Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

No it’s a different brand & half the price of Ben & Jerry’s

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/summer-ice-cream/vemondo-vegan-ice-dessert/p52709

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just got Elmlea plant based cream - takes a fair bit longer than normal cream to stiffen.

Had an apple and "cream" slice and it was delicious.

EDIT: From what I remember, the taste is very similar to real cream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah that stuff is very nice! I like to use that cream to make garlic gratin potatoes too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now that in the shops in a 35 km radius from my house the price of the main barista oat milk has gone to an eye-watering €3.09 a litre, I've tried the Supervalu "Barista Oat Drink". It has a new carton, it's white with a coffee cup at the bottom and anthracite scribbles at the top. I must say it's a vast improvement on what it was last year, they must have changed the ingredients a fair bit. And it's way cheaper than Califia, Alpro, or Oatly.

Also, I tried the Vemondo (Lidl) smoked tofu yesterday - a drop of oil in a pan, a fair bit of garlic granules, the slices of tofu and a good soak of dark soy sauce - umami central! Highly recommended. It doesn't even squeak under your teeth, which is something I really don't like about tofu.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the new Tesco oat milk is quite nice and cheap, my girlfriend orders like 20 litres of it to be delivered at a time haha.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is that to use in coffee or in general, like on cereal?

Used for everything, wouldn't have tried foaming it though.

I find the barista much better for coffee than the normal oat milk, even without foaming it. The normal oat milk is great but not for hot beverages, I find it tastes "greasy", whereas the barista oat milk doesn't. Must be the pea proteins and the other ingredients.

Post edited by New Home on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Escapees

Just a random heads-up that Cadburys Bourneville fingers now appear to have reverted back to being vegan again, with the whey powder no longer listed in the ingredients. At least this is the case for the packs currently for sale with the soccer World Cup competition.

Hi folks, I was in Lidl this evening. In the fridge where they keep their "limited edition" special offers (e.g. Greek/Italian/Spanish/Mexican/Polish/French/etc week) I found a box of "Festive Platter Vegan "Cheeses", 4 pieces (400g in total) for €7.99. The flavours are Vintage Cheddar (2), Blue - although about only 1/4 as blue as that in the picture, unfortunately (1), Mushrooms and Truffle (4) and Cheddar with Apricots (3). The numbers listed are my order of preference from nicest (1) to passable (4).

We had one of those “thanks plants” everyday roasts last night for dinner.

very nice.

Yip.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I didn't care too much for the Lidl frozen nut roast. A bit too mushy.

I'm lacking the right food processor to make my own ☹️

I do have an electric chopper though.... Could it work for a nut roast? I don't mind some manual chopping either. Just never tried. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Escapees

I do a nut roast using grated sweet potato as a base and adding all the nuts whole along with some other veg. Fry and then oven cook etc. It's a much more moist and less strong sort of nut roast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Anybody tried the vegan Kit-Kats?

Not yet. Have you seen them in shops? Where? Cheers.

Yes. They’re nice. Might be a bit smaller than the original kitkat. I got them in SuperValu a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Seen them in Spar as I was leaving yesterday. Didn't have time to queue again.

Yeah they are great, extremely similar to the original.

I hope this is the right thread (seems fairly quiet in this forum recently), but veggie burgers.

I've never been great at making them (never tasted like the ones I get in restaurants), so am asking if anyone can recommend a decent veggie burger from the shops or supermarkets.

Linda's ones are €2.65 for 2 (Dunnes), while these Beyond Burgers are a whopping €7.79 for 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Linda McCartney Mozzarella burgers are my go to, ridiculously unhealthy, but nice every once in a while. Still need a bit of salad and raw onion

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Advertisement