Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Camp for Teenagers

Options
  • 14-03-2015 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm want to go to a "fat camp" this summer, I'm 17 and I'm overweight so does anyone know of any courses? Maybe like a summer camp like the Gaeltacht? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DaniiH15 wrote: »
    I'm want to go to a "fat camp" this summer, I'm 17 and I'm overweight so does anyone know of any courses? Maybe like a summer camp like the Gaeltacht? Thanks

Even if you go to "fat camp", you will come back and eat the same foods, do the same amount of exercise and whatever you lost will pile straight back on. You need to change your lifestyle to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Even if you go to "fat camp", you will come back and eat the same foods, do the same amount of exercise and whatever you lost will pile straight back on. You need to change your lifestyle to lose weight.

Yes but I'm sure these camps teach the kids coping techniques for their return home. I think DCU run these kind of camps. Depends where you're living though? They might be pretty expensive. You could buy a couple of healthy eating cookbooks that have meal plans you could follow. Also, I'd highly recommend purchasing an electric weighing scale and weigh absolutely everything so you're eating the correct portions. I have a Salter one and find it great. If you're not comfortable going to the gym, buy some exercise DVD's and workout at home. I was overweight from age 14-22, so I know how hard it is. I'm 35 now and finally have a good relationship with food. Try to educate yourself by reading up on nutrition on the Internet. There's tonnes of videos on YouTube. Sorry for waffling on! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

'Fat Camps' usually don't work as they are a short-term fix to a long-term problem. Starting doing some sort of regular exercise, 30min walk 3x a week is a decent start for a heavily overweight person. Fixing your diet is the biggest part, start making gradual changes, going 'cold turkey' will be useless in the long run as you'll probably slip back to the old way. Try cooking your own meals as much as possible rather than readymeals or takeaway and focus on eating more vegetables and less processed food.

It's a slow process but a fatcamp will likely do nothing for you once you finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

All they would be is a lot of exercise and some classes on nutrition.

You can get the same for free anywhere. It won't be as quick, but it doesn't have to be.

OP, there are some really good stickies in this forum and the Nutrition & Diet sub-forum that give a lot of good info.

What is a typical day's eating like and how much control do you have over lunch, dinner etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The problem with fat camps is generally not the kids but the parents when they come home. Kids are taken out of their current environment and taught exercise and nutrition. Come home and parents are "yeah we get those salads but for tonight let's just have chips..". Already one step back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

try look for local branches of things like unislim and slimming world. They have loads of recipes which sound so delicious and satisfying. take up a new sport, or go for a run. Even the smallest adjustments will eventually make a difference. Make sure you are always happy and motivated, as I've seen people who have re-lapsed after certain stressful situations, and have lost all will power. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I certainly don't condone Katy Hopkins attitude however what she says about eating less and exercising more is essentially correct unless you are obese due to an illness etc.

A healthy lifestyle consisting of regular exercise and a healthy diet is key.

Changing your habits at home is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DaniiH15

All they would be is a lot of exercise and some classes on nutrition.

You can get the same for free anywhere. It won't be as quick, but it doesn't have to be.

OP, there are some really good stickies in this forum and the Nutrition & Diet sub-forum that give a lot of good info.

What is a typical day's eating like and how much control do you have over lunch, dinner etc?

I joined slimming world in January and I've lost 1stone 2 pounds so far but I've 4 more to lose to get to just level bmi (also need to do it for health reasons as you can imagine) .. And I'm at a standstill, I'm not losing or gaining weight and I know that by the summer I'll be back to my old habits because of all my free time so I was thinking on going to a "fat" camp for a few weeks so it would keep me on track and keep me busy :)

Advertisement