Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

rang up for the entertainment extra package. was on 50% off for 6 months so €17 but wouldn't give me it again! offered 23€ for 9 months and a load of excuses as to why the 50% deal can't be done and how sairview and Netflix are rubbish etc...

I agree with the above about the "friendliness" of the agent. it's tricky not to get lured into being pals!

anyways I put in my cancelation request so now to play the waiting game! last time I just got a letter offering 50% off so hoping for the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

$ky just rang me (no cancellation request submitted yet) and offered me half price HD. I turned them down flat while probably coming across as a right sour bastard :) Was annoyed at myself for answering the phone to be honest, I grabbed it to shut it up before I looked at the number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

stooge wrote: »
    half price ran out last month. Was offered 20% off and took it.
    Thought about it a bit more over the last few weeks and then decided to cancel as it was too expensive at that. Rang up and said I was leaving, was put through to another guy who then asked if they gave me 50% off for 9 months would I stay....took that and will likely move broadband to Sky in a couple of months when my EirCON contract runs out.

I wouldn't if I were you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

^^^^^^^ i did
    and very happy.
    same speed as eircom
    considerable cheaper
    unlimited downloads

who wouldn't change

edit: i know most people get ****ier speeds with sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

donegal. wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^ i did
    and very happy.
    same speed as eircom
    considerable cheaper
    unlimited downloads

who wouldn't change

mine is awful

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

stevieob wrote: »
    mine is awful
    Mine was awful as well. 100/20 with Vodafone now and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Mine was awful as well. 100/20 with Vodafone now and haven't looked back.

what did you with sky & before them?
    do know what the issue with them is?

was thinking on switching to them but not sure now, some say VF aren't great either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what did you with sky & before them?
    do know what the issue with them is?

was thinking on switching to them but not sure now, some say VF aren't great either

It was great for 8 months.

Got a constant 16Mb even though Eircom said my line could only handle 12Mb.

Then out of nowhere in October of last year my line just was dropped to 14 then to 12 before eventually going to 10Mb.

Sky said to me that the landline is like a car in that it'll only handle so much!

I'll probably always remember that analogy... :rolleyes:

There's a well documented thread I made about it over on the broadband forum.

In April of this year I switched and got Vodafone FTTC in, I get 94/18 on a download test.

Couldn't be happier really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It was great for 8 months.

Got a constant 16Mb even though Eircom said my line could only handle 12Mb.

Then out of nowhere in October of last year my line just was dropped to 14 then to 12 before eventually going to 10Mb.

Sky said to me that the landline is like a car in that it'll only handle so much!

I'll probably always remember that analogy... :rolleyes:

There's a well documented thread I made about it over on the broadband forum.

In April of this year I switched and got Vodafone FTTC in, I get 94/18 on a download test.

Couldn't be happier really.

congestion isn't it.

great speed those when you're not used to them :D
    you must be pretty close to the cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Really didnt want to be "that person" but guys can we get the thread back on track? There are multiple threads out there discussing Broadband services, speeds and costs. This is a Bargain thread for Deals on Sky TV Service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

Cancelled late last month, last bill today and going to be cut off on Friday.
    Still haven't got a call from them and mysky account shows "unable to proceed" when I check for upgrade offers on my account.
    When do they usually call? Have been on different offers with them for the last 5 years, never paid full price but this is the first time I cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Still waiting for them to offer a good deal for new subscribers who want to get the sports & HD pack. €79 is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wonder will they be offering any deals ahead of the new football season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

I got cut off yesterday, back on today with 50% off for next 9 months, no contract.

meathman0 wrote: »
    I got cut off yesterday, back on today with 50% off for next 9 months, no contract.

Did they ring you the next day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

raddo wrote: »
    Did they ring you the next day?

No I loged into my Sky account, and in my sky was a note saying exclusive offer 50% off for next 12 months so I rang to take the offer and was told it was uk offer and i explained mine is an Irish account, he could only give me 9 months,but I have no contract so can ring back when it finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I'm coming up to my 11th bill/month on contract, wondering when should I call to bargain for a discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm coming up to my 11th bill/month on contract, wondering when should I call to bargain for a discount?
    cancel now

I wawas with them for the full package.
    Was promised 24mb but got a max of 6 with 1mb more often the case.

