Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched recently Benjamin Button...didn't think that much of it, overrated....i thought Forrest Gump or Bicentenial Man wrre superior.
    I also saw an ULTRA low budget movie called Kicking The Dog...sheesh, it had some interesting dialogue in a brief few scenes, but it was just consumed with frat boy sex talk...all the way through.

just watched Tron for the first time

its AMAZING, cheesey but short and sweet, told its story clearly,fantastic funny adaption of computers/games as they make there way to the central computer, graphics are amazing, grey suits not so good.

TRON is a totally underrated movie!....from a technological perspective it raised the bar, it was truely groundbreaking....just like Termintor 2 was for it's use of CGI.

The story is kinda crap, but i appreciate it from a technological perspective, the next evolutionary highpoint was The Last Starfighter.

Then we had Young Sherlock Holmes, the first true CGI character, and of course introduced Pixar.

Can i recomend y'all go rent The Mist....the ending is totally shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

The Bucket List - completely average

The Illusionist - fantastic recommend it to all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Watched The Godfather Set Again :D Truly A Classic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I saw "The 9th Company" on Film Four last week. Best descibed as a Russian "Full Metal Jacket". Follows a group of young army recruits through basic training and on to the Soviet war in Afghanistan. It is based on a real battle that took place in 1988. Good film.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I saw "The 9th Company" on Film Four last week. Best descibed as a Russian "Full Metal Jacket". Follows a group of young army recruits through basic training and on to the Soviet war in Afghanistan. It is based on a real battle that took place in 1988. Good film.

I saw this as well, the battle scenes were very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I saw this as well, the battle scenes were very impressive.
    Me To

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Watched The Wrestler tonight. Fantastic acting by Rourke but storyline felt a bit flat at times. Worth a watch though.

Just back from Knowing and I have to say that I absolutly loved it. it's one of the most refreshing and original sci fi films that I have seen in a long, long time. While not quite up there with Proyase's Dark City it's not too far off.

• Advertisement

sillyputty wrote: »
    The Illusionist - fantastic recommend it to all

+1 on that. Amazing film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Crank High Voltage again last night.

Other than that, 'Role Models' I think is about it recently.

There's a chance I watched the two Harold & Kumar movies, Jay & Silent Bob, some Dave Chappell crap but I'm not sure :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Watched The Wrestler, as was said, great performance from Rourke, but everything else about it was forgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind - really enjoyed this

Spirited Away - great also

Seven Pounds - not so great, i was skipping ahead of the predicatble scenes just to get to the end

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Max Payne. Really wish I could have that time back:mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Monster Vs Aliens 3D. If it weren't for the 3D the film would really having nothing going for it. It's a quite bland and unoriginal film lacking a distinct voice. My biggest gripe was just how much more could have been done with the 3D technology but wasn't even attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

'Burn After Reading' - really funny - no-one's as good at swearing as Malkovich. Also funny and sweary, 'In Bruges', which I watched for the first time last week. And two Billy Wilder classics that I hadn't seen for ages - 'Double Indemnity' and 'Sunset Boulevard'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hot Rod-Kinda cheesy but it had its moments and did make me laugh now and again so it was worth the watch.

Last night I watched Babe, Drillbit Taylor, Back To The Future and Knocked Up.

Babe I watched out of complete boredom and thought it was quite good. I'd seen it before but I never really appreciated it until now. Still hasn't deferred me from eating pork mind you.

Drillbit Taylor was ok. Few laughs here and there but it wasn't amazing by any means. Made we want to hit someone though by the end of it. Not because it was so bad but there's a strong theme of violence embedded in there.

Back To The Future.... Well it's a timeless film really isn't it? :)

Knocked Up was very very good. I'd highly recommend it. There was a few films last year that touched on pregnancy but I think this was the best one. Very very funny and extremely heartwarming. They manage to mix serious issues with comedy extremely well. I'd definitely check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Darjeeling Limited
    My Neighbour Totoro

Both utterly fantastic. Great for lifting the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Last night i watched 'Cleaner' on Sky with Samuel L Jackson and Eva Mendes, it was average, i have seen far better thrillers.

sillyputty wrote: »
    Last night i watched 'Cleaner' on Sky with Samuel L Jackson and Eva Mendes, it was average, i have seen far better thrillers.

