie, Callely, Flynn , Flynn , Mitchell etc .

The problem is that nobody is brave enough to make a complaint against them.

Take Flynn for example . Why doesn't FF send him down by making a complaint about the farm money. Why did FG exonerate Mitchell when the report findings were clear.

Why is Lowry still in the Dail.

Bertie and Callely still swanning around north Dublin.

• Advertisement

Not correct

We know a lot of the bad eggs( in my opinion) already , Lowry, Bertie, Callely, Flynn , Flynn , Mitchell etc .

The problem is that nobody is brave enough to make a complaint against them.

Take Flynn for example . Why doesn't FF send him down by making a complaint about the farm money. Why did FG exonerate Mitchell when the report findings were clear.

Why is Lowry still in the Dail.

Bertie and Callely still swanning around north Dublin.

Raymon, did you ever hear of Fred Forsey before this case?

Never heard of him ...... what's your point ? Bringing prosecutions against politicians takes bravery. The FG TD who gave evidence was brave . We need more like him.

Never heard of him ...... what's your point ? Bringing prosecutions against politicians takes bravery. The FG TD who gave evidence was brave . We need more like him.

You said earlier, "They are so many others , and we know who they are".
    The problem is Raymon, we don't know who they all are. The ex-FG Councillor Fred Forsey proves that.

The problem is Raymon, we don't know who they all are. The ex-FG Councillor Fred Forsey proves that.

Agreed we dont know who they all are .

But the inaction in the cases we do know about is staggering.

Agreed we dont know who they all are .

But the inaction in the cases we do know about is staggering.

Next obvious question is why FG Minister Phil Hogan is stopping planning enquiries?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Next obvious question is why FG Minister Phil Hogan is stopping planning enquiries?

I would imagine that there are very good reasons if one scratches the surface - some people believe that it is only a matter of time before things emerge in regards big Phil. He himself sat on Kilkenny County Council until 2003.

I would imagine that there are very good reasons if one scratches the surface - some people believe that it is only a matter of time before things emerge in regards big Phil. He himself sat on Kilkenny County Council until 2003.

Phil is not a likable chap ,I definitely don't want to defend the guy , but are there real allegations against him ? Who are the "some people"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Whats the chances of him doing actual time for this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Borderfox wrote: »
    Whats the chances of him doing actual time for this?

Better than fair. Corruption, breach of public trust, if there is no jail you would expect the dpp to appeal for undue leniency. Especially after a long trial ie no remorse for what he did.

That aside, I can't help but feel that we are still fishing for minnows and leaving the prize catches alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The conviction is a start in the right direction and hopefully imprisonment will follow.When people see people who have power and influence and who abuse there power and influence been convicted of wrongdoing and sentenced to prison,Maybe then we/I will take governments seriously in tackling the serious real frauds going on in this country and not just blaming it all on social welfare cheats.

Advertisement