Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Antisocial behaviour Perth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

04072511 wrote: »
    Thought I'd add a bit of balance to this by showing that there are also d1ckheads from Australia, doing exactly what the Irish are doing, being pr1cks in somebody else's country.

I don't think balance is necessary as it looks like "yeah well they do it too" justification, but that could be just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't think balance is necessary as it looks like "yeah well they do it too" justification, but that could be just me.

No, not at all. It's not justification at all.

Just would like to remind some of the moralistic, Irish bashers, Aussie-lovers here, that they are by no means a superior people to us, incapable of also being a bunch of pr1cks in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And what's the relevance of that to Irish people acting the bollox in Perth?
    It might be relevant to some of our amateur social science analysts on here. Where there are backpackers, there is rowdiness. The more backpackers, the more rowdiness. These ones just happen to be from Ireland, so it brings out the self-loathing and hand-wringing in some.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CiaranC wrote: »
    It might be relevant to some of our amateur social science analysts on here. Where there are backpackers, there is rowdiness. The more backpackers, the more rowdiness. These ones just happen to be from Ireland, so it brings out the self-loathing and hand-wringing in some.

Sure, that is the case, but the topic at hand isn't about backpackers in London, Berlin, Paris or anywhere else. It's about incidents in Perth so anything else is just a needless deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Zico

CiaranC wrote: »

That's a guilty post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

The Australians are no saints. Aussie male backpackers in Europe tend to be rowdy, loud and obnoxious.

http://www.thingsihateaboutbackpacking.com/?p=3

The only Australian i remember being convicted of anything over here for the past 10 years was some big crusty giving a American Air Force plane a few hits with something or other in Shannon, but then again this thread is not about Australians abroad its just another Knacker in Oz thread

Edit, I just bothered reading your Link now, just wondering if you did to? with lines like

"Aussie guys steal all the broads. It’s not hard to figure out. Their accent is pretty money. I can admit that. For the most part, they’re ripped, largely due to knowing how to surf and excelling at summer sports, much to the chagrin of other backpacking males. They’re a nation of X-Gamers. They’re fearless and cheesy. Chicks dig fearlessness and cheese. Canadian guys are particularly prone to hating Aussies since, given their propensity for board sports and presumably cool personae, Aussies regularly invade the Canadian slopes to snowboard and bed local girls - enjoying much success in both pursuits."

"Yet these perpetually sunburnt ruffians are still drinking at 6 a.m. when the wooden retaining fences swing open. Those who slept slept poorly, cold and in the streets for chrissakes."

Its not even a news story, its just a generalization, we do get the chicks in Europe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When i was in college (1st year 10 years ago), going on a J1 visa to the States and wrecking apartments and generally be drunken messes for a summer was the thing to do. It was one of the reasons I never went on one myself, I didn't want to be associated.

Some of the behaviour I have seen in Melbourne has embarrassed me as an Irishman but little of it has surprised me.

I had the good fortune to visit Aus for an long holiday back in 2000, I was living in Boston at the time.

I started and finished my trip in Bondi Junction.

In my years in Boston the carry on I saw by Irish J1 students was nothing compared to the carry on by the young Irish in Bondi

And like one poster said, they spent their whole WHV there and never say any of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

From what I have seen, a lot of issues stem from when bouncers or bar staff refuse service to drunk people or request that they leave the premises.

A lot of the issue actually stem from bouncers getting out of line and being physically abusive. I'm not talkign about specifically in realtion to the irish but in all sorts of places I've been.

The Aussie wrote: »
    The only Australian i remember being convicted of anything over here for the past 10 years was some big crusty giving a American Air Force plane a few hits with something or other in Shannon, but then again this thread is not about Australians abroad its just another Knacker in Oz thread

Edit, I just bothered reading your Link now, just wondering if you did to? with lines like

"Aussie guys steal all the broads. It’s not hard to figure out. Their accent is pretty money. I can admit that. For the most part, they’re ripped, largely due to knowing how to surf and excelling at summer sports, much to the chagrin of other backpacking males. They’re a nation of X-Gamers. They’re fearless and cheesy. Chicks dig fearlessness and cheese. Canadian guys are particularly prone to hating Aussies since, given their propensity for board sports and presumably cool personae, Aussies regularly invade the Canadian slopes to snowboard and bed local girls - enjoying much success in both pursuits."

