Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK man faces jail for "accidentally" slapping Ryanair stewardess on bottom

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Did anyone see the offended bum ? Was it worth it one wonders..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

TheZohan wrote: »
    She should be allowed to do her job without being molested, end of story.

Which is why I said he should receive a suspended sentence or other form of punishment.

I don't think anyone that feels that it would be ott if he were to have to serve prison time, is also of the opinion that what he did should somehow be tolerated.

You can think that what he did was wrong and also think that to go to jail for what he did would be ott. They are not mutually exclusive opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Do the girls who grabbed my ass in a club before get jail time too?

Did you report them to security and/or a Garda? Because they're not mind readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

hen party+male steward=non story
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Well it shouldn't be

You're right, it shouldn't be, but it would indeed be a non story.
    I venture to say most lads working in a bar have at some point been made feel at least slightly uncomfortable by a hen party.
    I have on numerous occasions been slapped on the arse or grabbed and kissed by members of a hen party. It is usually just laughed at by all those around including management.
    If that was a barmaid though being accosted by members of a stag... It would be seen by the very same people as an entirely different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Worse than a man getting groped in his workplace?
    same legally ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I venture to say most lads working in a bar have at some point been made feel at least slightly uncomfortable by a hen party.
    I have on numerous occasions been slapped on the arse or grabbed and kissed by members of a hen party. It is usually just laughed at by all those around including management.
    If that was a barmaid though being accosted by members of a stag... It would be seen by the very same people as an entirely different situation.
    Barstewards, the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

TheZohan wrote: »
    Did you report them to security and/or a Garda? Because they're not mind readers.

No, because I think it'd be ridiculous when it was harmless. Can you even imagine the guards taking me seriously?

I think she should be able to do her job without getting groped like that, but jail time is just ridiculous when if that would happen to a man people would just laugh it off. A fine would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

The fact that it was on a plane means he should go to jail.
    The last thing I'd like to see happening is harrassing women in a small space by drunken blokes.

syklops wrote: »
    You would expect better journalism from the... Bournemouth Echo?!?

Was either the Echo or the DM and lord knows had I included their article on the story, no doubt we'd have a dozen or so sneering Daily Fail posts by now. Here it is:
    Groom returning from his stag do faces jail for slapping air hostess on the bottom during Ryanair flight

A groom-to-be who smacked the bottom of an air hostess on his way home from his stag do could be jailed - just two months before his wedding.

Peter Thompson, 48, was on a flight from Alicante, Spain to Bournemouth in Dorset when he drunkenly attacked the female Ryanair crew member.

He told the 'pretty' hostess he 'loved her' before he mounted a friend's lap and slapped her bottom as she walked past, the court heard.

The attendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pushed Thompson's hand away and told him not to do it again.

Thompson appeared at Bournemouth Magistrates Court where he pleaded guilty to being drunk on the flight and to one charge of assault.
    Lee Turner, prosecuting, read a statement from the air stewardess and said Thompson told her she was very pretty and that he loved her.

The statement said: 'He was looking at me as if I was a piece of meat.'

She later noticed he moved from the seat and was sitting on the lap of his friend.
    Mr Turner said: 'As she walked past he smacked her bottom with his open right hand.

'She pushed his hand away and said "Don't do that again".

'He wasn't aggressive, she thinks he was trying to be funny but was actually very disrespectful.'

The court heard that Thompson, who works at a language school and lives in Poole, had consumed alcohol and an antihistamine tablet before the flight on May 4.

He was then sold a discounted alcoholic drink by the air stewardess on the plane.

James Moore, defending, said that Thompson was in high spirits and looking forward to seeing his fiancee when the incident happened.

He said he flailed his arms to express himself and accidentally made contact with the stewardess as she walked past.

Mr Moore said: 'He's sat on the arm of a chair with a friend. He's barely aware that he's even touched her.

'Unfortunately, she got this wrong.

'What we have here is a man not intentionally making contact with the flight attendant. It wasn't nasty, it wasn't malicious, it didn't cause any trouble.

'This is not a sinister, nasty offence, it didn't put anyone at risk.'

Thompson will be sentenced on June 16, two months before he is due to get married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

hen party+male steward=non story

Exactly
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Well it shouldn't be

but yet it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

A fine would suffice, god like give over with this unsafe environment rubbish. She said herself he was not aggressive. He should be out of pocket a few bob that will stop him being a drunken idiot like that again.A jail sentence is stupid, If it was the other way round this thread would be a joke.

