Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random question aimed at the smoothie savvy!

Options
  • 06-04-2014 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Have to make a quick everything-in-the fridge type smoothie tomo morn as I will be rushing, so my qtn is would the following work nutritionally/taste wise? Why or why not, opinions welcome!

1/2 tsp spirulina, 1/2 avocado, handful blueberries, 1/4 tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp cinnamon, small apple and pear, soy milk if needed and possible lemon juice/cocoa powder if spirulina is still overpowering.

New to the whole smoothie thing and still learning which foods compliment each other so would be interested to hear peoples knowledge on this :) thanks to anyone who replies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

arf91 wrote: »
    1/2 tsp spirulina, 1/2 avocado, handful blueberries, 1/4 tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp cinnamon, small apple and pear, soy milk if needed and possible lemon juice/cocoa powder

Are you going to juice the apple and pear first? It'd be pretty fiberous if you just lashed them into the blender. It doesn't sound like enough liquid if not, and IMHO soy milk is manky and afaik not particularly healthy either- full of sugar and not great for the hormones/digestion. You should have a look at some of the recipes in Jason Vale's Juicemaster books, I wouldn't reccomend the diet- it's a bit ridiculous, but the smoothies are tasty and nutritionally balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Are you going to juice the apple and pear first? It'd be pretty fiberous if you just lashed them into the blender. It doesn't sound like enough liquid if not, and IMHO soy milk is manky and afaik not particularly healthy either- full of sugar and not great for the hormones/digestion. You should have a look at some of the recipes in Jason Vale's Juicemaster books, I wouldn't reccomend the diet- it's a bit ridiculous, but the smoothies are tasty and nutritionally balanced.

Ah I picked up soy milk thinking it would be a good way to get some protein instead of tofu this week (I'm vegetarian) didn't take the time to research it much it was just handy, will definitely have to look into trying a different liquid. Maybe almond milk? Did get the unsweetened version but hopefully it won't be too rotten!
    Thanks for your reply. Ill check out Jason Vale for future concoctions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

If you're looking to boost protein nut butter can be really nice in a smoothie with banana and coconut milk or cows milk if you're not vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    If you're looking to boost protein nut butter can be really nice in a smoothie with banana and coconut milk or cows milk if you're not vegan.

I've been making homemade nut butter lately and had been wondering whether or not to throw it in, good to know thanks = )

Advertisement