Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Slick is "Out of Control"

Options
  • 02-05-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 114015.ece

It was going to be the worst one of all time when they thought it was releasing 5000 a day but now its up to 25,000 and BP say it'll be 3 months before they can drill another well to stop it, its the size of Ireland already. This is messed up tbh :eek:

BP are going to get hammered for this, Id say the price of oil is going to start rising this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a fairly small production rig to be honest so can't see if having much of an impact on the supply of oil globally.

Why don't they torpedo the pipe leaking the oil instead of waiting around for ideas for the next 3 months while the area gets ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

madness alright, gona be some cleanup and some bill for BP. HATE THAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa gets upset about an oil spill and Homer says "Don't worry honey there's plenty more oil".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Don't worry Thargor, there's plenty more oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

well I don't give a damn unless the slick forms a feckin cloud that threatens those airplanes next week and disrupts my plans for a week away in the sun:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

well I don't give a damn unless the slick forms a feckin cloud that threatens those airplanes next week and disrupts my plans for a week away in the sun:D

Well if I had planned a holiday to the Florida Pan Handle or the Florida Keys, I'd be pretty worried. Aside from the fact this in an ecological disaster. To be honest I don't know why they cannot fabricate the funnel to gatch the leaking oil quicker. This is turning into a total disaster and there seems to be little urgency

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Im going to Nassau. I assume its not going to reach there. If it does its one huge oil slick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thargor wrote: »

It was going to be the worst one of all time when they thought it was releasing 5000 a day but now its up to 25,000 and BP say it'll be 3 months before they can drill another well to stop it, its the size of Ireland already. This is messed up tbh :eek:

BP are going to get hammered for this, Id say the price of oil is going to start rising this week.

Mother of all gushers could kill Earth's oceans
    http://pesn.com/2010/05/02/9501643_Mother_of_all_gushers_could_kill_Earths_oceans/

Its now 200,000 gallons of oil per day into the Gulf and dose not look good.

"Imagine a pipe 5 feet wide spewing crude oil like a fire hose from what could be the planets' largest, high-pressure oil and gas reserve. With the best technology available to man, the Deepwater Horizon rig popped a hole into that reserve and was overwhelmed. If this isn't contained, it could poison all the oceans of the world"

This gulf ocean is linked to the rest of the oceans all over the world.

Desaster explained how it happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

I'm worried that BP won't get punished as much as they should because the fines imposed on them will have an adverse effect on the price they charge for oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm worried that BP won't get punished as much as they should because the fines imposed on them will have an adverse effect on the price they charge for oil

A friend of mine works in the industry (not BP), she says it's common knowledge that BP don't spend enough on their security against these sorts of events, and that they don't care anyway because the cost of cleaning up the mess is cheaper than having higher safety standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Well, oil be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Ha, I just read this post from the 2nd.... better check out the news bud

A friend of mine works in the industry (not BP), she says it's common knowledge that BP don't spend enough on their security against these sorts of events, and that they don't care anyway because the cost of cleaning up the mess is cheaper than having higher safety standards.

Apparently in Europe and Asia emergency shut off valves are manditory on all wellheads, not so on in this case. The US slipped up on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It seem bad alright, maybe the Mayans was right about 2012 after all.
    Once the seas are dead half of mankind will follow pretty swiftly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Humans are such unconscionable arseholes. :(

biko wrote: »
    It seem bad alright, maybe the Mayans was right about 2012 after all.
    Once the seas are dead half of mankind will follow pretty swiftly.
    I didnt want to mention the part about the Book of Revelations and 1/3 of the worlds sea life dying out! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Yeah sure, superstitious idiots in the jungle predicted the failure of an oil rig.

This 2012 stuff is crap for crap lovers.

And the bible, superstitious idiots in the desert.

There was a similar incident where 130 million barrels of oil were released into the ocean, and was stopped. Last week the volcano's were going to kill us all, I think you people just want the world to be trying to kill you for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I was going to say, doesn't oil float on water so the fish would be underneath it.
    But if the oil can block the sunlight from reaching the plankton, then that would have a huge impact on the food chain.

I was going to say, doesn't oil float on water so the fish would be underneath it.
    But if the oil can block the sunlight from reaching the plankton, then that would have a huge impact on the food chain.
    I think it blocks oxygen penetrating the surface too and dissolving for the fish to breathe?

Bonito wrote: »
    I think it blocks oxygen penetrating the surface too and dissolving for the fish to breathe?

Flying fish shouldn't have a problem. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

this is going to be a massive ecological disaster if it keeps going. the warm waters of the gulf are home to a huge population of dolphins, turtles, sharks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

The worst this is we aint gonna see the full extent of this for another few days, weeks, possibly months. Everyones right,
    we (bp) slipped up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

This 2012 stuff is crap for crap lovers.

Spent 20 seconds wondering what a person's sexual abilities had to do with 2012:o:o

nibtrix wrote: »
    Spent 20 seconds wondering what a person's sexual abilities had to do with 2012:o:o
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Humans are such unconscionable arseholes. :(

Empty stereotypes:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

"Imagine a pipe 5 feet wide spewing crude oil like a fire hose from what could be the planets' largest, high-pressure oil and gas reserve.

Is it five feet wide? I didnt think they were that wide. Although there is no scale to the photo.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/oil_spill_approaches_louisiana.html#photo9

Apparently in Europe and Asia emergency shut off valves are manditory on all wellheads, not so on in this case. The US slipped up on this one.

I think they did try to activate one.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/oil_spill_approaches_louisiana.html#photo10

Theta wrote: »
    Is it five feet wide? I didnt think they were that wide. Although there is no scale to the photo.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/oil_spill_approaches_louisiana.html#photo9
    I can't believe that they are still using DC3's as work horses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Actually that is often the issue when it comes to sustainable development in relation to the environment. Companies do not safeguard adequately against the potential ill affects on the environment that result from a catastrophe because, as you (or your friend) say/s, the financial cost of dealing with the mess (fines, torts, clean up etc.) seems cheaper than proactively taking security measures.
    Also, when it comes to political pressure in forcing the companies to take these safety measures often there are negative repurcussions to be felt from the enforcement. For example, a smaller nation that is heavily reliant on the company (the jobs created by the company, the taxes paid by them, the price of the product (e.g. oil) etc.) will be economically and therefore politically unmotivated to take the steps necessary to enforce the implementation of the proactive safety measures. The governments, like the companies, would rather take the risk that nothing catastrophic will happen. It is just the way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I feel sad at the thought of the loss of wildlife over there. It's catastrophic already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Thargor wrote: »

nah not really. under current US law the maximum they are liable for is 75 million dollars. a retrospective law is in the works but in politics, these things can take years and years.

Advertisement