Bar him from Ryanair even, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

he should be given a final chance to dismiss the "accident" and tell the truth...and then off with a punishment other than jail...if he lies then jail him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if he lied that would be contempt of court, so he'd be jailed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Jesus

Assault. Jail.
    It'll be called rape next.

The guy behaved like a tool and is gettin publicly embarrassed over it. Maybe we should just hysteria it down a bit...

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    No, because I think it'd be ridiculous when it was harmless. Can you even imagine the guards taking me seriously?

I heard of a woman from Swords, that followed a guy up the road in the middle of the day and slapped him on the arse and was given eight months in prison for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I heard of a woman from Swords, that followed a guy up the road in the middle of the day and slapped him on the arse and was given eight months in prison for it.

I call bull on that

Boskowski wrote: »
    I call bull on that

Here you go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Keep complaining. Talk to guards. Talk about unsafe working environments etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Here you go.

That story is a man slapping the bum of a woman, not the other way around.

It sure is..

..and isn't funny how when I reversed the sexes of the story, the notion of a woman getting eight months for slapping a man on the arse seemed so absurd that a user called "BS" on it.

Yet, when it was revealed that it was in fact a guy doing the arse slapping.. eight months in prison suddenly doesn't seem quite so absurd.

Oh yeah, we live in patriarchal society all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

How is it OTT, its sexual harassment from a drunken lech on a woman trying to do her job. He needs to be taught a lesson
    no he doesn't, to do so is to costly and would be for no benefit

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

How is it OTT, its sexual harassment from a drunken lech on a woman trying to do her job. He needs to be taught a lesson

So by that logic how about punish everyone who has ever gone in for a kiss on a girl who doesn't want it or grinding up against a woman on a nightclub dancefloor. I think a nice fine and the fact he's published for doing this in the paper will be enough to deter him and alot of other people in future. She has every right to complain but I think there's a bit too much over reaction. Calm down.

Yes, not for life but a few weeks would teach him a lesson, time and time again we see people with a slew of convictions not serving time.

It just highlights the double standard some have to sexual harrassment, they think its not a "proper crime"
    its not a lesson worth teaching, its to costly, jail should be for murderers rapists or other violent criminals, all he was was a stupid idiot, sending people to prison just to teach them a lesson rather then the fact they commited a crime is not cost effective

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mike65 wrote: »
    You know in the old days, a female member of the cabin crew would either smile through gritted teeth, come back with a witty slightly demeaning riposte or would just spit in his food later.

Now its a a ****ing crime :rolleyes: ...
    We live in more enlightened times. [Well, in some respects, anyway.]

not unless you reported it....a female getting groped in her workplace is different.

different to what, if its not right to grope a woman then its not right to grope a man either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Jail is too harsh.
    The correct punishment should have been a hard slap right to his face... or the old stewardess trick (eyedrops in the tea or coffee)

Jail is too harsh.
    The correct punishment should have been a hard slap right to his face... or the old stewardess trick (eyedrops in the tea or coffee)

or better yet, accidently' spilling a hot coffee in his lap :eek::D

he should be given a final chance to dismiss the "accident" and tell the truth...and then off with a punishment other than jail...if he lies then jail him....

what sort of bs suggestion is that? how do you know he isn't telling the truth, he's punishment should be based on the supposed crime and not on the basis of him telling the truth or not, such gibberish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, from now on that woman will see herself as being a victim of 'Assault'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I worked as a lounge boy many moons ago and a slap or a pinch on the ass from a group of drunk women happened quite a lot

I worked as a lounge girl many moons ago too, and I hated getting groped, especially when my hands were full so I couldn't defend myself. I used to report it to the bouncers and the owners of the wandering hands would be kicked out. I think any man working the same job should be given the same protection - how did you and your workplace deal with it?
    chrissb8 wrote: »
    So by that logic how about punish everyone who has ever gone in for a kiss on a girl who doesn't want it or grinding up against a woman on a nightclub dancefloor. I think a nice fine and the fact he's published for doing this in the paper will be enough to deter him and alot of other people in future. She has every right to complain but I think there's a bit too much over reaction. Calm down.

That's not the same logic at all. It's not the going in for the kiss/grinding that is the problem - it's continuing it after being asked to stop. And this is a workplace incident anyway- it's never OK to put moves on someone there. I don't even think it was a move, more of an attempt to embarrass the stewardess in front of everyone to impress his friends.

Advertisement