"Yet these perpetually sunburnt ruffians are still drinking at 6 a.m. when the wooden retaining fences swing open. Those who slept slept poorly, cold and in the streets for chrissakes."

Its not even a news story, its just a generalization, we do get the chicks in Europe though.

How would you know what Australian backpackers are like? You just admitted in a different thread that you are not interested in travel, and much prefer the solitude of camping and fishing.

I’ve travelled. A lot. Been to 26 countries, and while it is a generalisation, I would agree that Australian backpacker GUYS are as loud, rowdy and obnoxious as their Irish counterparts.

Mellor wrote: »
    A lot of the issue actually stem from bouncers getting out of line and being physically abusive. I'm not talkign about specifically in realtion to the irish but in all sorts of places I've been.

Bouncers here do things that are criminal offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some of the things I've seen have been ridiculous. A lot of the time the drunken asshole is the one at fault, but i've seen cases where the bouncers were really out of line.
    I think because australian laws are far stricter on service of alcohol, and these laws ahve to be enfoprced in busy areas, that bouncers end up with more power naturally.
    Most are probably never get out of line, but the oens that do are the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Just to make it clear, this is about anti-social behaviour of Irish people in Perth.
    We all know very well that Australians are no saints when abroad, and that is up to the police of that country to police them, as seen fit.
    It doesn't matter how XZY behave in London or wherever, as that does not have any real influence on our life here.
    But it does matter how Irish XYZ behaves as like it or not, it's our reputation at stake. If landlords, employers, immigration and police all start to put us in one 'bad' bucket, then we will all suffer.

So let's stick to the Irish people, rather than Australians backpackers.

If you believe the Australian police or people are over reacting, then that is perfectly fine once your post is civil and respectful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

^^Thats it.......Sort em out Hussey.

local.php?image=1207199744

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

Hey all, haven't been here in a while. My brother sent this to me, I live in Cairns on a 457 Visa, sponsored working for a company. Anyway, I have to agree, I don't associate anymore with our own over here because all they seem to do is cause trouble, start bar fights and bring others down. Started hanging out with neighbours over Xmas, turn out to be a bunch of drug dealers, had a couple of beers with a subcontractor's labourers, they start a bar fight and I hear of another guy that tries to defraud the company I work for. Also heard guys I went to college with are under suspicion of tax evasion with one in court for hitting a cop aswell.

It has made me come to the conclusion that I can't really associate with Irish people in Australia. It seems Oz gets alot of the dregs of Ireland. It doesn't matter if they are educated or not, everyone I know or knew caused hassle. One bunch even tried to steal my car, because it was better than his. At this stage, my boss asks me to recommend people from home for engineering jobs and I can't because I don't know what they do.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Well you leftie nationalists who hate england .Now you know why they used to have
    "No Irish need apply" on ads. for accomodation in london in the 60s . We behaved disgracefully .We still do .
    Mandrake: It'll never work cause it's simply phony and stupid .

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

Spent a year in Australia on the WHV, with a few friends from Ireland. Loved Bondi and the eastern suburbs, lovely place for a snorkel and a bike ride after work.

All the stories about the cock and bull bring back some memories. First time in the Cock and bull I saw a guy getting "glassed" in the face, stayed away after that. Knew of Irish guys who went over, spent a month drinking in the C&B morning till late, and then when their money was gone they went home.

Place was crawling with GAA jerseys which I applaud because it made it easy to avoid irish people altogether. So many times I was embarrassed by "boggers" screaming "you'll never beat the irish" or "ohh ahh up the Ra" and all that crap in the middle of the night.

Feel sorry for Australians having to deal with the element that makes life in Ireland such a disheartening experience, no respect for anything or anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PurthPaddy

Why with bashing our own

Few Fact
    Northbridge is full of **** that cause rows. It is full of **** of all races not just Irish, arrogant local's pumped up on roids and on Ice are as quick to get into a row as a drunk Irish tourist, put paddy bashing makes for a better story on a current affair

The bouncers over cause more rows than the solve over here, with their attitudes. Correctly trained bouncers can prevent issues prior they arise with the correct way of dealing with people, Aussie bouncers lake the intelligence to do this

The local drink equally as much as the Irish over here, and are every bit a messy.

