Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a 6 week Plan

Options
  • 02-04-2014 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Need some ideas for an energy boost! Difficult times ahead. I have a full time job that is quite demanding, lectures 4 evenings a week and exams in 6 weeks. I find that I am "running on empty" most of the time. Even when I find time to sit and study, my productivity is way down. I feel like I need to boost my diet to help improve my energy levels. All starts from within and all that. I've cut my drinking down to once a week, and off the cigarettes. Also increased water intake.

Anyone any ideas for meals that are high energy/good brain food etc? I'm trying to avoid the "I need coffee and chocolate for an instant fix" cycle, which can be more damaging.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Cant help with the diet but definitely get some fresh air every day. I know you are up to your eyes with every thing but getting outside for a bit of exercise, even 20 minutes will energise you and help with concentration. Good luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How much are you sleeping? You might just be doing too much from what you have posted,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

How much are you sleeping? You might just be doing too much from what you have posted,

I find it really hard to sleep, especially since I gave up drinking. I am so used to having a few glasses of wine and just crashing as soon as my head hits the pillow. Now, I cant sleep before 1 or 2, and then have to drag myself up at 7 30! :(

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I find it really hard to sleep, especially since I gave up drinking. I am so used to having a few glasses of wine and just crashing as soon as my head hits the pillow. Now, I cant sleep before 1 or 2, and then have to drag myself up at 7 30! :(

That's most likely your issue so. Try and avoid tv/laptop for 30 mins before bed, try reading to settle yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What's your diet like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What's your diet like?

Typical day:

07:30 coffee
    09:00 2 coffees
    11:00 porridge with semi-skmmed milk and coffee
    14:00 sandwiches or pasta mug shot
    16:00 coffee
    18:45 flask of coffee and bar of chocolate for energy
    21:00 dinner - usually rice with salad and meat, or pizza (terrible I know)

Throw in a few low fat energy drinks and thats pretty much the picture.

I'm no dietician but....it looks like your blood sugar is pretty unstable for most of the day. That's not going to help.

There's an awful lot of coffee there. People use coffee so often to perk them up but if you're having a lot of coffee you're stimulating your adrenal glands a lot to the point where they'll be asked to produce adrenaline and won't have much to give. And neither will you.

I know you probably love a good coffee but try reducing it a bit and ditch the energy drinks altogether. They're doing the opposite to what you want them to.

Then tidy up the lunch. There are plenty of things that you can have ready in no time that will make bringing a lunch with you a lot better for you.

Your blood sugar is pretty unstable for most of the day. That's not going to help.

There's an awful lot of coffee there which isn't going to help. People use coffee so often to perk them up but if you're having a lot of coffee you're stimulating your adrenal glands a lot to the point where they'll be asked to produce adrenaline and won't have much to give. And neither will you.

I know you probably love a good coffee but try reducing it a bit and ditch the energy drinks altogether. They're doing the opposite to what you want them to.

Then tidy up the lunch. There are plenty of things that you can have ready in no time that will make bringing a lunch with you a lot better for you.

I would agree with all of this but realistically if you are sleeping 5.5 hours, working a full day and then working more in the evening you will be wrecked even with a very clean diet.

I would agree with all of this but realistically if you are sleeping 5.5 hours, working a full day and then working more in the evening you will be wrecked even with a very clean diet.

Fo sho.

I eat pretty well but I've been sleeping like the opposite of a log lately and been tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

You've alot on! To reiterate what SamforMayo said above, try to squeeze a 20 minute walk or something in in the evenings...maybe even after the lecture. It'll help you switch off, clear your head and tire your body out a bit which should help your sleeping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement