Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I hate the over importance they place on attendance. All this talk about "attendance is important because if you are borderline failing but have been in to all your lectures, they will pass you". What? If you have been going in that often and still failed you're a bit dim. This isn't junior-infants sports day, it's not "the taking part that counts".

I'm paying fees to go to uni, I'm an adult, it should be up to me to decide which university resources (incl lectures and tutorials) I wish to use. I shouln't have to go into college every day to lectures teaching me things I learnt/taught-myself when I was about 15, when I could just stay at home and work on an essay or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

ZRelation wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much. Doesn't help when you're not getting paid for it though!

Yeah feck the students. I guess you deserve at least half a pat on the back for your semi-dedication. Who is getting paid anyway? Doesn't the gov give the university a little less than 10 grand via me every year?

I shouln't have to go into college every day to lectures teaching me things I learnt/taught-myself when I was about 15, when I could just stay at home and work on an essay or something.

Yeah but then some lectures would have zero attendance, and it would be too obvious that some lecturers aren't required.

Just to be clear, I'm not disregarding the need for lectures or acting the know-it-all, just saying that while I respect the knowledge of many lecturers, it'd be nice if they respected my judgement when it came to choosing which modules I need to attend and which I can pass because I'm already comfortable with the subject. I recently got grades back for one module, A-A-B-F, with the latter being attendance.

What?! Well if they're giving you "free marks" just for showing up, there's a reason to attend. Wish I had that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

HotDogger wrote: »
    I think feedback would be helpful at my school.

I hand in some assignments every now and then and it would be nice if my assigned pedagogues would take some time away from their research to correct them and add some shet like: "this is right, and this is wrong and here's why..."

I reckon they could have as much time to correct them as they gave me to complete them (a week). Instead I just get them out of a box at the end of the semester with a grade at the top and zero comments.

Do they not talk to ye one to one after ye get your essays back? Why don't you email the persons in question and ask for feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Yeah feck the students. I guess you deserve at least half a pat on the back for your semi-dedication. Who is getting paid anyway? Doesn't the gov give the university a little less than 10 grand via me every year?
    It funds the college jet...duh

What?! Well if they're giving you "free marks" just for showing up, there's a reason to attend. Wish I had that problem.

Not really though. You shouldn't be going in just to get marks. Why should those who went in and sat there staring blankly for an hour get an extra 10% just for that? You should be going in because the lecture is interesting, engaging and/or useful (these seem to be mutually exclusive:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Funkie

Not really though. You shouldn't be going in just to get marks. Why should those who went in and sat there staring blankly for an hour get an extra 10% just for that? You should be going in because the lecture is interesting, engaging and/or useful (these seem to be mutually exclusive:p)

Well there does also seem to be a direct link between going to lectures and getting good grades. I also suppose it is to encourage people to go to lectures rather than spend their whole day on boards.ie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

If you could get 10% of a module just by going to lectures, why would you not go? It is incredibly stupid not to take marks that are pretty much given away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

This has really been annoying me for a while: People who walk on the bike lane (specifically the one on the bridge). It's usually people walking 4 or 5 accross and don't realise someone wants to pass on a bike. They don't realise how annoying and dangerous it is for people trying to cycle past. Just last week somebody walking infront of me went the entire length of the bridge in the bike lane. He didn't even move when they were coming towards him and forced them to cycle on the pedestrian path. :mad:

Foxx92 wrote: »
    This has really been annoying me for a while: People who walk on the bike lane (specifically the one on the bridge). It's usually people walking 4 or 5 accross and don't realise someone wants to pass on a bike. They don't realise how annoying and dangerous it is for people trying to cycle past. Just last week somebody walking infront of me went the entire length of the bridge in the bike lane. He didn't even move when they were coming towards him and forced them to cycle on the pedestrian path. :mad:

Its even worse when people cycle on the footpath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Tutorials...pretty much everything to do with them is a pain in the hole. What the fúck is the point of them anyways, two years into my course and I've got precious little out of attending them really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Foxx92 wrote: »

Wait, what bridge? Surely not the bridge going into town beside the Cathedral?