Yes Australia is a great country, but the locals leave a lot to be desired as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pa_

The "Irish bogans" are an embarrasing crowd but it is a great thing that they all gravitate towards each other and stay concentrated in Irish dive bars like the Cock & Bull and Scruffy's.

I do think this problem is overstated a little bit. From my experience most regular Irish people mix in well and are well received. It doesn't impact on their view of us too much. Many Australians see our heavy drinking reputation (when it's not antisocial) as a highly positive thing and are actually often a bit disappointed when they realise I don't drink a lot.

Interestingly a taxi driver told me a couple of months ago that Irish are the only drunks he will pick up because we are merrier and less aggressive than locals. He must have avoided the hot spots.

PurthPaddy wrote: »
    Why with bashing our own

Few Fact
    Northbridge is full of **** that cause rows. It is full of **** of all races not just Irish, arrogant local's pumped up on roids and on Ice are as quick to get into a row as a drunk Irish tourist, put paddy bashing makes for a better story on a current affair

The bouncers over cause more rows than the solve over here, with their attitudes. Correctly trained bouncers can prevent issues prior they arise with the correct way of dealing with people, Aussie bouncers lake the intelligence to do this

The local drink equally as much as the Irish over here, and are every bit a messy.

Yes Australia is a great country, but the locals leave a lot to be desired as well.

Welcome to boards PurthPaddy, classic first post.

What a good idea we should just get deport all the Aussies and then all the problem's are solved.

PurthPaddy wrote: »
    Aussie bouncers lake the intelligence to do this

Like I say classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Feel sorry for Australians having to deal with the element that makes life in Ireland such a disheartening experience, no respect for anything or anyone.

Well, if the Paddy's stop coming over, white trash and all, half of the Aussie towns will shut up shop. A good bit of Aus relies on the backpackers to keep afloat, most of bloody Queensland is a backwater without the tourists and backpackers. The Paddy's will go out and throw a lot of money over bar counters compared to say Italians or Spanish over there.
    Aussie pubs should be grateful for that or half of them would be out of business....

Is it just the sunshine and heat that makes us go loo laa abroad? Kind of like, we get it for a weekend in Ireland and everyone heads out to take advantage of it, but you have it continuously in Aus!!

Plus, what's the age bracket of people heading over, mainly early 20s I'd say? Most would be immature and amateur boozers!!Straight out of college, no real responsibility in life, no life experience, and maybe the first proper stint abroad. It's bound to get messy. With the recessions, you'll get a fair amount of scumbags heading over too, but is it the same for the Welsh, Scottish, Swedes, Canadians over there too?

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Welcome to boards PurthPaddy, classic first post.

What a good idea we should just get deport all the Aussies and then all the problem's are solved.

Like I say classic

You are very dismissive of people who say anything negative about Australia. The place is not all rainbows, unicorns and Mary Poppins. I've noticed a LOT more fights in bars and nightclubs over here than I have in Ireland. I don't go to bars packed with Irish people, so you can calculate the odds on who are the ones causing these fights.

Before I came to Australia I met an Aussie girl in Argentina and we got chatting about Australia and the topic of strict bouncers came up, and her response is that Australians are aggressive people by nature, so they need to police the alcohol quite a lot. Having been in the country nearly a 18 months now I fully agree with what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Ye, as much as I really like it here, it's not without its faults.

As already mentioned above, the bouncers here are generally of a very poor standard, i've witnessed some, really escalating arguments for no good reason.

Secondly, I've seen plenty of drugged up aggressive locals, way more than I would have encountered at home, but maybe thats because I know which places to avoid at home.

We do have to remember we are ambassadors for our country, and should treat Australia with respect though, I have no idea what Perth is like, but any of the few Irish i've bumped into in Melbourne have been a decent sort.

You are very dismissive of people who say anything negative about Australia. The place is not all rainbows, unicorns and Mary Poppins. I've noticed a LOT more fights in bars and nightclubs over here than I have in Ireland. I don't go to bars packed with Irish people, so you can calculate the odds on who are the ones causing these fights.

Before I came to Australia I met an Aussie girl in Argentina and we got chatting about Australia and the topic of strict bouncers came up, and her response is that Australians are aggressive people by nature, so they need to police the alcohol quite a lot. Having been in the country nearly a 18 months now I fully agree with what she said.

No I'm not did you not read #56, also have seen loads of aggressive & unlawful behavior by Islander bouncers in Sydney. But as Hussey says this thread is about Anti-social behaviour by Irish in Perth. If you want to talk about bouncers then start a new thread, I would be happy to give plenty of negative input.

I am not dismissive about the negative I am only bringing a bit of balance into the discussion from the point of view of people who are not on a 1 year wrecking spree.

I find nothing wrong with Aussies, I simply got myself out of the usual ghetto mindset and made friends with a lot of the locals. In fact you should maybe try it sometime you might be surprised to find that they are just humans as well. Some are great and some are d1cks just same as back home in Ireland. I avoid the d1cks and the rest are grand, same with my Irish friends they are all old school here 7 years + and are friends with Aussies. In fact one if my mates has his own business and he employs 1 Irish guy and 4 Aussies.

You are just upset because this makes Irish people look bad, I agree but trying to make Aussies look worse on this forum is not make the issue go away in Perth. Maybe people over there might get jack of it and stop employing Irish people full stop, really I wouldn't blame them.

Do yourself a favor and have a look from the other side of the fence, Australia is not perfect but it's not a bad spot either. You have one bunch of clowns trying to turn it in to some kind of Ireland theme park and then you have the begrudgers who go out of their way to bag the sh!t out of the place because it's not going down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

There has always been bad behaviour amongst backpackers but right now Perth has more irish backpackers than it has ever had and the bad behaviour is much more obvious. I have no doubt that a lot of the stories are true. But the media also likes to throw a negative spin on it just like they have done in the past to the indians, sri lankans, africans and kiwis. And of course the constant illegal immigrants. These media stories always coincide with a large influx of new migrants. Populist scare-mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ellaq wrote: »
    There has always been bad behaviour amongst backpackers but right now Perth has more irish backpackers than it has ever had and the bad behaviour is much more obvious. I have no doubt that a lot of the stories are true. But the media also likes to throw a negative spin on it just like they have done in the past to the indians, sri lankans, africans and kiwis. And of course the constant illegal immigrants. These media stories always coincide with a large influx of new migrants. Populist scare-mongering.

Populist scare mongering? Really?
    The letters didn't come from the media.
    Don't shoot the messengers.

Ultimately we let alcohol be an excuse for far too much antisocial behaviour in this country and there will always be idiots in every group that make the rest look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

kippy wrote: »
    Populist scare mongering? Really?
    The letters didn't come from the media.
    Don't shoot the messengers.

Ultimately we let alcohol be an excuse for far too much antisocial behaviour in this country and there will always be idiots in every group that make the rest look bad.

I am talking about the media as in the West Australia and the Perthnow website along with the likes of ACA. I agree that letter was not written by the media.

Ye, as much as I really like it here, it's not without its faults.

As already mentioned above, the bouncers here are generally of a very poor standard, i've witnessed some, really escalating arguments for no good reason.

Secondly, I've seen plenty of drugged up aggressive locals, way more than I would have encountered at home, but maybe thats because I know which places to avoid at home.

We do have to remember we are ambassadors for our country, and should treat Australia with respect though, I have no idea what Perth is like, but any of the few Irish i've bumped into in Melbourne have been a decent sort.

Mate Australia is the same as anywhere, once you work out where all the good places are then it's easier to avoid the nasties. My advice on anyone succeeding in Australia is to remember that it is Australia, geographically it's massive and has huge snakes and creepie crawleys. Its not Ireland in the sun and it's never going to be that way, your best bet is to accept it.

Also make some Aussie friends, avoid asking them 'whats the Craic? they will think you are weird. Use. 'Hows it goin?' instead.

Maybe they will invite you to a Barbie, this is good because because you have now the chance of getting to have a conversation with some of the locals. It is important not to make too much of a d!ck out of yourself because one of the neighbours might be a FIFO mining executive who owns a 25 foot cruiser and he enjoys having a few friends along for a weekend of sport fishing for Tuna and Stripeys. If you come across as a decent sort maybe he will put in a good word for a mining job.

