Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

What did you expect?
    Yeah Nintendo were going to reveal all the WiiU games days before their conference just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Kinski wrote: »
    RANT MODE:
    *snip*

/RANT OVER. :P

games are coming Tuesday, 5pm. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If you're serious, e3 hasn't even started yet.

Not really; that video just bored the arse off me!;):D

I do have some major concerns with the hardware, but games make or break any system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And if it bored you now, imagine if this took place at the conference. So it was smart to do it this way. Now it'll be games for the whole of the conference. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I hope they make it so if you have an existing friend code from Wii and/or 3DS you can use it with the new Wii U, link it through a Nintendo account or something.

I will go crazy adding everyone again :pac:

But the online community looks pretty fun! As long as lots of other people buy it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm sorry, but I was really looking forward to this.

Really? Really? Because your rant sounds like you didn't know a lot of the stuff that was actually included in the E3 reveal last year tbh...
    They were just revealing some of the functionality that the Wii U will have. You want to know what it can do, keep your eyes peeled on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Including universal remote functionality in the pad sounds really cleaver. You'd wonder why someone hasn't tried it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Not really; that video just bored the arse off me!;):D

I do have some major concerns with the hardware, but games make or break any system.

Ye it's ok to be overhyped but not underwhelmed by that boring video. I've owned every single Nintendo console but after the wii disaster will be very wary of the Wii U. Nintendo need to show some amazing games that will appeal to serious gamers and not novelty crap. I hope they do as they are still the greatest gaming company around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ye it's ok to be overhyped but not underwhelmed by that boring video. I've owned every single Nintendo console but after the wii disaster will be very wary of the Wii U. Nintendo need to show some amazing games that will appeal to serious gamers and not novelty crap. I hope they do as they are still the greatest gaming company around.

Myself and the lads were discussing the upcoming WiiU last week and not one of us was considering buying it. You're talking about 6 Wii owners here and the last time one of us turned on the machine was 18 months ago. Of that group there are two 360s and one PS3 and they're used on pretty much a daily basis and the consensus was that - if we had the money - we'd all buy the next gen for those machines on launch.

It's not just hardcore games, the three Wii only owners would consider themselves casual gamers and similarly to ourselves have just been turned off Nintendo by the gimmicky nature of the Wii. This is quite an achievement given that we're all 80s kids and have strong associations with the brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

the wii for me has being a fantastc system with some of the most memorable games this generation .

Mario Galaxy games
    metroid prime 3
    skyward sword
    nights journey of dreams
    xenoblade
    the last story
    Sonic Colours
    pandora tower
    fragile dreams Etc...

loads of quality 1st party and 3rd party games that unfortunately does not get the exposure they deserve. awful negative picture towards the wii for being casual console which is a shame.
    watching that nintendo direct video yesterday was interesting and some pretty cool features added. i am glad the wii u game pad got a re design with the sticks are no longer sliders and the added an optional wii u pro controller for those who have no interest in the gamepad. as for the features im diigging the mii universe world menu , it be great in the menu asking for helping guys when they have trouble on games and stuff, feels very much like facebook.
    in the end of the day people buy nintendo consoles for the 1st party games , and now as it seems they are getting the 3rd party back it is the to go to console in my opinion. i made the mistake skipping the n64 and gamecube , not going to repeat those mistakes again.
    cant wait to see what happens tomorrow :D

• Advertisement

Really? Really? Because your rant sounds like you didn't know a lot of the stuff that was actually included in the E3 reveal last year tbh...

Exactly. A lot of that stuff was mentioned last year; I wasn't impressed with it then, and I'm disappointed to not be hearing better stuff now. They were even using bits of the videos they had last year. Nintendo could surely made a better video than that; obviously they wouldn't be showing off games, but why not some new tech demos to give a better sense of what can be done with the system?

Of course, as everyone agrees, the games are key. The Wii doesn't have a stellar back catalogue, but the best exclusives on there are among the best games of the generation (I loved Skyward Sword, probably my fave Zelda bar A Link To The Past, and Sin & Punishment: SotS may be favorite game of the whole generation). If the Wii U has as many great games, I'll probably pick it up at some stage.

But I suppose it comes down to the fact that I'm still disappointed that no Nintendo system is ever going to be my main console again, since they now seem condemned to forever lag a generation behind in terms of horsepower. I mean, the video talks about the new controller, and then seems to imply that core gamers might prefer using the Classic Controller Pro for some titles. Doesn't that just make it a 360 or PS3?

megaten wrote: »
    Including universal remote functionality in the pad sounds really cleaver. You'd wonder why someone hasn't tried it before.

But will that work with set-top boxes? If it doesn't, what's the point, since most households have to have one control handy for the set-top box, and another for the set itself? If it didn't both it would be brilliant, but I'm assuming it will only work with the set.

I mean, the video talks about the new controller, and then seems to imply that core gamers might prefer using the Classic Controller Pro for some titles. Doesn't that just make it a 360 or PS3?

My understanding is that it's to stop all the moaning about the controller looking crap and those people scared to try something different, which is why he even introduced it by talking about cross platform games.

But I agree that I wouldn't be getting it at launch unless they have games I absolutely want to play. Otherwise, I think it'll be 6 months or so.

I did have to laugh at the not so subtle dig at Sony's claim last year about doing with Vita and ps3 what the Wii U does when he talked about there being no delay between controller screen and tv screen.

As for the tv remote, I usaually have the 2 on the go myself, so if they have the input(AV/HDMI) button then it'll do me.

Hopefully they allow for standy controller charging. Like if the PS3 is in standby mode, you can't charge the controller. It has to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its fascinating to watch.

Personally I think Nintendo is charging down the Sega path to irrelevance. They seem to me to be completely out of touch with what consumers want.

Instead of finally updating a 2006 console into something usable for the modern era what do they do but come out with some kind of portable social media device?? Wtf??

So instead of standing on their strengths, they've decided its a clever thing to go up against the iphone/ipad and if you think that wasnt commercially suicidal enough they're also going to try and stick it to Facebook as far as I can tell.

Does anyone really have any doubts about how thats going to end?

Sad really.

But I suppose it comes down to the fact that I'm still disappointed that no Nintendo system is ever going to be my main console again, since they now seem condemned to forever lag a generation behind in terms of horsepower.

I give them one to two years more as a hardware manufacturer and then it'll be game over.

Well I'm sure they're really sweating after that Microsoft conference. :)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Instead of finally updating a 2006 console into something usable for the modern era what do they do but come out with some kind of portable social media device?? Wtf??

So instead of standing on their strengths, they've decided its a clever thing to go up against the iphone/ipad and if you think that wasnt commercially suicidal enough they're also going to try and stick it to Facebook as far as I can tell.

It's anything but a portable social media device. It's simply a controller with a screen. It's not portable as such because it's got to be wirelessly tethered to the base console. You can see the console sitting at the bottom right corner of the TV in that video that they showed with the (douchey) guy getting stuck on the zombie game and using the social elements built into the console such as messaging, group messaging and video calling. Which was all that was meant to show. The games, and to that end, the power of the console will be revealed tomorrow. TBH I don't care if it's only slightly more powerful than the xbox 360 or PS3. I have all three current consoles, and I play the Wii as much as the PS3. The good games are there for it, you just have to look past the Wii fit and the shovel ware that third parties threw at it.

The good games are there for it, you just have to look past the Wii fit and the shovel ware that third parties threw at it.

Exactly! People dismiss it but when you look at it you have a good few really good exclusives, both first and third party

The wii has being fresh air compared to ps3 360 counterparts. While i can safely say without bashing cause i moved to playstation products when the ps1 came out that the wii is bout games that have huge fun factor and fresh gameplay and so much charm while 360 and ps3 decided to go towards the blockbuster games and shooters which annoyed me abit cause he fele like past 5 years games are trying to be movies than videogames. I have never being a true mario guy but mario galaxy is probably the greatest game in the last 20 years

The wii has being fresh air compared to ps3 360 counterparts. While i can safely say without bashing cause i moved to playstation products when the ps1 came out that the wii is bout games that have huge fun factor and fresh gameplay and so much charm while 360 and ps3 decided to go towards the blockbuster games and shooters which annoyed me abit cause he fele like past 5 years games are trying to be movies than videogames.

Fair enough. So nintendo is going for the simple fun basic games?

Kind of like the games people are already playing on their phones.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. So nintendo is going for the simple fun basic games?

Kind of like the games people are already playing on their phones.

Why don't you wait till they actually show the games tomorrow?

Why don't you wait till they actually show the games tomorrow?

Yeah. Sorry. Didnt mean to be a hater. I've had a wii for years, I'm in Seattle and I know people who work at their US office, they're local here. And I'm a huge Seattle Mariners Fan (baseball) and they're the majority owner so I'm seriously rooting for Nintendo to make a big comeback in a lot of different ways!

But I've worked in Games for twenty years and I know the business and I'm scared. Thats all. SO fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Yeah. Sorry. Didnt mean to be a hater. I've had a wii for years, I'm in Seattle and I know people who work at their US office, they're local here. And I'm a huge Seattle Mariners Fan (baseball) and they're the majority owner so I'm seriously rooting for Nintendo to make a big comeback in a lot of different ways!

But I've worked in Games for twenty years and I know the business and I'm scared. Thats all. SO fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure that they're learning that the strategy they adopted with the Wii worked great initially, but didn't hold up for the lifespan. I'm pretty confident they're gonna own the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I give them one to two years more as a hardware manufacturer and then it'll be game over.

Yeah...
    Worldwide sales figures

Wii – 95.85 million as of 31 March 2012
    Xbox 360 – 65.8 million as of 12 January 2012
    PlayStation 3 – 63.9 million as of 31 March 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Seventh_generation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

"Nintendo has £6.7 ($10.5) billion in the bank and, even if making big losses every year, that considerable nest egg would keep the company going until 2052"

They have enough in the bank to keep them going more than one or two more years at the least :pac:
    I believe they know what they're doing tbh.

Nintendo's share price is also affected by things like the strength of the yen and their non-games-related investments, so it's not all about the Wii U or their overall strategy in gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That ZombiU has piqued my interest.
    If I see some promising gameplay from it, I will definitely buy the WiiU early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'd love if they pulled out something unexpected like Ethernal Darkness 2 or a Battalion Wars game that plays like Advance Wars on the WiiU controller. They could give a little love with 3rd Parties.

• Advertisement

Ign did a article saying wii u might be packed in with wii u sports , be a great idea , i dont expect wii u will announce a price or date , maybe at tokyo game show but today is going to be insane , anyone who has seen the rayman tech demo at ubisoft yesterday was crazy, shows nintendo are hiding something with what that controller can do, no need to worry bout 1st party or 2nd party titles living up i hope to see what 3rd party companies are supporting wii u
    Hope sonic rumour is true cause i can never get enough of sonic, ubisoft and ea are pushing this which is great. Lets see if others follow :)

Advertisement