Anyway, as a cyclist I can live with pedestrians all over the shop, they're easy to avoid. What's been seriously pissing me off is the staggering number of Galway drivers who don't bother indicating. They just turn whenever they feel like it. I can't count the times I've been at a cross roads waiting to cross and almost being killed because some moron who didn't indicate took a sudden turn. My ability to stay alive is dependent on my ability to predict your behaviour, do try and follow the basic rules of the road.

I cycled in Dublin for a decade before I came here, I've never seen such stupidity before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait, what bridge? Surely not the bridge going into town beside the Cathedral?
    "The" bridge means the Quincentennial Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Heat in the library :mad:

Nearly died when I was in there yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I heard the library is roasting alright - its my excuse for not going in there :pac:

Pitty they didn't have that heat before Christmas - it was damn freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

meeka wrote: »
    What had you eaten? I'd like to know what to avoid! That's crap though..

I had sausages and chips, so I'm assuming the sausages came into contact with something, contaminated surface or something. Was horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

'Do not touch' plastered all over the walls and sculpture tables for a 1 week exhibition, and what is our no. 1 cause of damage? People getting all touchy-touchy with the artwork. Every bl**dy year. I didn't think you'd get into university if you couldn't ****ing read.....

Honorable mentions also to the langers at the buildings office who appear to be a-ok with whatever the Arts Office do, but if it's students work then f*ck it, horse it out of the way and who cared what breaks or how **** everything looks when it's all covered up.

Actually, the Arts office are langers too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Currently fsckers in the library who talk constantly. I have no problem telling them to shut up once or twice but I cant really keep on doing it.

Damn college is busy today. Looks like the whole of GMIT are visiting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Looks like the whole of GMIT are visiting too.

What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?

Whole place seems more country than normal. Awful lot of tracksuits around today and far more people than normal.

Maybe it's the good weather driving them out today. Library is packed.

lol, had an essay to hand in at a 2pm lecture today, which also had to be submitted by 11.59pm tonight via TurnItIn. This was the deadline for months.

Handed the essay in during the lecture and she informed us that Blackboard submission had closed. Sure enough, she had changed the submission deadline at the last minute (presumably today, as I checked it 1-2 days ago and it was 11.59).

Second time I've had blackboard deadlines change without warning. A bit of honesty from our esteemed lecturers would be nice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Just shut the f*ck up in Maths lectures or tutorials you shower of yakking gobsh*ites. Every lecture, every year, Maths is the worst for having people blather on constantly so you can't hear the damn tutor. I don't understand why those people come to the lecture hall at all, and tutorials are optional - wtf are you sitting there chatting full volume for you tw*t?! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Have a bit of a problem that someone might be able to help with, doesn't really deserve a thread. Keep trying to save my SPSS work (it's basically a spreadsheet), but it doesn't get saved to the U (University) Drive. It worked the first time I saved it, but anytime I try to make additional changes they just disappear whenever I open it next. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Have a bit of a problem that someone might be able to help with, doesn't really deserve a thread. Keep trying to save my SPSS work (it's basically a spreadsheet), but it doesn't get saved to the U (University) Drive. It worked the first time I saved it, but anytime I try to make additional changes they just disappear whenever I open it next. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Are you actually saving it to the U: drive or to the local machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mr_november

Just shut the f*ck up in Maths lectures or tutorials you shower of yakking gobsh*ites. Every lecture, every year, Maths is the worst for having people blather on constantly so you can't hear the damn tutor. I don't understand why those people come to the lecture hall at all, and tutorials are optional - wtf are you sitting there chatting full volume for you tw*t?! :mad:

People do seem to talk loudly in some of my maths lectures...unless perhaps we're in the same lecture! It's common in 1st year but by 2nd year most people have copped on/stopped attending lectures...unfortunately all it takes is one or two to get on your nerves! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

nobbo wrote: »
    Heat in the library :mad:

What is going on with the crazy heat??! Had to take my boots off in there one day..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What is going on with the crazy heat??! Had to take my boots off in there one day..........

The smell in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

I had to take all my clothes of one day...

All the GMIT tossers coming around fscking things up and just generally acting the maggot.

I blame jealousy.

I saw one crowd put up and scribbled posters to the effect of "GMIT is superior to yous"

I facepalmed and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

I saw one crowd put up and scribbled posters to the effect of "GMIT is superior to yous"

At least they've been learning their big words...