Cancelled everything and getting 50mb with Eircom.
    Sky then called offering me 6 months free TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,319 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Check your billing date and ring on that date......obviously 1 month exactly before your contract will expire which will be the date of your 12th bill as you are billed a month in advance. You should check your bills online to see when your 12 month contract is up in relation to your billing date. If the 2 are the same then the 1 month notice on the billing date is fine. If the dates are different then you ring 31 days before the end of the contract.

cancel now
    He cant do that if there's still a few days to run before the last bill. If he does then he would be in breach of contract and could possibly leave himself open for payment of the equipment which is all down in the T & C's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I cancelled my entertainment pack on saturday - his opening offer was 20% off the normal price - "absolutely, positively the best I can do". so i told him i'd think about it but to go ahead with the cancellation. his last remark was "sure I'll call you in a week and maybe there'll be something better on the system".....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

My package finished this morning. I checked my sky account at 5 and they have a please come back offer 50% off for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

marvsins wrote: »
    My package finished this morning. I checked my sky account at 5 and they have a please come back offer 50% off for 12 months

You will be lucky to get that,had the same offer & was told it was UK only & the best they could offer me was 9 months at half price.
    Still took it though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

flynny50 wrote: »
    You will be lucky to get that,had the same offer & was told it was UK only & the best they could offer me was 9 months at half price.
    Still took it though!!

Are you on the standard package?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Are you on the standard package?

On the variety bundle so half price for 9 months but they will give you that on any package when re signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would Sky check and see if you can get E-vision from Eircom or fibre from UPC when you cancel, before offering deals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I just got a call from Sky offering me HD half price (i.e. 7.50 per month) for a year. They also have a two week trial available for 3.75. I feel I am paying more than enough for my Sky (I have Sky Sports) and also am not really watching much TV in this weather, and can't be bothered to take the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Lexxie

I have an offer till september for sports and entertainment for 46 goes back up to full price then, should i ring and say i'm going to cancel or ask for another offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

I phoned up to cancel sky. Our promotional offer of €32 is gone back to €55.74. The most he would do on that price is a 20% discount, so I cancelled.

We have Setanta and ESPN channels provided by BT. The representative told me that the BT package will no longer work without a subscription from sky. Does anyone know if this is true? From what I understood, it will still work once we have the box, card and dish!

He also said we wouldn't be able to watch RTE. I told him that I did know about Saorview and he said that a saorview box costs €200! Jesus I know they are trying to keep customers but the blatant lying frustrates me!

Unless they come back with 75% off I will not be renewing. The call from my mobile cost me over €10!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    I phoned up to cancel sky. Our promotional offer of €32 is gone back to €55.74. The most he would do on that price is a 20% discount, so I cancelled.

We have Setanta and ESPN channels provided by BT. The representative told me that the BT package will no longer work without a subscription from sky. Does anyone know if this is true? From what I understood, it will still work once we have the box, card and dish!

You'll be OK with your BT/Setanta subscription package. I left Sky a couple of weeks ago and can confirm you'll still have them.

As an aside, I'd remind them that the calls are recorded if they tried blatant lying to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

SONIC2008 wrote: »

He also said we wouldn't be able to watch RTE. I told him that I did know about Saorview and he said that a saorview box costs €200! Jesus I know they are trying to keep customers but the blatant lying frustrates me!

Unless they come back with 75% off I will not be renewing. The call from my mobile cost me over €10!

It seems to be normal enough to be told blatant lies by providers of various services these days. You could get a Saorview telly for €200, and Saorview boxes seem to cost about 30 bucks.

Went ahead and cancelled a month ago, cut off last night/this morning.
    Checked mysky account and there was an offer for 50% off for 12 months, rang up and the best they could do was 50% off for 9 months with no contract.
    Happy with that so signed up again.

Thanks for the reply.

Ya i looked up the saorview box, €39.99 in argos. I bought a 32" saorview for my own room for €250 last year. The tv in the sitting room is freeview not saorview so we can easily buy one.

So I'm also confused about when an ex subscription sky card becomes inactive. Ideally we would renew our BT subscription if we know our sky card would remain active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

My twelfth payment to sky is coming up at the start of August. I'm currently paying €36 p/m for the variety package. Could anyone tell me if I'd have any chance of getting the sports added to my package for the year if I ring up and cancel or would it only happen for long term customers. The only way I would keep sky any longer is if I got the sports channels added for the same price (or less if possible!)
    Also, when would be the best time to ring?

