Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just joined a gym..

Options
  • 31-03-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

And I'm lost. If I'm going to be honest I've joined the gym because I want a better body plain and simple. No other reason.

But I haven't a clue where to start, What programme to follow, My diet... etc.

I've done a lot of reading and it has just confused me even more. I'm in ok shape. I'm 25 5'11 and weigh 72kgs. I'm lean enough in my upper body and in my legs with some small muscle definition. My stomach is a potbelly and looks out of place compared to the rest of me, but when I tense I can see my 6 pack.

I want to get rid of the pot belly but I also want to get a bit bigger, I have quite skinny arms.

What do I do? Bear in mind I have never done any kind of lifting before, I play sports and run and walk a lot I'm very active and quite fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

And I'm lost. If I'm going to be honest I've joined the gym because I want a better body plain and simple. No other reason.

But I haven't a clue where to start, What programme to follow, My diet... etc.

I've done a lot of reading and it has just confused me even more. I'm in ok shape. I'm 25 5'11 and weigh 72kgs. I'm lean enough in my upper body and in my legs with some small muscle definition. My stomach is a potbelly and looks out of place compared to the rest of me, but when I tense I can see my 6 pack.

I want to get rid of the pot belly but I also want to get a bit bigger, I have quite skinny arms.

What do I do? Bear in mind I have never done any kind of lifting before, I play sports and run and walk a lot I'm very active and quite fit.

Are there any personal trainers in ur gym ? A couple of sessions would do you the world of good at ur stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Are there any personal trainers in ur gym ? A couple of sessions would do you the world of good at ur stage

There are qualified gym instructors alright, They offer free assesments.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Book an assessment they normally include gym program and diet advise and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Main thing is to get them to show you proper technique for the main compounds like squattin', deadlift and bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I suggest you book in for one of the free assessments they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They will ask what you want out of it and show you each of the exercises they want you to do. Just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Everything you will need to know...

https://www.youtube.com/user/BroScienceLife

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Zamboni wrote: »
    Everything you will need to know...

https://www.youtube.com/user/BroScienceLife

This was very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Advertisement