Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK man faces jail for "accidentally" slapping Ryanair stewardess on bottom

Options
  • 26-05-2014 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Groom-to-be ‘who slapped Ryanair stewardess on the bottom’ could be jailed

A FIANCE who assaulted an air stewardess while returning from his stag do has been warned he could be jailed.

Peter Thompson, of Cranbrook Road, Poole, admitted being drunk on a Ryanair flight from Alicante to Bournemouth on May 4 and also pleaded guilty to one charge of assault.

The prosecution alleged he slapped the Ryanair stewardess on the bottom but Thompson, 48, claimed he accidentally made contact with her back while gesticulating in excitement.

Thompson, who works at a private language school, will be sentenced at Bournemouth Magistrates’ Court on June 16 – two months before he is due to get married in August. Magistrates have asked for pre-sentence reports but warned they were not ruling out any sentencing options, including custody.

Lee Turner, prosecuting at Bournemouth Magistrates’ Court, read a statement from the air stewardess in which she said Thompson told her she was very pretty and that he loved her.

“He was looking at me as if I was a piece of meat,” her statement said.

She later noticed he moved from the seat and was sitting on the lap of his friend.

“As she walked past he smacked her bottom with his open right hand,” said Mr Turner. “She pushed his hand away and said: ‘Don’t do that again’.”

Mr Turner added: “He wasn’t aggressive, she thinks he was trying to be funny but was actually very disrespectful.”

James Moore, defending, said Thompson had consumed alcohol before the flight, along with an antihistamine tablet, and was then sold a discounted alcoholic drink by the air stewardess on the plane.

He read Thompson’s basis of plea, which said he was in high spirits and looking forward to seeing his fiancée when the incident happened.

He said he flailed his arms to express himself and accidentally made contact with the stewardess as she walked past.

Mr Moore said: “He’s sat on the arm of a chair with a friend. He’s barely aware that he’s even touched her.

“Unfortunately, she got this wrong.

“What we have here is a man not intentionally making contact with the flight attendant. It wasn’t nasty, it wasn’t malicious, it didn’t cause any trouble. This is not a sinister, nasty offence – it didn’t put anyone at risk.”

Bit of a strange one this, as if it was just an accident - as his solicitor suggests - then why plead guilty?

Either way, to serve jail time for something like this does seem a little OTT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

How is it OTT, its sexual harassment from a drunken lech on a woman trying to do her job. He needs to be taught a lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Stone him!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That headline is pretty misleading I think -
    Magistrates have asked for pre-sentence reports but warned they were not ruling out any sentencing options, including custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd say it was his middle leg that got excited rather than the rest of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hen party+male steward=non story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

While what he did was wrong i do think jail is a bit much. Community service and a fine would probably be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I agree that he should face some sort of punishment as I don't believe for a second it was an accident, but jail time I think may be a bit much. A fine and community service is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

How is it OTT, its sexual harassment from a drunken lech on a woman trying to do her job. He needs to be taught a lesson

I didn't say it would be OTT to punish him, I said it would be OTT if he was made serve jail time over it.. which is somewhat different.

Suspended sentence perhaps, or ban him from flying for a year?

Locking him up for something like this, when it was seemingly his first offence of this nature.. seems a little drastic.

Hell, I had much worse done to me in Temple Bar a few weeks back, not sure I would agree with those women being locked up for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hen party+male steward=non story

Well it shouldn't be

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that was no accident

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There is clearly about two-thirds of the story missing.

He slapped her ass, she said don't do that again. How did it go from there, to a courthouse?

You would expect better journalism from the... Bournemouth Echo?!?

Ok maybe you wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Needs Oh Leery headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

By going to Prison?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You know in the old days, a female member of the cabin crew would either smile through gritted teeth, come back with a witty slightly demeaning riposte or would just spit in his food later.

Now its a a ****ing crime :rolleyes: Does he go on the sexual offenders register?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

snaphook wrote: »
    By going to Prison?

:confused:
    Yes, not for life but a few weeks would teach him a lesson, time and time again we see people with a slew of convictions not serving time.

It just highlights the double standard some have to sexual harrassment, they think its not a "proper crime"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Any pics of the pretty airstewardess?

Yes

For how long then?

If anything a fine and the shame of having his named published is punishment enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm struggling to think of any gesticulation whilst sitting on somebody's lap that could be accidental.

Lock the fcuker up for telling lies.

mike65 wrote: »
    Does he go on the sexual offenders register?

he works in a school so job gone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,881 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'James Moore, defending, said Thompson had consumed alcohol before the flight, along with an antihistamine tablet, and was then sold a discounted alcoholic drink by the air stewardess on the plane.'

Moral of the story is: don't take tablets and drink before flying...

• Advertisement

Seems people don't think this is criminal behaviour?? of course it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I didn't say it would be OTT to punish him, I said it would be OTT if he was made serve jail time over it.. which is somewhat different.

Locking him up for something like this, when it was seemingly his first offence of this nature.. seems a little drastic.

Hell, I had much worse done to me in Temple Bar a few weeks back, not sure I would agree with those women being locked up for it.

She should be allowed to do her job without being molested, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

'James Moore, defending, said Thompson had consumed alcohol before the flight, along with an antihistamine tablet, and was then sold a discounted alcoholic drink by the air stewardess on the plane.'

Moral of the story is: don't take tablets and drink before flying...

hang on isn't that the Prenderville defence?

Maybe he should have contacted Gerald Kean to defend him.
    No sex offenders list, or losing your job for rubbing one out after wine and nurofen.

No one who has ever drank too much alcohol has ever done or said anything that they regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

That sounds like a fairly crap documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Do the girls who grabbed my ass in a club before get jail time too?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Do the girls who grabbed my ass in a club before get jail time too?
    not unless you reported it....a female getting groped in her workplace is different.

I worked as a lounge boy many moons ago and a slap or a pinch on the ass from a group of drunk women happened quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

not unless you reported it....a female getting groped in her workplace is different.

Worse than a man getting groped in his workplace?

• Advertisement

I worked as a lounge boy many moons ago and a slap or a pinch on the ass from a group of drunk women happened quite a lot

I'm sure they were only gesticulating in a drunken manner.

Advertisement