Also the other neighbour has a very attractive 22 year old daughter, she kinda likes your accent as its a bit different. She would love to offer you a day at the beach in her new golf convertible, but she has been reading a lot of negative stuff about the Irish in The Western Australian newspaper. This makes you kinda cringe because your thoughts are of loads of muppets sitting in plastic paddy pubs drinking over priced pints and slapping themselves on the back on how great they are to have emigrated (they are on WHV's btw) and have no decent contacts, know nothing about the city, nothing about the country except drinking the faces of themselves and staying in some overpriced kip cos its 'cool'

But your mind comes back to the thought of the beach and you think, sure I could go out to the pub and make a fool out of myself any day in Ireland and as the old saying goes when in Rome .......and you know the rest.

Really Crack you are the stranger in this town its up to you to make the effort....be positive towards the people who can help you, if you make the effort you never know where it leads or what doors it opens.

But if you get on like some of these other boys on here with their negative Australia bashing sure how are you supposed to get anywhere good with that carryon?

Do you really want to be heading towards loserville?

These guys get all bitter and twisted and then end up posting in AH how horrible Aussies are and they never met any because they stuck to their parish mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

catbear wrote: »
    I disagree, the only disparaging remake I've received here was from another Irish person when I said I wasn't interested in GAA, "you're really Irish then" I was told.
    If you were here you'd see how seriously bars take the threat of losing their license.
    The police here contact the GAA clubs the same way they'd coordinate with AFL clubs, it's good policing.

I have been there. I lived in Bondi for 4 months and spent many a night in the Cock and Bull. Never seen a fight. There was no Channel nine TV show on bad Irish behavior back then.

Not renting to Irish, no Irish need apply brick laying jobs, local residents up in arms about drunken antics. Doesn't seem all that different to no blacks no dogs no Irish. By the sounds of things, I'd say it's a nightmare over there compared to 2004!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i read the thread then looked at all the guys i know from my school who are now in oz.im 27 now and we did our leaving cert in 2002.

the lads who are down there are the lads who amounted to nothing here.laboured on sites and drank ****ing every cent and spent their 500 quid a week on whale tail spoilers for their civic.im painting a picture but you get me.

gaa jersey, tacky tattoos,nike air max.............correct

the accountants ,the boys in IT,the lads going in to law and the pharmacists are still here. was out in the local for the bank holiday sunday just gone and one of the lads noticed all the lads who got real good leaving certs and were generally good are still here and all the chancers and chavs have decided to foxtrot oscar.

as another poster pointed out the same lads who tear up playa del ingles and santa pontsa in the celtic tiger summer trips are down there running amok.

the people who like a midweek break in berlin or copenhagen are not!

there a lot of irish down there living properly contributing to the society and behaving properly- most of those people are there a couple of years now. im generalising but the latest influx are not cut from the same cloth.

the reason they go to aus is because they couldnt be arsed learning a new language and choose the point of least resistance coz they were lazy in school/lazy here/and now they are lazy there.theyll milk oz till they are ****ed out and then move on to the next laying hen ,be it canada or new zealand or whatever.

ive a friend in adelaide and he is mortified by the carry on of the irish.

i read this thread often because i used to harbour ambitions to go to new zealand and if you are on this forum i think its indicative that you have an interest in living there properly and are seeking good advice. the people in this forum are good people.

its the clowns who arrive off the plane draped in gaa jersey and eire 32 tattoo and want to head to the shamrock or murphys or whatever identikit irish bar is nearby to get bladdered that are ruining it for every one.

i dont think its an irish thing.

the elephant in the room is its a class thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

How would you know what Australian backpackers are like? You just admitted in a different thread that you are not interested in travel, and much prefer the solitude of camping and fishing

Well thats a strange reply??? I think you might find that was a response in that rather pointless thread "City Breaks, an area where Australia is lacking" and funnily enough i was talking about short breaks in Australia, so quoting out of context on a different topic to try and justify a link to a page that was just an opinion piece is bit of a long bow to draw, besides how do you think i worked my way up through Africa and ended up living in Cork? Teleportation. hold on thats Travel and im not interested in that:confused:
    I’ve travelled. A lot. Been to 26 countries.

Yes we all know by now, you tend to mention it fairly regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement