Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV play content from NAS

Options
  • 28-07-2015 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a new TV soon, I use android box to play content from a nas drive I have, is there a brand that is better for range of content and ideally that doesn't cut out for no reason (like my ps4 does).

Also if that brand also do widi from laptop would be a plus however not essential. Guys in shops just say they all should work fine with it.

Prob looking for a cheaper end 4k 48 inch approx.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I have a 55" Sony smart TV in the living room and a 32" Samsung in the kitchen and the Samsung is light years ahead when it comes to fluidity and performance of the built in apps. I got the Sony through a bargain alert going on here and it came with a sound bar and a 5 year warranty and its a cracking tv but the apps are only ok when compared to the Samsung. There is a Netflix button on the remote and Sony have recently released a Plex app for the TV which works ok but doesnt feel finished. I use a NUC with openelec to play content from my NAS and netflix and youtube apps for everything else. The
    Plex client on the Samsung just seems to work better than the Sony version so if you can load up Plex server on to your NAS then I would probably recommend going for a Samsung for ease of use/simplicity sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Cheers don't think I can run plex was gonna use Dnla capabilities

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Cheers don't think I can run plex was gonna use Dnla capabilities

What nas do you have?

D-Link ShareCenter 2

I see there is a Plex Media Server download for the 320L here

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61384.0

I presume this would give me greater control of the server? Haven't a breeze on how this would be installed.

• Advertisement

Have it installed on nas now. Having issue with movie library add on. That's a job for another day.

Which TV has best plex player app?

Have it installed on nas now. Having issue with movie library add on. That's a job for another day.

Which TV has best plex player app?

Sorry joey, meant to answer sooner. Fair play on getting plex going on the nas, if you can get it working well then it makes life a lot easier regarding browsing your movie library and getting info on your movies/tv. From my experience, the Samsung plex app is far superior to the Sony version so if that is a major consideration then I would go for the Samsung if you can find one within budget.

Cheers Buck, wasn't too bad, just need to get into the nas filesystem somehow now and clear out two folders that are causing the movie catalogue to not work.

Certainly look out for the samsungs on offer in the coming weeks and months.

Cheers Buck, wasn't too bad, just need to get into the nas filesystem somehow now and clear out two folders that are causing the movie catalogue to not work.

Certainly look out for the samsungs on offer in the coming weeks and months.
    No problem at all, Samsung is definitely the way to go, app integration is just so fluid compared to Sony and picture quality of Samsung is also top notch, I got the Sony because it was on offer and had great reviews but Samsung is definitely an excellent choice. Power city have some good offers from time to time and you might get a special offer in the run up to the rugby world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

That would have been true last year but now that Sony have Android TV as their smart platform they are light years ahead of Samsung and the other brands - it's Google's content and platform so it works really well. On the other hand, Samsung have gone back in quality as they changed their platform this year to Tizen and hardly any apps are developed for it. They have less apps than last year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dazzling D wrote: »
    That would have been true last year but now that Sony have Android TV as their smart platform they are light years ahead of Samsung and the other brands - it's Google's content and platform so it works really well. On the other hand, Samsung have gone back in quality as they changed their platform this year to Tizen and hardly any apps are developed for it. They have less apps than last year.

Samsung have had a major hard on to get there Tizen OS out and in competition with Android and IOS despite the fact consumers have sod all interest in it :rolleyes: Google buying Motorolla a few years ago, was a don't screw with us or else shot across the bow type move when the Korean giant was thinking of ditching Android for Tizen on it's mobile phones.

Sony, Sharp and Phillips are making the smart (sorry :)) move in picking Android for there smart OS.

Advertisement