My twelfth payment to sky is coming up at the start of August. I'm currently paying €36 p/m for the variety package. Could anyone tell me if I'd have any chance of getting the sports added to my package for the year if I ring up and cancel or would it only happen for long term customers. The only way I would keep sky any longer is if I got the sports channels added for the same price (or less if possible!)
    Also, when would be the best time to ring?

There is no good time to ring. You simply have to ring up and cancel because "I can no longer afford it". I've been on promotion offers for over two years. I never call them back after the initial cancelation. They just start calling, but from reading more recently I think they start offering promotions by email.

If they have an inclination that you want more items added at this stage, you will get nowhere. Just call up and cancel. You'll get an email that your account is cancelled but just hang tough and the offers will come in. They need you more than you need them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Thanks, as I said unless they were gonna give me something extra for the same price or less I'd get rid. Just don't find its worth the money at the min. Hoping to go back to college anyway so could do with the money. I'll ring up and just cancel anyway. See if the offer me anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Went ahead and cancelled a month ago, cut off last night/this morning.
    Checked mysky account and there was an offer for 50% off for 12 months, rang up and the best they could do was 50% off for 9 months with no contract.
    Happy with that so signed up again.

Where did you see the offer?

Sneachta wrote: »
    Where did you see the offer?

I was on the front page of mysky page when I signed in

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

I was on the front page of mysky page when I signed in

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My yearly phone call this morning to continue my half price package and as usual was offered 20% off. Told them to cancel and I will now play the waiting game. Funnily enough the lady on the phone said a customer will only get half price just the once and later on she was checking my account and seen I have gotten it 4/5 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

I too did my call today, I was on a 20% deal for the Variety Bundle + HD. Offer was 30% off bundle and nothing off HD (so €40 instead of €51). Told them no thanks. To be honest I have a major issue with €15 still for HD and for the amount I watch Sky vs other methods it is not worth the money.

I would probably have taken it for around €30 or so, but it is not worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Rang up to see what i could get, only have variety and was asking about the sports. She could give me the sports half price for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi. I'm currently paying about 99\month for HD/sports/movies, got a deal last year which brought it down to about 75. What is the best I can hope for this time around? I do love my sky, had it for well over 10 years and I think Sky go extra is the business. Having said that I also have UPC in other rooms and for broadband so am pretty serious about leaving if I have to. I need to cut costs and paying almost a 100 is not on anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mattb74 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm currently paying about 99\month for HD/sports/movies, got a deal last year which brought it down to about 75. What is the best I can hope for this time around? I do love my sky, had it for well over 10 years and I think Sky go extra is the business. Having said that I also have UPC in other rooms and for broadband so am pretty serious about leaving if I have to. I need to cut costs and paying almost a 100 is not on anymore.

I pay half that for the same package.Deals are available although you might need to cancel and sit tight for a week or 3.

I just got offered basic and sports for 41 a month and took it but when i checked my sky they are charging me 57 :confused:

The guy was very clear in what I would be paying and what I would get.

Rang them back and they said they are looking into it and will ring me back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Do you have HD? if so they've offered you the basic and sports for 41 and then the full price HD charge.

dave13 wrote: »
    Do you have HD? if so they've offered you the basic and sports for 41 and then the full price HD charge.

Never had HD no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Ronan wrote: »
    I too did my call today, I was on a 20% deal for the Variety Bundle + HD. Offer was 30% off bundle and nothing off HD (so €40 instead of €51). Told them no thanks. To be honest I have a major issue with €15 still for HD and for the amount I watch Sky vs other methods it is not worth the money.

I would probably have taken it for around €30 or so, but it is not worth more.

I'm the same here, hd is the sad now to pay 15 euro is nuts given how good bbc, it hd is etc. So I'm going to get one of the new tv that takes a saorview and sat signal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

gally74 wrote: »
    I'm the same here, hd is the sad now to pay 15 euro is nuts given how good bbc, it hd is etc. So I'm going to get one of the new tv that takes a saorview and sat signal....

thats what i did, I justified spending a fortune on a really nice tv by saving a fortune by ditching sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I see in the Sky sales booth at the Athlone Town Centre you get a €50 shopping centre voucher if you sign up for Sky as a new customer

• Advertisement
Advertisement