Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Dromroe. Browsing speed is fine, but downloading from iTunes is interminable the last week or so, and I was trying to get some audio clips from audioblocks for a project I'm working on and the bloody pages are taking like 40 seconds to load.

First world problems. :P

The horrors!

If you go onto speedtest.net and screenshot the result and send it to me I can use it to show him how laggy/slow the connection is.

So coming back from college today I had just gotten on my bike when the front brakes locked an threw me over the handlebars. My poor knee is all swollen and sore. A nice man helped me up though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Dromroe. Browsing speed is fine, but downloading from iTunes is interminable the last week or so, and I was trying to get some audio clips from audioblocks for a project I'm working on and the bloody pages are taking like 40 seconds to load.

First world problems. :P

Plassey had that issue for the past week or two as well...It goes off and on and also, it's supperrr slow !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Just me, or is the wired internet gone to sh*te lately?

I'm not on campus, but Brookfield are throttling the hell out of me atm.
    It's funny to do a speedtest at 11.59pm and get 0.5mb download, then do one again at 12:01 and get 10mb down. Everyday from 6pm - 12am.
    I did download a huge amount a few weeks back so I sort of deserved it, but they should have let up on it by now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

It's funny to do a speedtest at 11.59pm and get 0.5mb download, then do one again at 12:01 and get 10mb down. Everyday from 6pm - 12am.
    I did download a huge amount a few weeks back so I sort of deserved it, but they should have let up on it by now..

Groody was like that to me last year.
    Could go through a spell of 12 hours and suddenly would turn off for an hour or so or go to slow it may as well be. I stopped using wireless about a week in because it cut off every 20 mins or so..

It picked up as the year went on but was so frustrating at times.. :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Last night I was getting 3 down, 5 up...

This morning...

4287996036.png

YOU WORK FAST iLaura! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Thought it was just happening to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

iLaura wrote: »
    While this has absolutely nothing to do about bitching in UL, this is probably the most visited thread. There's a new link for Cite it Right, and it is so much more helpful than the pdf version. It can be found here; http://www3.ul.ie/referencing/miniSite/bookEdited.htm :)

Has this link stopped working for anyone else?

shano_88 wrote: »
    Has this link stopped working for anyone else?

Its still working for me on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

iLaura wrote: »
    Its still working for me on my phone
    Ya, its working again now for me, Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Whatever about me only using a whole carton of my own milk on a handful of occasions this year, eating nearly the entire jar of nutella and leaving the near empty one back into my cupboard is not cool! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

sup_dude wrote: »
    Whatever about me only using a whole carton of my own milk on a handful of occasions this year, eating nearly the entire jar of nutella and leaving the near empty one back into my cupboard is not cool! :(

How have you not murdered them by mow?!! Have you ever said anything about the amount of your food that they eat?

sibby wrote: »
    How have you not murdered them by mow?!! Have you ever said anything about the amount of your food that they eat?

I never see them. By the time I get back, they're usually gone somewhere or in bed. I haven't had any conversation at all with two of my housemates and only said a few sentences in total to the other two. I'm gonna have to leave a note but I hate doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Should be super passive aggressive :P

Fellow housemates,

I've noticed some stuff of mine going missing throughout the year but today I'm afraid was the straw that broke the camel's back.
    Therefore, if all my items that have been stole from me throughout the year aren't returned in full, either the items or their equivalent in cash, then I'm going to start putting horse tranquilizers in various food items in the fridge.
    If after 3 days I still haven't got my items back, I'm going to start setting fire to peoples rooms at random.

Enjoy your day,

Sup_dude

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

If any of you's know someone who is looking for a ticket for the raceday tomorrow, let me know ASAP.

Really want to get rid of this ticket

Is it possible to print from your laptop in the library instead of logging onto the computers and print it there? If so, how?

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Is it possible to print from your laptop in the library instead of logging onto the computers and print it there? If so, how?

Yep, you can. Go to the desk in the main computer room and ask the ladies there for the slip to print from your laptop. They give you a little sheet with information on how to do it. As far as I remember it involves connecting to the server

People lying outside in the sun enjoying themselves while I'm in the library doing an essay.
    Cheek of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I've one module this semester that is stressing me out so much so I'm just wondering if I fail a module this semester but my QCA is still over 2 do I have to repeat it?

Last semester my QCA was 3.5 so does that mean if I get a QCA of 2.0 or above this semester I've passed and don't need to repeat the module even if I fail it really badly? Or do I just need a QCA of 0.5 to pass the year overall?

I really don't understand how QCA works at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I've one module this semester that is stressing me out so much so I'm just wondering if I fail a module this semester but my QCA is still over 2 do I have to repeat it?

Last semester my QCA was 3.5 so does that mean if I get a QCA of 2.0 or above this semester I've passed and don't need to repeat the module even if I fail it really badly? Or do I just need a QCA of 0.5 to pass the year overall?

I really don't understand how QCA works at all.

If you fail a module, you have to repeat it no matter how well you do in everything else. If you get a D1 or D2, you don't have to repeat it as long as your qca is above 2.0. But if it's an F or worse, you have to repeat it no matter what.

If you fail a module, you have to repeat it no matter how well you do in everything else. If you get a D1 or D2, you don't have to repeat it as long as your qca is above 2.0. But if it's an F or worse, you have to repeat it no matter what.

Ok thanks :)

• Advertisement

So... The UL site is hacked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Funniest thing I've seen all day. I needed that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ITD have responded saying that its not their problem, there is no hack and if people want to use the actual UL site they need to use IE5

freyners wrote: »
    ITD have responded saying that its not their problem, there is no hack and if people want to use the actual UL site they need to use IE5

:pac:
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/07/article-1264092-081D0A9F000005DC-144_468x339.jpg

What happened? Was something written on the site?!

Yeah it's still there

sibby wrote: »
    What happened? Was something written on the site?!

The webpage won't load for me, keeps saying error 503. This is what comes up apparently though

http://gyazo.com/8306189fd3f13706f405ecbaaf715b1c

EDIT: Better quality image; http://gyazo.com/275733d3e1214ab29be2250f33622380

My phone was acting up and not loading the page. Just seen it there now.....wtf?!!!

Music is epic lads in fairness. Shazam can't figure out what it is. Would love to have it as study music. :P

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »

Furthermore, there never even was a UL website to hack to begin with.

Furthermore, there never even was a UL website to hack to begin with.

Head of ITD Ian McKenzie sent out an email acknowledging it just now :P

Internet gone to shít in Plassey? Getting no internet access every 10-15mins and it's been like this for an hour maybe.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Internet gone to shít in Plassey? Getting no internet access every 10-15mins and it's been like this for an hour maybe.

Seems to have fixed itself now..The one night I get to Skype one of my US friends who is away every few months :( F*cking Plassey.

What absolute disgusting piece of **** left this in CSIS? :eek::eek::eek:

Found it behind a monitor this morning and feel ill just looking at it :(

It's bad enough my housemates decide to scream up to each other from downstairs at upstairs at 00:30-1:00 when they know I'm in bed, very sick with flu and tonsillitis but seriously, blasting crappy Youtuber collabs at 8am-now and laughing hysterically is really going to make me so much better!

God, I can't wait till you guys move out.. but no more being nice, I'm going to stop using earphones and blast my own tv and movies at unreasonable hours of the day and night.

Payback time.

• Advertisement

Oh. My. God. That is absolutely disgusting!

Finished my Literature Review months ago. Four days left until submission of completed FYP, my supervisor essentially tells me I need to redo the entire thing. Even my headings are wrong! She's received multiple copies of my lit review since I finished it and no word on it except to make it a bit longer. I'm absolutely raging :mad: Also, my results are good? Good?! Majority of them don't even make sense, hence why my discussion is so short for each part... it's exceedingly difficult to think of a reason for each of the results, nevermind go and find papers that back up that reason... :mad: Four days left and she springs this crap on me, something she should have told me months ago and would take weeks to rectify. And then act as if it was my fault, as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Went to O'Mahony's today to buy a scissors, got one happy days, off home to do me some paper cuttin'..
    I get home and realise there's a little cable tie holding the scissors onto the packaging..So you need a scissors to open it..Why?? :confused::confused: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

kerryked wrote: »
    Went to O'Mahony's today to buy a scissors, got one happy days, off home to do me some paper cuttin'..
    I get home and realise there's a little cable tie holding the scissors onto the packaging..So you need a scissors to open it..Why?? :confused::confused: :pac:

This is what I never understood! Why is the packaging made so hard that you actually can only open it with another scissors (though a knife might work)?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Finished my Literature Review months ago. Four days left until submission of completed FYP, my supervisor essentially tells me I need to redo the entire thing. Even my headings are wrong! She's received multiple copies of my lit review since I finished it and no word on it except to make it a bit longer. I'm absolutely raging :mad: Also, my results are good? Good?! Majority of them don't even make sense, hence why my discussion is so short for each part... it's exceedingly difficult to think of a reason for each of the results, nevermind go and find papers that back up that reason... :mad: Four days left and she springs this crap on me, something she should have told me months ago and would take weeks to rectify. And then act as if it was my fault, as always.

Feck :( as if the FYP isn't enough stress by itself! Sorry to hear about your crappy FYP supervisor. Can you complain about her?

• Advertisement

Feck :( as if the FYP isn't enough stress by itself! Sorry to hear about your crappy FYP supervisor. Can you complain about her?

I have several times before. There's nothing really they can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

:mad: Awful. It's a good thing I didn't find it, I nearly lost the plot today in 2044, what with all the happy campers taking up the good computers, chatting, laughing.....

And of course, my usual computer (the one with the working keyboard) is out of order.

:mad: Awful. It's a good thing I didn't find it, I nearly lost the plot today in 2044, what with all the happy campers taking up the good computers, chatting, laughing.....

And of course, my usual computer (the one with the working keyboard) is out of order.

I'm always in 2044. This is the one day I was up in 3005b. I feel so sick just thinking about it :eek: All of the labs are so loud and busy all the time now :(

I've a lab exam tomorrow, and out of the list of 10 possible circuits to be made, one of them none of us can decipher what we're even meant to draw, let along be able to make. Then there's another one that we never did in the labs! This exam is meant to test previous labs that we've done, not ones we were told to skip from the manual!:confused::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Anybody in the gym when it was evacuated today? :pac:

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Anybody in the gym when it was evacuated today? :pac:

Why was it evacuated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Why was it evacuated?

It wasn't really, but while I was there a really loud speaker came on saying something like 'due to circumstances out of our control, the gym is being evacuated, please go to the nearest exit.'

So we all went down to the reception, a big crowd of us there and the receptionists told us we could go back up! Was strange enough!

Next time someone skateboarding crashes into me I'm gonna pick up the board and whack them straight over the head with it.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can store clothes and a bag tomorrow morning? It would be for an hour or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can store clothes and a bag tomorrow morning? It would be for an hour or so?

Students Union will do it for a euro

• Advertisement
Advertisement