Film Soc are doing a film festival-type thing next week (basically loads of films). Most of them are films I'd love to see (or have seen already), but why put it on during College Week? I'd presume they'd get a bigger attendance any other week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I suppose they could be trying to raise money...

• Advertisement

Film Soc are doing a film festival-type thing next week (basically loads of films). Most of them are films I'd love to see (or have seen already), but why put it on during College Week? I'd presume they'd get a bigger attendance any other week.

Surely its obvious why they would have a film festival during the week most people don't go to college/lectures?

Surely its obvious why they would have a film festival during the week most people don't go to college/lectures?

Well from my experience most people don't go to college / lectures during college week because they're off out drinking... Using the same logic they wouldn't be arsed going into college to watch a film.

Maybe it gives people who don't drink something to do while everyone else is out getting their rehab on?

Perhaps. Jeez, don't shoot me; just saying it'd attract more people any other week.

Looking forward to Rag week as the library will be quieter. Really hoping the twats near me now will be gone. They do nothing but talk, not even whisper but talk. I have to tell them to shut up every day but it doesnt stick.

• Advertisement

The people who order Hot Chocolate in the IT Building café and hold up everyone.

And while we're at it, the queue in the IT Building café.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Locked my keys into my locker the other day so I headed over to the SU to ask for the spare one. It was only after I was back on the concourse that I realised all I'd told her was my locker number.. she hadn't even asked my name or ID, could've been anyone's locker keys for all she knew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

the book check out machines in the library on the 1st floor are always broken!!!
    also the heat in the o'flaherty theatre on thursday was brutal!!! doesnt help that the tables are still broken making everyone squish together.

meeka wrote: »
    I realised all I'd told her was my locker number.. she hadn't even asked my name or ID, could've been anyone's locker keys for all she knew!

That's worrying. Send an email to them about it.
    musical.x wrote: »
    also the heat in the o'flaherty theatre on thursday was brutal!!! doesnt help that the tables are still broken making everyone squish together.

Whenever I see that it reminds me of a Ryanair flight. Maybe they're trying to "balance the lecture hall".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

That's worrying. Send an email to them about it.

Whenever I see that it reminds me of a Ryanair flight. Maybe they're trying to "balance the lecture hall".
    haha yeh thats a possibility!:D they do say you put on some wieght when you start college :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

The people who order Hot Chocolate in the IT Building café and hold up everyone.

And while we're at it, the queue in the IT Building café.
    But it's the finest hot chocolate on campus... In fact, the coffee there is the best on campus. I too hate the queues that evolve themselves there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

But it's the finest hot chocolate on campus... In fact, the coffee there is the best on campus. I too hate the queues that evolve themselves there!

Ahem, I am one of those people...well, to be fair its a Mocha I get :D

Look I need the caffeinated sweetness to make it though a Programming lecture !:rolleyes:

Ahem, I am one of those people...well, to be fair its a Mocha I get :D

Look I need the caffeinated sweetness to make it though a Programming lecture !:rolleyes:

Next time I see you at the head of the queue waiting on a Hot Chocolate I'm going to throw rock-hard Mars bars at you, straight from the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Next time I see you at the head of the queue waiting on a Hot Chocolate I'm going to throw rock-hard Mars bars at you, straight from the fridge.
    I do also love how the chocolate is kept in the fridge! Awesomeness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Lectures during RAG Week.

I've never been one to advocate some of the carry on in Rag Week, but then again I've always just enjoyed the week without causing anyone any grief or trouble. But would some of the lecturers ever just f*** off with their "compulsory lectures" in Rag Week. I know it isn't meant to be a week's holiday, but a lot of tutors and lecturers recognise that many students just want to enjoy the week, and that a lot of us see it as the last good session before getting the head down for exams, and cancel the lectures accordingly.

However you have others who will send out emails 'reminding' you that next week's lectures are compulsory or setting work due in then just to make you show up.

I know somebody will respond to this by telling me what RAG week is "meant to be for" and that you should be going into all your lectures anyway etc and when it comes down to it, you'd be right. But realistically, a week of not going in won't do much harm (plenty people pass without attending entire semesters...) so why not just relax a bit and let students off for a week ...

edit: keeping chocolate in the fridge is for mentalists

• Advertisement
Advertisement