Thinking about watching that myself tonight actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Last night I made a a date with Eacape From New York, first time I'd watched in about 15 years. Rather enjoyed it, obviously the future didn't quite work out that way but its always fun looking back on the future as projected in the past.

Also caught up with Children of Men last week, very good I have to say after a while I nearly forgot it was all makey-upy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Watched The Perfect Storm on TV last night, quite enjoyed it too.

Just watched Back To The Future Part 2.

Wasn't as good as the first but still very very good. I wish I had a flux capacitator to travel backwards and forwards in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ended up watching "Trading places" on sky one at the weekend.

had forgotten what a really good film it is ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

Saw 'Observe and Report' last night - really enjoyed it! Wasn't expecting it to be such a black comedy but it really was! Same league as Bad Santa. Also, I have a huge thing for Seth Rogen so that made it even better for me ;)

And just saw 'State of Play' there tonight. Enjoyed it, even if it did confuse me a little. Little bit too long though. Helen Mirren annoyed me hugely in it.

Death Race (aka Death Race 3000):There was no real storyline but who needs one with the action and special effects that are in this.Great fun to watch.8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Someone mentioned Donnie Darko in another thread, so I watched that again this evening, several years after the previous first time. It's both simpler and more complex than I remembered. I should go to sleep, but I can't, not yet.
    The whole "tangent universe" thing reminds me of one of Terry Pratchett's books, Mort, where the universe is also "split" by someone not dying when they're "supposed" to. In the book there's a "front" where the universes rub up against each other, but in this case, Donnie seems to be inhabiting a tangent universe, a split in the space-time continuum.

My main source of confusion is about what Donnie actually did at the end, if anything. I mean, he's been attacked, his girlfriend has been killed, yet he seems happy somehow, knowing he can "make it right". Did he cause the turbulence that ripped the engine from the plane, sending it back in time, cutting off the tangent universe by killing himself?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Six Shooter. Short film directed by the In Bruges director. Brendan Gleeson's in it and it's set on a train in Wexford. Very funny, got it on DVD in Laser (in Dublin) for a fiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

observe & report in the cinema. I would like my money back please. fail.

national trease BoS
    tDK

@ *Simone*
    i love black comedies but my god O&R was an epic fail by Rogan. Didn't warm to it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

kaimera wrote: »
    observe & report in the cinema. I would like my money back please. fail.

Oh no, how can you say that! Not a fan of twisted black comedies then? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Superbad-Hilarious, funniest film I've watched in ages
    Rise of the Footsoldier-Very good, good fight scenes and acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Taken: ABsolute rubbish, one of the most ridiculous plotlines ive ever seen, neeson was ridiculous, it was jsut pure crap. Cant believe besson can do both Leon and this muck

Almost Famous: personal favourite, love the music, Kate Hudson and the story even if the main guys a little annoying. Seymour Hoffman is fantastic in it too.

Cloverfield: Enjoyable, pretty much what i exected. Dont think it slives up to its hype but i still enjoyed it.

Audition: Actually think this film gets better every time you watch it, tho its not the type of movie people are generally rushing back to see. Fantastic the way it changes tack halfway thru.

Superbad/Forgetting Sarah Marshall: LOVE both of them, bloody hilarious and imo better than any of the frat pack comedies anyday.

Short Cuts: Very good, great cast, great performances, you cant feel the 3 hours flying by its that enjoyable.

Battle Royal: Infinitely watchable, must have seen it nearly ten times at this stage, its savage.

Watching State of Play at the moment, seems quite good if a little by the numbers. Very all the presidents men-like so far

I saw "What Dosen't Kill You" , it was ok...cast was pretty good. I also saw "Legally Blondes" LOL....i swear those English twins were 100% based on Sam and Amanda from Big Brother 8!!

Soon as i saw them, with all the pink and syncronised talking i thought...twinnes :-)
    It's absoulte fluff for 10-12 year olds girls...but the script writers did use genuine English actors and they did get the British dialogue correct, words we'd use, Beckham playing for Galaxy etc.

Franklyn....very good movie IMO, i also saw The Last Word with Wynona Rider...kinda interesting premise, guy writes suicide notes, he meets with people before they kill themselves to flesh out there final words and he gets paid etc.

Things is, that aspect could have been explored further...the morality of it, but it was more about the writer meeting one of his dead clients sister and the romance that develops and how he tries hide from her what he does for a living....it was ok but not great, Wynona looked amazing....i swear that woman just gets better with age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

'Taken'-I enjoyed it immensely, I know it was far fetched, no one's that hard or deadly at fighting except maybe Chuck Norris:D.
    'Drillbit Taylor'-just ok, my wee fella enjoyed it.
    'Cleaner'-I thought it was good, kept me interested the whole way through but didn't really like the way
    it ended up with his mate killing your one's husband 'cos he thought he'd forced her to have an abortion. It would've suited the storyline better if it'd turned out that he'd killed him to stop him spilling the beans
    'The Pianist'-Good, sad story. Slow moving though I don't mind that in Holocaust films...creates a believable atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I`m ashamed to say the last film I watched was Twilight.
    Seriously thinking about renting Changling next though.

I thought Twilight was HIGHLY overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

watched "Visitor Q". what a seriously messed up film. really enjoyed it :pac:

definitely not for everyone though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I thought Twilight was HIGHLY overrated.

Highly overrated hardly covers it.
    It was dire. Nothing happened, several times.

• Advertisement

Yes Man-thought it was quite funny and i enjoyed it so 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

a film that i have watched recently was ''rise of the footsolider''
    have to say not a bad film at all
    also saw ''the business'' there the other night

yous might thing its strange comming from a dub but i enjoy watching english films (only gangster ones and nothing that has to do with how the english treated us years ago)

Last night I watched Shoot 'Em Up and Little Miss Sunshine.

Shoot 'Em Up is really great fun. There's not much of a story but then again it was intentionally written like that. Action, action and more action. Well worth a watch.

Little Miss Sunshine is a really fantastic film. Heartwarming and extremely hilarious in parts. I'd definitely check this one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scull2009

Fanboys - some v funny bits, especailly the fat boy from Balls of Fury, i could laugh at him all day. reminded me a bit of that film about kiss the band where the boys travel to see them - Detroit Rock City i think its called.
    Donnie Brasco - great show, undercover cop in mafia.
    Fast and Furious - alright, not that good, suppose you dont expect much when you go to see it.
    Glengarry Glen Ross - not much happens in it but some of the put downs and cursing in it are funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Saturday Night: Encounters at the End of the World, the new Werner Herzog documentary about the people of Antarctica. One particularly personal surprise: one of my favourite musicians, Henry Kaiser, didn't just co-write the soundtrack (as he did for Grizzly Man): he appears in the film, produced the film, and took all the spectacular underwater footage. :cool:

Sunday Night: Natural Born Killers, listening to Oliver Stone's commentary track. I didn't realise how important colour was e.g. when everything goes green, be prepared for something sick. It's been at least 5 years since I last watched it, and the DVD has no subtitles - so I didn't have any dialogue, just the ultra-violence. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Withnail and I - Definitely deserving of its cult status... Well recommended!

James and the giant peach - Watched this in anticipation of Coraline, pretty entertaining, but the actor who played James' bugged the ****e out of me for some reason... Especially in the musical sections!

Princess Mononoke - Trying to get my lady interested in anime and this seemed like as good a starting point as any... Essential stuff!

Sympathy for Lady Vengence - Great movie, but I found it to be quite disjointed... Even on the second viewing

Chocolate - Pretty ****ing ridiculous plot, but some fantastic choreography and set pieces more than made up for it

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Wolverine - really enjoyed this movie. Can't really understand the bad press I saw about the movie.

Splinter - A good horror movie. Liked the idea of the creature.

Baby Mama - just an average comedy. Expected to be better, especially as I enjoy Tina Fey in 30 rock.

The Ruins - Another horror film, and the creature is somewhat similar to the one in splinter. But still an enjoyable movie.

Bangkok Dangerous - the nick cage version. Definitely going to track down the original version, as I wasn't that impressed with this version.

Also rewatched Constantine and Police Academy.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Gonna watch Donnie Darko Director's Cut soon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Gonna watch Donnie Darko Director's Cut soon.....

Whatever you do, don't watch it with the director's commentary on... Damn near ruined the film for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

tman wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't watch it with the director's commentary on... Damn near ruined the film for me!

Sounds like common sense to me, I never would!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement